Already regretting my choice....

Discussion in 'Aquarium Controllers' started by dustint21, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jonmos75

jonmos75 Well-Known Member Platinum Sponsor

dustint21 likes this.

2. V4Vendetta

V4Vendetta Well-Known Member

deeznut's network isn't your wifi?? I've never seen a wifi signal that strong that's wasn't mine from my house.

Zack Klabunde likes this.
  3. Aaron Atkinson

Aaron Atkinson Active Member

Hang in there. I was super frustrated when setting up my apex. Neptune support does respond and they are helpful. Try them first and if it doesn’t work BRS will more than likely take care of you.

4. coil1002

coil1002 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

I had some issues setting up the networking on mine as well Apex.local never worked for me i used the peafinder app to get the ip of the apex once i was connected and then it was smooth sailing. apex.local only works if you use the full http link http://apex.local

This link helped me a lot https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/apexng/apex-wifi/
    I was pulling my hair out too but once i figured out how to set up wifi it was easy from there

5. fredjr

fredjr Well-Known Member

Sorry man. I hope I don't have the same problem. Guess I'll find out this weekend when I install mine.

6. dustint21

dustint21 Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Going to call tomorrow. I normally do not have issues stream videos or online game play.

That is my shops WiFi it is part of my in home network.

Thank you!
    Thank you I will check it out!
    No worries! I’m sure it will all get figured out in the end. I have submitted a ticket with Neptune.

7. minus9

minus9 Well-Known Member

The reason there's a calibration mode for the orp probe, is it can be used as a second pH probe. Also, did you do the firmware update? After connecting to wifi, you'll probably have to perform a firmware update. This is what I did when I set up mine recently. I did have an issue with the pH probe not calibrating, but they sent me a new one after sending the defective one back. I hope you get this sorted soon. I would call/email Neptune systems first. The have great support. Good luck!

Maddlesrain, dustint21 and Tucker64 like this.
  8. Terence

Terence Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Platinum Sponsor

I think I might see the problem here - you already are connected to the Apex via its wifi, Apex_Setup SSID. Then, at that screen you see, you are supposed to select your home network. It shows in your screenshot two routers. You should pick the one that is your home router and then it will ask for the password for your home router. At that point, it will disconnect you from Apex_Setup SSID and you should be able to find the apex on your home network from your device (also on your home network). Right now it seems you are simply working with the Apex in access point mode.

Screen Shot 2017-12-07 at 8.21.23 AM.png

9. Mark Gray

Mark Gray Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2018

Hope it works out I Jane mine hard wired I used flat cat 5 cable. I love myh Apex has saved me thousands. It has save the tank many time I just bought another for my new build

dustint21 likes this.
  10. dustint21

Hey Terence! I did figure that part out. I’m still having connection issues. I did some reading last night on some of the link provided and sent by Neptune after I submitted a ticket. I’m going to buy another router and see if that helps. Of the two in the pic only one is setup. It’s older so maybe that’s part of the issue?

11. Terence

Which one is your home network? That is the one you should select on that screen. Either the Deeznutz one or the NETGEAR one. Do that, then enter your wifi password and it should work. If you still have problems, and you have submitted a support ticket, they will contact you and give you a hand.

12. dustint21

I have done that multiple times. Then the apex loses connection with the WiFi. Push the reset button on the apex for 5 seconds and reconnect. Then 5-10 minutes go by and the apex loses connection again....

13. AcanthurusRex

AcanthurusRex Well-Known Member

Based on the thread title I wasn't inclined to comment but if your going to work through the issues...
    I've been running the Apex since last Xmas. I was not happy with the stability until I turned off the WiFi. I purchases a NetGear network extender with an access port for about $30. Never a stability issue after that. Not going to speculate on the causes but the 3 ecotech pumps screaming 2.4GHz next to the unit could be an issue in my case.

14. dustint21

I have no way to get a cable to the apex. The tank is in front of a window (only place it would fit). That means dropping a cable down the wall is a no go. The router is across the living room from the tank in a closet. My wife would not be happy if I had a cable run across the floor. That’s the whole reason I got the 2016 apex with WiFi.

15. AcanthurusRex

AcanthurusRex Well-Known Member

No long cable involved. I placed it in a power strip mounted to the back of the stand no more that a foot away from the apex.
    NETGEAR AC1200 WiFi Range Extender

MnFish1, dustint21 and XNavyDiver like this.
  16. Terence

For now I would refrain from trying to work it out here until you have had a chance to interact with our support team.

Zack Klabunde and dustint21 like this.
  17. dustint21

Thanks I will check it out for sure!

18. Roger Galburt

Roger Galburt Active Member

Call Apex support, they will walk you through its setup. Mine has been trouble free and apex always helpful They have even answered support questions on weekends.

19. dustint21

Ticket has been submitted since 9:16pm last night. Waiting to hear back.

20. Terence

Dustin, I don't know where the miscommunication is but 52 minutes after you submitted a ticket our support team responded, after hours, and gave you a list of things to try and do. We have not heard back from you after that email. Please respond to support and they will continue to help you or even schedule a call to resolve it with you over the phone or helping you with a screen share if necessary.

Draft saved Draft deleted