Alright what the heck do I have and what am I doing wrong!!! :)

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)
Alright, I've been working diligently and stalking this board for 8 months since I started my tank.. I feel like corals are starting to grow (mostly), but I've purchased so many random things at shows and online that I just plain don't know what I have.... Will some kind soul help me id this stuff and tell me if they see me doing anything blatantly wrong????? I'm so close to having a tank I can be proud of!!!!

Any other recommendations of what stuff I should add would be great! Or if I should just wait and let stuff grow.....

1 My tank
IMG_2423.jpg

2. My tank closer
IMG_2422.jpg

3. This green guy just started out of nowhere from behind a rock....
IMG_2421.jpg

4. This plate coral looks a little bleached, but is growing like a weed.....
IMG_2418.jpg

5. He's growing great too! No idea what it is!
IMG_2419.jpg

6. Again. Growing great, but what should I do with the little bits of algae?
IMG_2417.jpg

7. Flow pot coral???? Just kinda sits there but doesnt grow.... See the two random zoas growing the sand??? What should I do with them?????
IMG_2416.jpg

8. I think an Emerald Crab was crunching on this guy.. He has a little color, but is he dead?
IMG_2415.jpg

9. This is growing well... What is it?
IMG_2412.jpg

10. Not my favorite, but growing.. But kinda stretched out..... What do I call it?
IMG_2411.jpg

11.. That flipping Emerald Crab was crunching on this guy too... Is it dead?
IMG_2410.jpg

12. This was green star polyps I believe... They were doing great and grew past the plug I glued to the rock... But now they've grown male pattern baldness in the middle.....

IMG_2407.jpg

13... This guy was an original coral and somehow survived some bag algae blooms... He doesn't really grow... And never opens up on the top (i assume that part is dead). What should I do with him.... Also are those orange zoas growing down instead of up because of too much light?????
IMG_2413.jpg

ihavecrabs

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @DexterPhi

#WelcometoR2R

The algae on your orange setosa is abnormally normal! Mine did the same thing for months and finally overcame the algae and killed it off.
#5 looks like pocillopora

#7 are hard to keep in a new tank. Doesn’t look all that happy and should be extended more. I wouldn’t change anything though.

#8 looks bleached but may recover just fine. Emerald crab was likely cleaning around it. They typically don’t go for coral.

#10 is Xenia. Try and keep it isolated as it will grow all over everything.

mph and for the zoanthids that are loose, you can get some rock rubble and super glue them to it. Use the gel superglue and a tiny amount.

hope this helps!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I'll take a stab at some of them.
1. Some really good booze.
3. Some kind of Palyothoa
4. Montipora Capricornus
5. Pocilopora
6. Montipora Setosa
9. APTASIA!!!
10. Pulsing Zenia
12. Green Star Polyp.

I'm sure my spelling is awful. Lets see how well we did.

By the way, some of those are pretty invasive.

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
+1 to Auquanut’s post. For #9, they are aiptasias and you really don’t want to have them in your tank because they grow fast, sting other corals, and kill them. You can kill them by squirting kalk paste or even squirting lemon juice on them.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very funny! Love the male pattern baldness.

I agree with @Auquanut

Get rid of those Aptasia NOW. As in ASAP. IMO Aptasia X or Pickling Lime work best. Make a thick past of the lime. I think Kalkwasser works the same. Forget lemon juice. Too thin and difficult to do.

The star polyps and pocilopora can get out of control. Best to put them on their own separate rock or glue them to the back wall of your tank.

Zoas can go pretty much anywhere.

You do have a couple of ones that have some dead areas. Easiest thing to do is leave them alone.

Welcome!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, #9 is not aiptasia but almost as invasive. Yellow palys

Green star polyps, xenia, yellow palys, pocillipora ....you've got the nuisance coral hat trick going on there. :D :p :) All of those can be decent additions to a tank but they can get out of hand very quicly.

The montipora setosa is a keeper. Beautiful coral.

The "plate coral" is actually a plating monti. These are what most people refer to as plate corals

10-17plates (1 of 1).jpg

OP
OP
DexterPhi

DexterPhi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much everyone for the help!
I’m pretty sure #9 isn’t aip Because I’m 80% sure I paid money for it and glued him there... but I’m pretty sure there might be some at the sand edge... yikes I already ordered Red Sea aiptasia x killer today.... hopefully it doesn’t get out of control...

It seems most beginner coral are also invasive so I tried to keep them all on the same rock hoping they would compete with each other... Worst case I could move the whole rock... I could just remove the rock if it got out of control....

thanks so much for the help! This is a challenging hobby but lots of fun and very rewarding if you can get things dialed in... I think I’m getting close!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
#9 - agree yellow polyps - NOT APTASIA and they grow quickly
Tank looks like its off to a great start and not enough booze above the tank. One disaster and you seem to have the booze ready.
Store plenty of vodka for dosing !

Last edited:

TheOne

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Basically from what I can see it looks like you have a drinking problem. But don't worry because we have a support forum your welcome to join. ;)

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the first impressions I made on this forum.... I’m an Aiptasia farming alcoholic....
Well, If the shoe fits..... totally changing my profile name.....
Only saw one. One can become a lot. Wish I can tell you an good way for removal but when I try it makes it worse.
I want to try nudi and copperband butterfly. I suggest reading about them before they become a problem.

Tank looks good and welcome

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 169 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back