Alternates to rocks

Discussion in 'Aquascape Discussion' started by Bryce M., Oct 17, 2018.

1. Bryce M.

Bryce M. Member

Hey guys, I've been wondering for a while what else can I use instead of rocks, since getting rocks can be expensive and tiring. Thank you.

Tags:

2. theKoolAidMan

theKoolAidMan Active Member

I mean, the bacteria you need for chemical filtration will grow on anything, so rock isn't a requirement. We just use it because it looks natural and is porous so it can hold a lot of bacteria.

Bryce M. likes this.
  3. Bryce M.

Bryce M. Member

I like the natural look, but with somethings I'm afraid of putting in because of chemicals

4. theKoolAidMan

theKoolAidMan Active Member

If you like the natural look but Live Rock is too expensive, then perhaps use dry rock which is much less. Trade off is that it will be white instead of covered in coraline at the start and your cycle will be longer, but you'll save $$

5. HolisticBear

HolisticBear Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Partner Member 2018 Build Thread Contributor

Ceramic rock is popular in some corners and there are multiple manufacturers, most in Europe. Here's a company in the States:
    https://aqua-tecture.com

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    VSVP bet likes this.
  6. leahfiish

leahfiish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

You can use substitute biomedia such as Seachem Matrix, MarinePure, or Brightwell Xport blocks as a substitute for the filtration properties of live rock, and seed it with bottled bacteria.

HolisticBear likes this.
  7. NY_Caveman

NY_Caveman Troglodyte R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

I have seen folks use calcium reactor media for a substrate and it actually looks pretty cool and fairly natural.

8. Bryce M.

Bryce M. Member

Those are amazing, thank you

9. joe berkman

joe berkman Member

IMG_1158.JPG IMG_1162.JPG When I started out I wanted a fish only with an eel. I also watched a lot of tanked.

BringingThatDottyback likes this.
  10. Bryce M.

Bryce M. Member

Haha, you started out just like me, although I did end up getting my moray, he lives happily with my corals and fish.

norfolkgarden likes this.
  11. ChuzUThisDay

ChuzUThisDay Active Member

How crazy would it be to make a base structure out of light diffuser only? So instead of rock, everything would be light diffuser. This would allow plenty of room for placing frag plugs wherever you wanted.

It’s been some time since I’ve seen or heard someone mention a remote DSB, but what if all the rock, media, etc was remote (rock cooking in garbage can with no light, with a heater, and water stirred with a pump/power head) and plumbed in-line with the tank return? There would be as much bacteria as needed and it would all be out of sight.

Just a crazy thought that’s been floating in my head.

12. Bryce M.

Bryce M. Member

Honestly I love a natural look for my display but the can thing sound interesting. I'm making plans for a 25,000 and for filtration I plan to use large containers as reactors.

13. dmcoates

dmcoates Member

Check out Aquarocks on Facebook. Just have to make sure you add biomedia to the sump. I went with marinepure, pretty sure I have more surface area now when when I had rock in the display

IMG_3826.JPG