Alternative to Live Aquaria

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past year or so Live Aquaria quality and service has really fallen off. Today was the last time I will use them. I'm looking for an alternative. I don't have a Lfs near me. Here's the story. I ordered a leaopard wrasse from Divers Den and 3 cleaner shrimp from the regular live Aquaria site. The fish came doa ice cold. No heat packs in the box!! They never shipped the shrimp. I called and they couldn't tell me why the order did not ship or when it would. This seems to be happening more and more often. It's really unfortunate. They used to be great. I am wondering if anyone else has noticed the drop off in quality.

fermentedhiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used bluezoo three times and never had any trouble with them. I've also used saltwater fish.com once and everything was fine. Kpaquatics is also good for some harder to find things.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say the guy on the phone was very nice. Luckily it was over 150.00 so my entire order should be refunded because of the free shipping.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a lower quality in Liveaquaria. I also have been looking for an alternative. Bluezoo I have had pretty good luck with and kp aquatics. However, neither have the fish I want or are looking for. Also, captive bred are my normal choice and it is hard to find good selections anywhere.

billandwende

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with www.Reefs4less.com They have an arrive alive guarantee but after arrival your on your own. Most prices are good (please compare as some are not so good) and the DOAs that I've had were refunded. At least I think they were. Oh Heck now I got to go check my VISA statements.

I started using them after LA would ship my fish for Saturday delivery too late to make the flights. The fish would die at the airport waiting for Sunday flights and arrive on Monday. This happened several times and I was always met with an uncaring attitude about the issue.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no complaints about LiveAquaria's quality, but I am disappointed in other changes. My Diver's Den orders have all been great. However, I took a leap of faith this past month and purchased a one spot fox face from their California facility (non Diver's Den) and the fish has both flukes and ich. He's stuck in my 20 gallon QT until at least early March.

So my biggest complaints with LiveAquaria are the following changes made over this past year:
1) We must now spend $149 to get free shipping... it used to be free by spending $99
2) There is a $9.99 boxing fee for ALL orders
3) Reward program isn't as good... you must use your reward points within 2-3 months after earning them
4) They now only credit your account for anything that dies within 14 days rather than giving you your money back

Lastly, I haven't been able to confirm this yet... but I heard they have also changed who they get their fish from.

These changes all occurred after Petco bought them out. So sounds like a bunch of executive leadership decided to improve their margins at the cost of what used to be an amazing customer experience.

I'm most likely going to be buying most if not all future fish from TSM Aquatics who is only 40 minutes away from me. It's a shame because all my fish and half of my corals are from LiveAquaria.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought from them, but spotted a parasitic iscopod on one of the fish they were selling on their website. Check out my thread "How did LiveAquaria miss this one???" if you want more details. I have heard great things about Tampa Bay Saltwater for rock and stuff, KP Aquatics has good reviews, and I like the looks of Tidal Gardens.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA have changed a number of their policies, but most just within the last year or two. Petco bought DFS back in 2015 (or maybe 2016). Most of the changes were to bring them inline with the other large online sellers presumably to make them (more) profitable. LA guarantee used to be the best in the industry; now they’re just average. As far as I know, quality marine Is still their source. If anyone knows for sure (not some guy said) that this has changed please say so.

I’ve not noted any material change to the selection or quality of the fish over the last few years. Lot of disease in the supply chain though.

Pau Hana Reefer

got reef?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LA have changed a number of their policies, but most just within the last year or two. Petco bought DFS back in 2015 (or maybe 2016). Most of the changes were to bring them inline with the other large online sellers presumably to make them (more) profitable. LA guarantee used to be the best in the industry; now they’re just average. As far as I know, quality marine Is still their source. If anyone knows for sure (not some guy said) that this has changed please say so.

I’ve not noted any material change to the selection or quality of the fish over the last few years. Lot of disease in the supply chain though.

Thanks for keeping me honest. I must've misunderstood something I read along the way about when they were bought out by Petco.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t ordered from them yet, but Aqualocker.com looks good. I spent probably 15 minutes on the phone talking with the owner. Prices there can be quite a bit cheaper than LA.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t ordered from them yet, but Aqualocker.com looks good. I spent probably 15 minutes on the phone talking with the owner. Prices there can be quite a bit cheaper than LA.
When they originally were fishy business they were honestly terrible. I recently gave them another shot since they revamped their policies. and honestly my experience was a total 180. The fish were nice size and healthy. Shipped nicely packed and they kept in communication with me after I lost a fish on the second day. Their guarentee covered it but they were out of stock on the replacement. Within a few days they had a replacement fish and let me know about it so it was actually kinda nice.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used bluezoo & kp in the past. I liked them better before la was bought out

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered many times from LA. It just went bad. Very poorly packed stuff that was a leaky mess that wasn't close to what I thought I was buying.

I have ordered several times from Aqua Locker and am very satisfied with what I received. I have also received fish from Saltwaterfish.com and it was okay.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with www.Reefs4less.com They have an arrive alive guarantee but after arrival your on your own. Most prices are good (please compare as some are not so good) and the DOAs that I've had were refunded. At least I think they were. Oh Heck now I got to go check my VISA statements.

I started using them after LA would ship my fish for Saturday delivery too late to make the flights. The fish would die at the airport waiting for Sunday flights and arrive on Monday. This happened several times and I was always met with an uncaring attitude about the issue.
This. I have honestly stopped buying fish from anyone else. Tangs as low as $20-$30, other fish generally also very very cheap, and occasionally even some great acro frags (~$30 for a small colony).

Inventory changes rapidly, so this is one of those "check it daily" vendors. But really, they've replaced all other online fish vendors for me.

I've never had any problems with BlueZoo, SaltWaterFish, or LiveAquaria. All have been great for me in multiple orders. Its just that no one can touch Reefs4Less prices.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We have some great vendors on this site!

I have used all that have been discussed here and
I recently used NYaquatics and it was the best transaction to date in my experience.

Just food for thought.

Back