Alternatives to my bucket sump. Limited space. . .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
this is my bucket sump:

1703964985564.jpeg

Works great but was thinking of “upgrading” it (trying to work on my current tanks to fight the urge of setting up new ones). I thought about a 10 gallon but it will be a tight fit. . . Any not traditional tank sizes? Other thoughts?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s working keep it going,

Ahhhjj vibrant!

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it’s working keep it going,

Ahhhjj vibrant!
I though about putting a Vibrant disclaimer in my OP haha

I used it ONE TIME! for a crazy weird algae outbreak. . . but I know the risks. . .

It sits in the cabinet for show!

It does work. . . but I feel like I could squeeze a few more gallons under there. . . make the sump 1-2% more efficient. . .

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
If your budget doesn't include contacting an acrylic tank manufacturer and getting a custom sized sump made, how about something really diy?
My very first wet/dry back in the 80's was a wooden box that I lined with 1/8" glass and used All Glass silicone to seal up the seams. ( I did the bucket drip filter with a diy rotating spray bar ).
Worked great for nearly 2 years before I upgraded all the equipment.
The 1/8th inch glass is easy to work with and get exact sizes cut.
You can make a box to completely fill the available space.
If that's too diy, then saving up for a custom made box is very satisfying. Both my tanks have custom made sumps.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your budget doesn't include contacting an acrylic tank manufacturer and getting a custom sized sump made, how about something really diy?
My very first wet/dry back in the 80's was a wooden box that I lined with 1/8" glass and used All Glass silicone to seal up the seams. ( I did the bucket drip filter with a diy rotating spray bar ).
Worked great for nearly 2 years before I upgraded all the equipment.
The 1/8th inch glass is easy to work with and get exact sizes cut.
You can make a box to completely fill the available space.
If that's too diy, then saving up for a custom made box is very satisfying. Both my tanks have custom made sumps.
I did thing about this though with pond liner or epoxy haha. Might be more DIY than I am looking for, and the possibility or the wood "leaching" into the water if I screw it up makes me worried.

Custom acrylic would probably be an options at some point, I am not sure it would be worth on this tank given I plan on moving in the not to distant future and when I wo I want a bigger tang and different style sump.

I am liking this but the sloped opening could be a challenge:

Oooooo or this:

Last edited:

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use totes for most of my freshwater tanks. Could you just go up to the next size? I have stacked 125s running off the 28g size totes from home depot as overhead sumps, I know there were about 4-5 sizes below those and 3-4 more above that too. Looks like you have a little more room to the left.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I know, but still if I screw up the silicone or something. . . I would like an "inert" material.
I get it. This idea was kind of wild, but it was pretty effective.
The wood itself really didn't have anything toxic, even if it could have gotten in.
If there would have been a leak, the water pressure would have pushed water out.

How about just making a sump out of glass. Making small tanks aren't that hard.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy back in the day, Melev or something like that? Anyway, he had a how to on building your own custom sump using 1/4" single cell acrylic sheets. I built one, and it was totally functional and never leaked. It was fun to build, and no where near as hard as I thought. Might be worth considering?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is my bucket sump:

1703964985564.jpeg

Works great but was thinking of “upgrading” it (trying to work on my current tanks to fight the urge of setting up new ones). I thought about a 10 gallon but it will be a tight fit. . . Any not traditional tank sizes? Other thoughts?
It works "great" Then why fix something that isn't broken?

I use an old 33 long as s sump on my system. No baffles, just one big open tank with lots of room.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a guy back in the day, Melev or something like that? Anyway, he had a how to on building your own custom sump using 1/4" single cell acrylic sheets. I built one, and it was totally functional and never leaked. It was fun to build, and no where near as hard as I thought. Might be worth considering?

Right... I remember that guy. Didn't he run "Melev's Reef" or something like that?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... I remember that guy. Didn't he run "Melev's Reef" or something like that?
Melvsreef is still around. He builds acrylic "things" and his website and youtube show you how to do alot also.
edit I should also add you can buy from him too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back