Aluminum not going down with water changes.

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious for those that have delt with this or something similar in the past what the solution would be here. The story is as follows, I have had aluminum in my ICP tests all the way back to April of last year (60.61 µg/l). I have since done 12 different ICP test and the aluminum remains at or about the same range between 60.1 and 40.0 µg/l. Soft corals have either been on a slow and steady decline or they have simply survived and not thrived. However; over this time period, I have done around a 240% water change as the months have gone by but the value just sits there. From what I have gathered by previous post, I should be able to reduce this value with water changes, but that doesn't seem to be the case here. One would think then, if water changes are not lowering the value then the aluminum must be replenishing from a source. However, I did a period of no water changes when I began trying to dial in trace element dosage and the levels remained the same throughout the period as well. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

yanetterer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run any media like marine pure, phosguard, etc? Some have had aluminum issues with them.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aluminum isn't your issue. Many tanks have aluminum present on ICP tests and have zero issues. It almost always comes from ceramic media and is inert.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think it’s not unusual or unexpected to reach a level that represents something close to the solubility of a material in your system. Dissolution of a chemical does not necessarily mean the same ppm added each day.

I’d remove any white biomedia.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a micron filter 24 hours once a week , marineland Amazon has one $87, may or may not help , just remember clorox is the only way to clean it , cheers

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a micron filter 24 hours once a week , marineland Amazon has one $87, may or may not help , just remember clorox is the only way to clean it , cheers

Have you ever done that and seen an aluminum drop?

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run any media like marine pure, phosguard, etc? Some have had aluminum issues with them.
Yes, Marinepure Bio balls! I have seen the issue reported with the blocks but really did not see any negative reviews with the bio balls. although yes I realize its the same material likely. I Just started a new tank with the same crap too!

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aluminum isn't your issue. Many tanks have aluminum present on ICP tests and have zero issues. It almost always comes from ceramic media and is inert.
There really isn't anything else to go after at this point. I have been chasing this rabbit for almost a year now.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sir mr Farley not exactly , yes I agree with you and rtparty , aluminum mysteriously should not be finding it's way into aquarium, also catch the filter water with a gallon size plastic bag , possibly even pre rinsed with hot water

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no sir mr Farley not exactly , yes I agree with you and rtparty , aluminum mysteriously should not be finding it's way into aquarium, also catch the filter water with a gallon size plastic bag , possibly even pre rinsed with hot water

Im just asking because dissolved aluminum ions won’t be removed by a micron filter. Large particulates may be, but icp companies may already be removing particulates before testing (Triton at least said they did) .

OP
OP
Edgecrusher28

Edgecrusher28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pull the Marine Pure and your numbers will drop
Do they ever stop leaching out Aluminum? I only ask because I used a good deal of them in the sump for my bio filter media.
Measured PAR?
Yep, purchased an Apogee meter awhile back, PAR for the Zoa's is around 120-180.
Pathogenic bacteria?
I've done Iodine dips, and baths. I have treated the tank with Chemi-clean and have spot treated in a QT tank with Chemi-clean, General Cure, and Erythromycin to see if bacterial or parasitic issues were at hand.
Chemical warfare?
I mean hard to say; if so, no more than any other mixed reef tank. I run three 11oz Chemipure Elite carbons in the sump which are replaced every 8 weeks.
Nutrients all in check?

Absolutely, after more than a dozen ICP tests I would hope so!

Here is a pic of two Zoa's (White Zombies, and Agaves) that look like death. This is what a majority of my Zoa's look like.

Sad Zoas.png

Last edited:

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also high aluminium here, around 80 to 100 micrograms for well over a year now, still dont know whats causing it but i have yet to see negative effects... Was thinking the other day that it can possibly come from deodorant or other products like that but im unsure and also unwilling to buy that many icp tests to confirm if that is indeed the issue.

I do keep 2 maxpect bio blocks in the sump and a bag of siporax, no clue if this stuff also leeches but i am hesitant to pull it out and cause a bacteria imbalance...

Back