Am I asking for trouble?

Arsenix2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New... Sort of new reef keeper here. Had a 45 tall with a twin 96w 10k actinic light back in the day, wet dry sump. Successfully kept soft corals and a huge gbta and Lt anemone for years till i sold the tank, with minimal checking. I now have a new 38 gallon, tidal 110 hob, am 1.5 hob skimmer, diy chaeto reactor. Two wave pumps and 2 kessil 160s. Tank was started with all live sand and cycled live rock, 30/35 lbs respectively. Added instant ocean Bacteria as well. Tank is less than a month old. Stocked 2, 1" clowns, fire shrimp and 5 hermits, 3 snails a week and a half ago. Parameters solid 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 4 ppm nitrate. Calcium was 380 and alk 12 dkh. Began dosing reef fusion 1 to bring those in check. Long story short, I know its super short timing but with my prior experience and the fact I have no life and check tank chemistry at least once daily and adjust as nessesary, is it nuts to add a RBTA as well as some mushrooms and polyps at this point? Honest answers welcome. Side note, kessel 160 intensity reccomendations for a 22" deep tank for a RBTA?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd add mushrooms first, I'd wait on the nem. It has been done though.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'ld wait on nem. Let tank mature especially until you get into rhythm of your HOB equipment. It's a whole lot different than the sump you previously had and things can change in a heartbeat on this young a tank. Re: mushrooms & polys - most mushrooms will deal with about anything. Again, I wouldn't spend alot on corals until params are stable & you feel comfortable with maint routine.

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that skimmer, got one recently myself!

I’d give your tank a few months to mature. Things may seem great for a little while then BAM! Something pops us or a parameter is thrown off. Let things play out for a little bit then add one.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give yourself time to get a routine and learning about your tank and how to maintain parameters steadily. It will save headaches in the future.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back