Am I at fault?

jason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some corals form a hobbyist on here that just got negative feedback from a different transaction which I just saw. Here's my scenario. FedEx didn't deliver the package next day due to the fedex truck being in an accident. So it took two days to get to me. Only one coral survived and that was a freebie. The seller wants to throw some corals my way which I don't care for and he said I'm lucky that he's willing to send some corals. Since this was fedex mishap he doesn't have to replace to corals was his notion. Is that true? There was nothing on his for sale page stating what was covered and what was not based on FedEx's service. Now he wants me to pay $50 for overnight shipping. Just want some advice because I feel like this isn't right. Thanks

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't expect a hobbyist seller to be responsible for delays that are beyond their control like your scenario. Unfortunately that's one of the risks of having corals shipped because fed ex won't cover livestock damage.

newbreefer316

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither of you are at fault and it seems like the suggested course of action is a middle-ground where it costs both of you. This is typical for hobbyist and small businesses. Most generally have a DOA policy that excludes courier issues and acts of God.

Some more well known vendors, such as Adam at Battle Corals, go above and beyond when it comes to shipping mishaps and replace/reship on their own dime. It's a great gesture on their behalf but it can also really take a toll on them.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all vendors state they are not to be held accountable for any delays due to weather/accidents/whatever else. Once they ship the package it’s no longer in their hands, they have nothing to do with whatever delay could possibly happen.

I’ve purchased from vendors that were delayed due to weather, luckily 8 of the 12 frags made it alive, but I never would ask the vendor to make up for the loss. Even if they all arrived dead. It’s out of their hands.

All Delight

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man i wish you guys would buy from me you’re level headed customers.

Unfortunately when fed ex is at fault no one wins. Hobbyist sellers typically wont absorb any loss like that. One of the bigger risks buying from a hobbyist. They have no “reputation” to protect.

Most online vendors will make a more than generous offer to a fair resolution. I myself my ask you pay for shipping and ill reship the corals free. If youre a good long time repeat customer id cover it all.

dede

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could never understand why the buyer is the one who takes the hit when shipping is delayed. If you are selling livestock it is a business and as a business there are going to be losses that the business should be responsible for and not the customer.

I always look at what the policy is when buying livestock and tend towards those that offer 10 to 14 day guarantees such as Live aquaria and World Wide Coral.

If the seller is going to ship the same corals you purchased then I would pay the shipping but certainly would not pay for shipping for stuff I did not want. I hope you guys can work it out.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.2%
Back