Am I crazy for thinking MH + t5 ?

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you prefer the spectra over the aurora if you don't mind me asking? I love the look of your tank but feel like t5 may not be necessary during the day and id personally like the blue less for night.

What's different about the Infiniti fixture?

It's just a matter of liking MH better than LEDs. On top of that, I do not like the visual spectrum of the Aurora LEDs as much as a Radion, Kessil, Hydra etc.

I loved my Giesemann 21k bulbs, but they were about 8 months old and I wanted to try some 20k Radiums. So I am now running the 250 watt Radiums and they are spectacular!

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a matter of liking MH better than LEDs. On top of that, I do not like the visual spectrum of the Aurora LEDs as much as a Radion, Kessil, Hydra etc.

I loved my Giesemann 21k bulbs, but they were about 8 months old and I wanted to try some 20k Radiums. So I am now running the 250 watt Radiums and they are spectacular!

Why 250 and not 400w? When you said aurora I figured you meant the MH hybrid aurora which is MH/led. Spectra is just MH/t5? Too many variations!

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I forgot....which ballasts are you using? Is your spectra a 250 watt or 400 watt model?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm so you think a better route to go is just two fixtures rather than halide T5? Any particular reason? I was all set to pickup the Cebu but now I'm debating the two cozumel sun with radiums again lol. :D
Coverage. I would think the Cozumel opens the coverage wider distributing the light much better.
I'm not sure about the Cebu. It's too simple.
But the Cebu is BILLION TIMES BETTER THAN LEDs.
Sorry, I got too excited. ;Wideyed :p
Let us know how you like it!
Grandis.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coverage. I would think the Cozumel opens the coverage wider distributing the light much better.
I'm not sure about the Cebu. It's too simple.
But the Cebu is BILLION TIMES BETTER THAN LEDs.
Sorry, I got too excited. ;Wideyed :p
Let us know how you like it!
Grandis.
We shall see! :p

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why 250 and not 400w? When you said aurora I figured you meant the MH hybrid aurora which is MH/led. Spectra is just MH/t5? Too many variations!

The tank is only 22" deep and the fixture is hung 9" AWL... so there is PLENTY of punch. Actually maybe a little too much lol. Don't forget that there's a tad over 200 watts of T5 also.
  • The Aurora is a T5/LED.... there is no Giesemann fixture that is MH/LED.
  • The Infinity is a DE MH/T5.
  • The the Spectra is a SE MH/T5.

I forgot....which ballasts are you using? Is your spectra a 250 watt or 400 watt model?

The ballasts are the Luxcore 250/400 watt adjustable. I'm using 250 watt bulbs in mine.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh well thank you for the explanation... my tank is, I think, 30" tall so I guess 400 is way to go for me.

What is SE and DE?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've used almost every light source available to us in the hobby. Started with Current USA power compacts, upgraded to a single 150w Phoenix, then straight T5, then all LED (too many brands to even remember including Ecotech), then onto an ATI Powermodule LED and finally I'm back to MH and T5 with Giesemann Spectra. Hands down the Spectra is my favorite. Not a single LED fixture I used or went to see in person compares in MY eyes. Even my wife is disappointed when we walk into a LFS and they are running all LED. She always asks why the light isn't as beautiful as ours.

A Radium with 2 Blue Plus, 1 Coral Plus and 1 ATI Actinic is money for me. Corals look incredible and colors are exceeding my expectations so far. Halide works for me though since I need the heat in a 68° basement any way, electricity is thankfully cheap still and I know I can run halides for 2 years before replacing. With some new BRS testing coming out, I'll even run my T5s for 18-24 months now. In my case, LEDs would cost so much more to run and the initial cost was more for the fixtures I wanted. Got my Spectra with multiple bulbs for less than $400.

All the LFS should stop promoting the fake LED "technology" propaganda. That marketing is a snow ball made up to give illusions to the newbies around the globe. It is actually regression! LEDs didn't come to stay IMHO. They have their place for fish only tanks and that's it! Not even planted tanks.
I know that some stores/farmers are starting to realize that and they saw the light at the end of the tunnel. That light was a MH/T5 combo! :D
I do hope and call all the people in the hobby and trade to wake up now!
Wake up, Mr. Sanjay! Time to enjoy your corals as they should!
Wake up WWC! It's ok to put those beautiful halides on! We love you guys!
I'll visit you and would love to see those acros very happy!!!
Revolution MH/T5!:cool:
Aloha,
Grandis.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Broadfield The ballasts are the Luxcore 250/400 watt adjustable. I'm using 250 watt bulbs in mine.[/QUOTE]

I heard Spectra comes in 250 or 400 watt model. Is that true?

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
250 vs 400 watt for spectra? Gonna have mixed reef with a few sps. Tank is 30 inches deep

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard Spectra comes in 250 or 400 watt model. Is that true?

There's no wattage rating associated with the fixture... that's the ballasts.

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Anirban

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's just the bad language translation. You can choose to run a 250 or 400 watt bulbs... not choose between 250 or 400 model.
Lol....I must say really bad translation....I was scratching my head quite long on that..thanks man.:D

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SE is Single Ended
DE is Double Ended or also called HQI

Is there an advantage to one or the other? They seem to basically be the same price. I apologize for my lack of lighting knowledge

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back