Am I crazy for thinking MH + t5 ?

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey there,
I just ordered a 72" x 36" x 24" rimless tank so I'm trying to decide which fixture would work best. I am mostly SPS and i am not a fan of tons of rock work.

I also do NOT like the disco ball look of many of the LED I have viewed.

i have a giesemann aurora on my 48x24 but it is not going to have enough oomph to light a 3 foot wide tank.

sooo.. i have been looking at the 60" giesemann MH and t5 fixtures. i am just really nervous about going with MH as man they can be hot and I keep thinking.. maybe I should be chasing the latest LED technology??

I wasn't really thinking MH until I watched a BRS video lately and man they light was sooo even and so powerful. One phrase stuck with me for sure.. "no amount of phone apps, programming choices or complex light cycles is going to grow coral"

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

System will be 300 gallon display.. 130 gallon fuge/sump in basement. thank you!!

Spend the money on a chiller to go with the MHs, your going to need it. In exchange, assuming your params are in line you will be rewarded with the absolute best growth that your environment can support. LEDs work great, I have Gen4 pros, Hydra 52 HD and a couple of XHO (that are mounted on my Gmann Spectra), they all do a great job. But you will not be disappointed with the T5 / MH combo. Consider Radium or Gmann 20k bulbs.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread running with an experiment. We'll see...
All other people that I spoke around the world told me the halides are the best.
Many coral farmers and professionals went back to their MH/T5s... so.. you keep thinking whatever you want.
I gave credit to LEDs, but went back fast!! No comparison. 90% of my friends went back to their T5s...

You're right! I don't like LEDs. It's ridiculous the differences of shape and shades. No mater what.
Any kind of LED fixture in the US market isn't even close to a good T5 spread. Period. MHs... billion times better...
Even to keep zoanthids only.
Everyone that actually had experiences with all the lights know the differences and it comes down to personal preferences of liking the:

1) Disco.
2) The supposed saved money with electricity.
3) Those computer/wifi features that people think only LEDs can provide.

Go ask Sanjay... ask him privately... Ask people who really cares about the corals, not the money.
I do respect all of the LED people, but you guys just can't come in a thread like this and try to push your disco visions.

But you know what? I get it! You don't like MHs/T5s. ;)
If that's my thread you are referring to remember the point is to show that Radions can grow coral as well as Radiums.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so great!
There are so many MH lovers coming with their experiences and tips.
I found good info here!

Hi BoomCorals:
I'm not an expert in any way, so this will be only what I've seen and read.
And I have no MHs at home for more than 15 years, so...
I decided to answer your PM here so people could also correct me if I'm wrong, or maybe others would add to my suggestions...

I would avoid the Current USA fixture though and the SE Cayman Sun. I also would think you should get the best you could afford now, so you wouldn't have to change anything in the near future, or have a so so experience with the halides. Besides, as a professional, it's an investment for your business.
I would think that you didn't think about saving when you got your LEDs to your systems, so the same should be applied with MHs. Quality is more important in the long run.

The Current USA isn't the best quality system you can offer and the SE Cayman, as Jeremy Luke posted (see BRS video below), has an awkward distribution because of the position of the center of the bulb that normally fits towards the side of the fixture instead in the very center, so the spread is compromised that way. I don't like the so called HQI (DE) fixtures because of the risk of braking the ceramic ends (they show that in the video below too). That is known since the 90's. They do a great job reflecting though, with superb PAR. I also like to have the outer jacket of the SE bulbs made of UV absorbing glass, besides the lens to protect the bulb, so SE bulbs/fixture is what I like.

The Cebu comes ready to use and it's not that expensive. Besides the T5s will give you the best combination to grow your corals because you can have the halides for like 6 hours and the T5s for 8 hours a day. All in one package!
You can use Radiums 20K with 2 ATI Blue Plus on the extremes and 2 ATI Coral Plus close to the halide bulbs in that fixture. But will that spread the light like the Lumen Bright or the Cozumel Sun?

In your case, because the corals will be ~6" below the water surface, and the tank is 4' X 2', I would definitely get the Coral Vue Lumen Bright or the Cozumel Sun for it's uniformity in distribution.
The Lumen Bright has adjustable socket and is 16" X 16" and the Cozumel Sun gives also a great spread and it's 20 X20. That way, the light will be well distributed. Quality, quality, quality!

I personally like DE bulbs and would get Radium with 2 X Lumen Bright or 2 X Cozumel Sun reflector with the LuXcore ballasts.

204580-radium-metal-halide-mogul-single-ended-bulb-grouped-b.jpg

Cozumel Sun:
207584-cozumelsunmh25wreflector-c.jpg

OR Lumen Bright:
3348.jpg

LuXcore ballast:

209942_luxcore_150w_250w-d.jpg

Here is the video for you:

Hope that helps!

Aloha,
Grandis.

This is defiantly your type of section, LEDs just didn't cut it for you.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in agreement with everyone here in re: to going MH and T5. I switched back to halides on one of my tanks, with AI Hydra 26's to tweak the color of the tank to what I like, but that can be done just as well with T5's. I was surprised at how well the corals did when I switched back to halides. It wasn't overnight like everything in reef keeping, but it was noticeable after a month, and by 6 months, corals were growing like weeds. I'm running Reef Brite Reef Tech pendants with 250W 14K bulbs, and in retrospect, would have gone with the 20K Radiums, just because I love the color of those bulbs, and the Reef Brite pendant really lives up to its' advertising about running cool; I can put my hand on the top of the fixture after running it all day and it's warm but doesn't burn. The bulbs are hot of course, so whatever fixture you get, I'd recommend getting a fan you can mount on the sump to help cool the water temp. You'll be incredibly happy that you switched to halides as primary light source, because they just work. T5's, same thing. I love LED's, but don't ever use them as primary source, only to adjust the color of the tank to my liking. My other tank is running ATI T5's, with LED supplementation.
I don't think I'll ever go back to just LED's, unless I have a pico tank at work or something. I can't recommend halides and T5's enough. Light spillage is not an issue, and that can also be corrected with some DIY additions to the reflector.
Have fun and watch your corals fall in love with you! :p:p
I tossed a Hydra 52 HD running at 15% on a Nuvo 20 and you right great for a small tank. Checkout the hurricane build on my signature. Pretty cool looking.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooh. Halides and led. Mmmm

Whit what we know about par and DLI(photoperied) it would be really easy to the the par at the top of the tank a little high (300,400)and then just use the MH for like fourth six hours at an additional 400 par or so. I think a balance could def be struck there.
Save heat power & bulbs.
21st century Reefing is prettty cool.
That's exactly what I did and it worked out great, until hurricane Irma killed the tank that is

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the money on a chiller to go with the MHs, your going to need it. In exchange, assuming your params are in line you will be rewarded with the absolute best growth that your environment can support. LEDs work great, I have Gen4 pros, Hydra 52 HD and a couple of XHO (that are mounted on my Gmann Spectra), they all do a great job. But you will not be disappointed with the T5 / MH combo. Consider Radium or Gmann 20k bulbs.
Yeah, I heard the Giesemann 20K is spectacular too. Many people like it..
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead and get it over with, tell us what you really think about LEDs
Do you really wanna know?
Well, take your time to read...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/l...oas-discussion-what-are-your-thoughts.268851/
Read this article too...
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/are-leds-a-suitable-primary-light-source.42/
Also, and more important: read this thread again since page 1 and see what many of us think about LEDs.
Why are you asking only me?
I'm not a hater, but not a lover of LEDs. No way!
And I'm disgusted by the hype they use to promote and sell LEDs as an amazing thing to the newbies too.
I suggest the T5s as the best for shallow water tanks and MHs for deeper than 22" - 24" for any reef system with cnidarians that need quality light, including zoanthids.
And I respect what people think and expect them to respect what I think.
I don't go to LED threads to try to pursue anyone and bring them to MH/T5s!
And I love to know that many around the world are going back to the real lights for their reefs.
Up to this date there is absolutely no LED equal to a good halide/ T5 system in terms of quality of light, comparing to what we find in nature.
And that's only my opinion.
Hope you didn't get hurt by this.
Is that enough?
Over.
Grandis.

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only "advantage" is Radium only comes in SE
Yup, if people really want Radiums then SE Mogul base is the only way to go. If you don't plan on running radiums then get the 250w DE for sure. They are almost comparable in most applications to 400W SE bulbs which really only come into their own when scaling for coverage of very large tank footprints. I love the 14k phoenix 250wDE. Kind of like a 250w Radium run on an M80 ballast in terms of visual output- very crisp, blue light. If you want the most true actinic violet/UV color and pop IMO the XM 20k 250W DEs are phenomenal, but quite a bit lower on PAR and lifespan than the Phoenix in my experience.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He did already :p
It's very uncomfortable when someone thinks that I'm trying to go around with LED hate/jokes or whatever, so I had tell 'em already how I think. Hope that doesn't screw up here!
Hopefully by the end of the year everyone get used to what I think here and just be my friend.
I have no enemies at all and this is not going to be an exception.
I'm not spending my precious time here for nothing, but to learn and really tell people what I believe is very precious about the subject. To me is more than obvious.

Back to the subject...
Man, make sure you put that MH/T5 fixture very high to adapt your corals first and turn the halides only for a hour for the first couple of days. Then you lower the fixture slowly. Same is true when you change bulbs. I hope you remember that! The adaptation will be many times slower for your system because it's so shallow!! Please don't forget that!!
The T5s can be on for like 5 hours to start, but the halides only for one or two hours to start will take longer... You'll see what I mean when you turn them on! That's what I would do.

Grandis.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the LFS should stop promoting the fake LED "technology" propaganda.

Speaking of propaganda...that's the word I was just looking for! o_O

Hokey smokes, man! Do you own a mercury mine or something? You realize that everyone in this thread is already sold, right?? :p

I guess it's an obsession inducing hobby for all of us, eh?

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, if people really want Radiums then SE Mogul base is the only way to go. If you don't plan on running radiums then get the 250w DE for sure. They are almost comparable in most applications to 400W SE bulbs which really only come into their own when scaling for coverage of very large tank footprints. I love the 14k phoenix 250wDE. Kind of like a 250w Radium run on an M80 ballast in terms of visual output- very crisp, blue light. If you want the most true actinic violet/UV color and pop IMO the XM 20k 250W DEs are phenomenal, but quite a bit lower on PAR and lifespan than the Phoenix in my experience.
Did you experience differences between all those bulbs in regards to loss of PAR by the time you changed them?
How often do you change your bulbs?
Grandis.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of propaganda...that's the word I was just looking for! o_O

Hokey smokes, man! Do you own a mercury mine or something? You realize that everyone in this thread is already sold, right?? :p

I guess it's an obsession inducing hobby for all of us, eh?
Sorry, he asked me! ;Wideyed
I love all of you guys!:p
Grandis.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love everyone!! I was just behind a few days on this thread and had gotten caught up. As a result I had seen several of these posts in a short frame of time and since this was never a "vs thread" so I guess they stood out more than normal....I couldn't help to observe on it after you applied the term propaganda. :p:D

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love everyone!! I was just behind a few days on this thread and had gotten caught up. As a result I had seen several of these posts in a short frame of time and since this was never a "vs thread" so I guess they stood out more than normal....I couldn't help to observe on it after you applied the term propaganda. :p:D
Man, I've been working hard and this is the only short time I have to participate and learn here. This is just amazing.
Very good thread!!! You guys are great!
Grandis.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 26.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 46 25.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back