Am I crazy for thinking MH + t5 ?

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electronic Ballasts are great for ease of use and flexibility. I know they tend to underdrive some bulbs, so I do prefer Magnetic HQI ballasts when running 250w DE bulbs or SE 250w Radiums. The magnetic ballasts seem to burn them for a couple months longer and definitely produces a crisper, brighter light. I'm not sure if the good ole magnetics are even readily available these days though. The electronics may be the only choice and I agree that luxcore would be an excellent option.
Hamilton Lighting still sells the M80 ballasts that you're talking about. I recently got one for my 250W Radium.

silvernblackr35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from T5 with rapidled supplements to 3x250watt radium with rapidled close to a year and a half ago, and unless I move to a state where it's hot all the time I will never not use MH. Growth and color of sps was good under t5 and led but it's definitely increased under halide. What I really noticed more than anything was the response I got out of mushrooms and lps, they inflate much more under this setup. I had to buy an aiptasia eating filefish just to keep my zoas under control as well.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the following setup will work. I'd get two for my 4' frag tank.

250w Radium 20k single end bulb with luxcore 250w electronic ballast (or should I go magnetic?). For reflector I was thinking a cayman sun mogul (single ended) or I heard that the large Coralvue Lumen Bright Reflector was one of the best right now?

Any reason to consider using HQI?

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the following setup will work. I'd get two for my 4' frag tank.

250w Radium 20k single end bulb with luxcore 250w electronic ballast (or should I go magnetic?). For reflector I was thinking a cayman sun mogul (single ended) or I heard that the large Coralvue Lumen Bright Reflector was one of the best right now?

Any reason to consider using HQI?

I personally went with the 250k Radium due to it's reputation. I struggled with getting a magnetic or the luxcore ballast. The magnetic will definitely get you the maximum par but also give the Radium the whitest look. I ended up going with the Luxcore because set to Super Lumens (300w) it gets you close to the output of the magnetic and it also gives you the option of setting it to 250w which obviously is a bit less par but a bit more blue. With my 4 T5 Blue+ bulbs on I honestly can't tell the difference between the two settings visually. The Luxcore ballast is also dead silent and I was told that the mangetic ballast has an audible hum.

For a single ended reflector I would go with the Lumen Bright as it has a great reputation for putting out light. The BRS halide video shows that the Cayman Sun has an awkward light distribution. The Cozumel Sun has great light distribution but you may want a 400w in that due to the way it distributes light very evenly and not as intensely.

For a MH T5 fixture, if you want it to look great, function great and cost a lot.. of course I would say get the Giesemann Spectra. If you just want great functionality at a good price point I'd go for the Cebu Sun system.

All just my opinions though.. I'm certainly no expert but I did a lot of research before purchasing my halide setup.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally went with the 250k Radium due to it's reputation. I struggled with getting a magnetic or the luxcore ballast. The magnetic will definitely get you the maximum par but also give the Radium the whitest look. I ended up going with the Luxcore because set to Super Lumens (300w) it gets you close to the output of the magnetic and it also gives you the option of setting it to 250w which obviously is a bit less par but a bit more blue. With my 4 T5 Blue+ bulbs on I honestly can't tell the difference between the two settings visually. The Luxcore ballast is also dead silent and I was told that the mangetic ballast has an audible hum.

For a single ended reflector I would go with the Lumen Bright as it has a great reputation for putting out light. The BRS halide video shows that the Cayman Sun has an awkward light distribution. The Cozumel Sun has great light distribution but you may want a 400w in that due to the way it distributes light very evenly and not as intensely.

For a MH T5 fixture, if you want it to look great, function great and cost a lot.. of course I would say get the Giesemann Spectra. If you just want great functionality at a good price point I'd go for the Cebu Sun system.

All just my opinions though.. I'm certainly no expert but I did a lot of research before purchasing my halide setup.
This helps a lot. So really... if I want to do this right, I should just pick up a Giesemann haha. Or maybe one of the Cebu Sun. I'm guessing a 24" won't cover my 48"x24"x10" frag tank.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helps a lot. So really... if I want to do this right, I should just pick up a Giesemann haha. Or maybe one of the Cebu Sun. I'm guessing a 24" won't cover my 48"x24"x10" frag tank.

Yeah, My tank is 48", well 120cm and I went with the Giesemann 120cm (two MH) size fixture. I don't think you'd get the coverage you'd want with one halide.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, My tank is 48", well 120cm and I went with the Giesemann 120cm (two MH) size fixture. I don't think you'd get the coverage you'd want with one halide.

Hopefully brs will update us with their light test so we can see the actual differences in lighting

Last edited:

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the Reefbrite fixture and ballast? I'm running the 250w SE fixture along with the Reefbrite dimmable (or regular) ballast (though don't have the dimming feature hooked up). Is more than enough for a 32"x24" tank, so two over a 48" would be more than enough as well I'd think.

I've got the Reefbrite XHO LEDs attached to it as well for the sunrise/sunset effect.

The only thing I'd consider changing to at this point is the Giesemann Spectra...just for fun. :)

@BoomCorals

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question here.. My top is plastic mesh. Would a halide fixture melt it?

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the Reefbrite fixture and ballast? I'm running the 250w SE fixture along with the Reefbrite dimmable (or regular) ballast (though don't have the dimming feature hooked up). Is more than enough for a 32"x24" tank, so two over a 48" would be more than enough as well I'd think.

I've got the Reefbrite XHO LEDs attached to it as well for the sunrise/sunset effect.

The only thing I'd consider changing to at this point is the Giesemann Spectra...just for fun. :)

@BoomCorals
I think I'm going to pick up a Cebu sun. As much as a giesemann would be nice, I can't justify the cost until sales pick up more.

Jeremy Luke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side question here.. My top is plastic mesh. Would a halide fixture melt it?

I really don't think so, as long as there is some clearance between the light and the cover... Which there should be, at least a few inches. Consider that many tanks have plastic bracing on the top.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm going to pick up a Cebu sun. As much as a giesemann would be nice, I can't justify the cost until sales pick up more.
Precisely why I haven't switched to Giesemann...can't really justify the cost when what I have works just fine. :)

However, I absolutely support your choice to go MH for at least one tank. :D

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was set to get leds, probably sb lights but this thread is making me reconsider geisseman... Thanks! I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about mh other than maintenance costs whereas led have a few draw backs

10Seconds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'm going to buy a cheap MH/T5 fixture on eBay and see how I like it. Then can at least get a feel for things before I invest big bucks either way.

Back