Am i doing this right??

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

So my tank has been up and running for 6 weeks livestock in there for 2 weeks.

150 litre tank (TMC Habitat 60).
My Sump runs into a filter sock, then I have a bubble magus reactor running H2O Nutri-Fix bio pellets. Then I have the Bubble Magus curve 5 and just a bag of reef spec carbon. Then of course the return pump and heater.

My parameters are;
- NH3 0
- NO2 0
- NO3 10 or 25 (hard to read of Salifert kit)
- PO4 0.1
- PH 8.2
- KH 8.6
- MG 1350
- CA 470
- Salinity 1.025

TMC dual phantom lights, running 60% full 60% power is only 11 till 4

I am starting to see green algea, some orange but clean up crew seem to be dealing with that. Of course algea is normal but before I have an outbreak could I be doing anything better? Or i am on the right tracks?

Corals and fish all seem happy, only simple corals, zoas, torch, hammers duncans mushrooms, GSP.

Any advice would be awesome

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to experience various forms of ugly phases over the course of the first year. No way around it but stay the course with good numbers and let the tank mature.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. You will inevitably go through some algae blooms as the tank matures. Stay calm and watch your light settings and feeding regiment. Too much of either will allow the algae to take off In a new system. Also, My technique was to blow off the rocks with a turkey baster daily to keep as much junk in the tank suspended as possible so the filtration can remove it quicker. Try not to let the algae get a foot hold. If the N03 and PO4 start going down quickly, it’s probably being used up by algae starting to grow. Just keep them from going to zero and keep the tank as clean as possible and the algae will eventually fade away.

OP
OP
O

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. You will inevitably go through some algae blooms as the tank matures. Stay calm and watch your light settings and feeding regiment. Too much of either will allow the algae to take off In a new system. Also, My technique was to blow off the rocks with a turkey baster daily to keep as much junk in the tank suspended as possible so the filtration can remove it quicker. Try not to let the algae get a foot hold. If the N03 and PO4 start going down quickly, it’s probably being used up by algae starting to grow. Just keep them from going to zero and keep the tank as clean as possible and the algae will eventually fade away.
Brilliant, thank you for the help

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

So my tank has been up and running for 6 weeks livestock in there for 2 weeks.

150 litre tank (TMC Habitat 60).
My Sump runs into a filter sock, then I have a bubble magus reactor running H2O Nutri-Fix bio pellets. Then I have the Bubble Magus curve 5 and just a bag of reef spec carbon. Then of course the return pump and heater.

My parameters are;
- NH3 0
- NO2 0
- NO3 10 or 25 (hard to read of Salifert kit)
- PO4 0.1
- PH 8.2
- KH 8.6
- MG 1350
- CA 470
- Salinity 1.025

TMC dual phantom lights, running 60% full 60% power is only 11 till 4

I am starting to see green algea, some orange but clean up crew seem to be dealing with that. Of course algea is normal but before I have an outbreak could I be doing anything better? Or i am on the right tracks?

Corals and fish all seem happy, only simple corals, zoas, torch, hammers duncans mushrooms, GSP.

Any advice would be awesome
Hey, sorry this is unrelated to your post, could you post a picture of your sump?

I have the same tank and have a feeling i’ve set some things up wrong but i’m not sure

OP
OP
O

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, sorry this is unrelated to your post, could you post a picture of your sump?

I have the same tank and have a feeling i’ve set some things up wrong but i’m not sure

Attachments

• 16859834970681560016228488657873.jpg
    16859834970681560016228488657873.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
O

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What is it your not sure of mate? I've changed a few things as I'm away for 10 days tomorrow and have attached that to my skimmer to drain into a container

OP
OP
O

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! is your sock on the pipe with the red dial? :)
Yes it is, I did have on both, but the pipe with the red dial has all the gunk. How are doing with tuning it and limiting the overflow noise? I found it tough but figured it out

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is, I did have on both, but the pipe with the red dial has all the gunk. How are doing with tuning it and limiting the overflow noise? I found it tough but figured it out
I’ve definitely confused the pipes, i’ve only had one on the opposite one without the dial…

So the one to the left is actually the overflow, and the red dial one is the proper pipe down into the sump?

I’ll have to readjust things and see how I get on

OP
OP
O

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve definitely confused the pipes, i’ve only had one on the opposite one without the dial…

So the one to the left is actually the overflow, and the red dial one is the proper pipe down into the sump?

I’ll have to readjust things and see how I get on
Yes correct! This video may help when you get to that stage.

Also there is YouTube channel is HC Aquatics Reefing, he has the same tank as us, take a look

Any questions just ask me, or send me a whatsapp 07778 196884

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes correct! This video may help when you get to that stage.

Also there is YouTube channel is HC Aquatics Reefing, he has the same tank as us, take a look

Any questions just ask me, or send me a whatsapp 07778 196884

Thank you!

I see at least i’m not wrong with water going down 2 pipes! I’ll have to add a second sock, do you know what holder you used for two socks?

I currently have a single TMC one and it doesn’t look like i’ll fit another single tmc next to it, may be overthinking though!

OP
OP
O

oliverw953

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you!

I see at least i’m not wrong with water going down 2 pipes! I’ll have to add a second sock, do you know what holder you used for two socks?

I currently have a single TMC one and it doesn’t look like i’ll fit another single tmc next to it, may be overthinking though!
It doesn't fit. For now ice used string

Attachments

• 1685985040124347381770904866592.jpg
    1685985040124347381770904866592.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 30

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 66 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back