Am I feeding enough?

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 5x2x2 with a unicorn tang, foxface, scopas, and lawnmower blenny. I’ve heard horror stories about the foxface sometimes going rogue and eating lps and soft corals if underfed. Just wanted to get yalls opinions on my feeding regime. I feed a half sheet of green nori 2”x4” in the morning and then some flakes before light out. Then the next day 2 feedings of frozen Mysis about a quarter cube each feeding. Then back to the nori/flakes etc. Just looking for some advice on feeding thanks in advance yall!!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not enough food imo. I have a 90 gallon with eight fish, two of them being a foxface and tomini tang, they alone eat close to a cube of mysis on their own per feeding. I feed the tank six cubes total per day of pe & hakari mysis.
Unicorn tangs are one of the largest tangs, with an appetite to match.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 150 5x2x2 with a unicorn tang, foxface, scopas, and lawnmower blenny. I’ve heard horror stories about the foxface sometimes going rogue and eating lps and soft corals if underfed. Just wanted to get yalls opinions on my feeding regime. I feed a half sheet of green nori 2”x4” in the morning and then some flakes before light out. Then the next day 2 feedings of frozen Mysis about a quarter cube each feeding. Then back to the nori/flakes etc. Just looking for some advice on feeding thanks in advance yall!!
i feed a full sheet of nori and 3-4 cubes of frozen and or chunk of lrs reef frenzy daily i also have same size tank

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here I thought I overfeed.

I have 7 fish(none are large tangs, 2 clowns, leopard wrasse, coris wrasse, fairy wrasse, flamback angel, and a male lyretail anthias) in my 80. I feed 1/2 sheet of nori, half a cube of mysis in the AM, some pellets mid day, and a small chunk(equivalent to half a cube) of LRS in the evening every day. Might switch up the pellets for some flake once in a while.

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank with 3 small tangs, foxface, and a few smaller fish. I feed one sheet of nori, two cubes of mysis, and some Rod's frozen food daily, so I believe you're under feeding. Frozen food is gone within 45-60 seconds.
No3 5 ppm
Po4 0.6 (bringing it down a little)

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With @Hemmdog on this one. I feed almost 3 half dollar sizes of LRS in my 60. If I don’t I won’t have any nutrients in the water. I also mix reef Roids and a couple small pieces of pe Mysis to spice things up.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh. thanks for the comments I’m glad I asked. I’m going to change to a full sheet of nori and a couple flake feedings and then on the other days two feeding of half a frozen cube. Would this be better? I might add all of these fish are 3” or less. I’ve seen people talking about different colored nori, which would y’all recommend and what are benefits of each

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not enough food imo. I have a 90 gallon with eight fish, two of them being a foxface and tomini tang, they alone eat close to a cube of mysis on their own per feeding. I feed the tank six cubes total per day of pe & hakari mysis.
Unicorn tangs are one of the largest tangs, with an appetite to match.
Thanks for the response. I’ll start feeding more today.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never feed any flakes or dry foods. I use frozen foods like LRS food, fresh clams or live worms. I also only use mysis for my pipefish as they are also not a great staple food as they are mostly indigestible shell.

OP
OP
TommyDelaney

TommyDelaney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never feed any flakes or dry foods. I use frozen foods like LRS food, fresh clams or live worms. I also only use mysis for my pipefish as they are also not a great staple food as they are mostly indigestible shell.
Thanks I’ll look into the lrs stuff,

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 210 with 6 anthias, a orange spot rabbit, a pair of bellus angels, 3 fire fish and 2 wrasses and I feed about 2-3cubes of frozen at least 2-3x a day.
Mix of LRS Fish Frenzy, Reef Frenzy, Mega marine angel, spirulina, mysis, roe, nori, and more.
the bigger the variety of quality foods, the better, as it helps mix their nutrition just like in people

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I also feed a lot, I have a 300 gal tank it’s 5 tangs, annularis angel, blue jaw trigger, 4 clowns and many several other small fish I feed a mix of mysis, spiralina/brine shrimp and jumbo mysis about 20ml twice daily. I feed nori a couple times a week but not consistent. Also feed my other 300gal fishonly tank with large fish LRS, krill shrimp and the same mix I mentioned above and rods predator blend all mixed together about 50 ml twice daily plus a pinch of large pellet floating food. The tangs and large angels like the pellets. These fish are very fat! I have a unicorn, vlamamji, naso, scopa, and Sohal and they eat like crazy!! Good luck. My fish beg for food so I know when they are hungry.

Busines1w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning, do you have problem with your Nitrates?

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow don't know how everyone is feeding so much and not having water problems. I've got a 180 with blue jaw trigger 4", foxface about 5" and a panther grouper about 4" they only get two quarter sized feedings of LRS a day and the tanks nitrates are at 20 ppm everything else is perfect. And the other system has three 40 gallon tanks and has three clowns,a flame angel, a mimic tang, and a sailfin tang. I feed two dime sized LRS and quarter size nori in each tank and it's the same 20ppm on the nitrates and everything else is fine.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow don't know how everyone is feeding so much and not having water problems. I've got a 180 with blue jaw trigger 4", foxface about 5" and a panther grouper about 4" they only get two quarter sized feedings of LRS a day and the tanks nitrates are at 20 ppm everything else is perfect. And the other system has three 40 gallon tanks and has three clowns,a flame angel, a mimic tang, and a sailfin tang. I feed two dime sized LRS and quarter size nori in each tank and it's the same 20ppm on the nitrates and everything else is fine.

Refugium made a huge difference for me. Was reluctant to add it, but so, so glad I did. My previous(smaller) tank felt like I could never get the nitrates down. This tank nitrates were 3 last time I checked.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium made a huge difference for me. Was reluctant to add it, but so, so glad I did. My previous(smaller) tank felt like I could never get the nitrates down. This tank nitrates were 3 last time I checked.
I'm running a 55 gal sump on the 180 and a 100 gal sump on the three 40's

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they FOWLR or reef tanks? I think mature reef tanks do much better at handling nutrients as there are so many more creatures in the tank.

as for OP, that is far too little food. I've 7 fish in my 65 and they get a sheet of nori/day, plus 1-2 cubes per day.

Roger D

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are they FOWLR or reef tanks? I think mature reef tanks do much better at handling nutrients as there are so many more creatures in the tank.

as for OP, that is far too little food. I've 7 fish in my 65 and they get a sheet of nori/day, plus 1-2 cubes per day.
I've got a few soft corals and one hard and lots of snails. Everyone is growing and doing fine. All my fish started out at less than two inches.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd increase feeding gradually over a month.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 26 31.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 14.6%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back