Am I feeding enough?

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refugium made a huge difference for me. Was reluctant to add it, but so, so glad I did. My previous(smaller) tank felt like I could never get the nitrates down. This tank nitrates were 3 last time I checked.
What was your NO3 and PO4 before adding your fuge? What are they now? Reason I'm asking, is I'm trying to determine if adding a fuge is the correct path for my tank.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was your NO3 and PO4 before adding your fuge? What are they now? Reason I'm asking, is I'm trying to determine if adding a fuge is the correct path for my tank.

It's hard to say. In my 37L tank I feed very sparingly to a single clownfish. -- not even daily. And always had nitrates above 20+ when testing. Even doing weekly water changes . It frustrated me so much was even testing my new saltwater to confirm 0.

My new tank, which I transferred fish and rock over to I didn't test nitrates at first. I added a refugium nearly a month ago now.

I've been feeding 2-3 cubes a day to 5 fish. I tested nitrates for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was less than 5.

Fuge is growing strong. My main battle had been a self-inflicted caulerpa battle (introduced on a frag then neglect) but that's a story in itself in my build thread.

No other changes in husbandry when moving to a larger tank -- always used rodi water, same salt and same WC schedule. It could be tank maturity perhaps..but I've associated it with the refugium. Unfortunately I don't have consistent nitrate results over time to provide any data backed conclusions.

Fwiw, if you have the space why not try a refugium?

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to say. In my 37L tank I feed very sparingly to a single clownfish. -- not even daily. And always had nitrates above 20+ when testing. Even doing weekly water changes . It frustrated me so much was even testing my new saltwater to confirm 0.

My new tank, which I transferred fish and rock over to I didn't test nitrates at first. I added a refugium nearly a month ago now.

I've been feeding 2-3 cubes a day to 5 fish. I tested nitrates for the first time a couple weeks ago and it was less than 5.

Fuge is growing strong. My main battle had been a self-inflicted caulerpa battle (introduced on a frag then neglect) but that's a story in itself in my build thread.

No other changes in husbandry when moving to a larger tank -- always used rodi water, same salt and same WC schedule. It could be tank maturity perhaps..but I've associated it with the refugium. Unfortunately I don't have consistent nitrate results over time to provide any data backed conclusions.

Fwiw, if you have the space why not try a refugium?
Thanks for the detailed response...Here is my dilemma, My NO3 is fairly steady at 5-10ppm, but my PO4 is steadily rising and have started running GFO. So my concern with adding a fuge is NO3 bottoming out before I get PO4 under control. Am I off base? But yes, I do have room for a fuge.

dopey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the detailed response...Here is my dilemma, My NO3 is fairly steady at 5-10ppm, but my PO4 is steadily rising and have started running GFO. So my concern with adding a fuge is NO3 bottoming out before I get PO4 under control. Am I off base? But yes, I do have room for a fuge.

I'm probably not best qualified to give good advice here unfortunately. Trying to navigate this reef thing like the rest myself :)

I tested allot in the start but after a while it was more if I had an issue. With this quarantine I am trying to test certain things more frequently......but I lost the caps to the Hannah test tubes -- woops! Waiting on replacements.

I tested phosphate the other week and it was .06. I'm not running any GFO (or any additives/chemicals)

I subscribe to the theory of not chasing numbers and implement things to solve a problem. Then again I'm not keeping SPS (yet) so that view may change :)

I added my refugium as part of my battle with caulerpa in the display. Combining manual removal, fish to eat it and a refugium to out compete it for resources.... The "low" nitrates were just an added bonus :)

Bryan68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably not best qualified to give good advice here unfortunately. Trying to navigate this reef thing like the rest myself :)

I tested allot in the start but after a while it was more if I had an issue. With this quarantine I am trying to test certain things more frequently......but I lost the caps to the Hannah test tubes -- woops! Waiting on replacements.

I tested phosphate the other week and it was .06. I'm not running any GFO (or any additives/chemicals)

I subscribe to the theory of not chasing numbers and implement things to solve a problem. Then again I'm not keeping SPS (yet) so that view may change :)

I added my refugium as part of my battle with caulerpa in the display. Combining manual removal, fish to eat it and a refugium to out compete it for resources.... The "low" nitrates were just an added bonus :)
OK, thank you for all the information....think I will give it a try :)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 19 27.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back