Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
1 long nose butterfly- 4”
1 powder blue tang- 4”
2 clownfish- 1.5”
2 cardinal fish- 1.5”
1 melanurus wrasse- 4”

I was feeding 1/2 cube brine morning AND night everyday.

I switched to 1/4 cube brine morning and night.

What leaves me wondering if I feed too much, my nitrates hover at 50ppm even with weekly water changes. And if I don’t swap out my phosphate absorber every 4 days, they like to creep up too.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size aquarium and do you have plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria populations? 1 cube daily is definitely not overfeeding IMO. I feel multiple times per day with no issues well exceeding 3 cubes per day, but I have plenty of live rock in Display and additional marine pure blocks in my sump and water volume is 265 gallons.

OP
OP
paxton.rock

paxton.rock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size aquarium and do you have plenty of surface area for beneficial bacteria populations? 1 cube daily is definitely not overfeeding IMO. I feel multiple times per day with no issues well exceeding 3 cubes per day, but I have plenty of live rock in Display and additional marine pure blocks in my sump and water volume is 265 gallons.
75 gallon. But I am running canister filter

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree you’re not over feeding. How quick are they eating the 1/4 cube. It sounds like there are other issues if your nutrients are that high. what type/size canister filter are you running.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say you’re not feeding enough if anything. Also try some mysis for your bigger fish there’s not much to the brine shrimp.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters can be real bad at 'breading' nitrates if not cleaned often enough. Have a look at cleaning out your filter and your sponges in it :)

I had a similar issue before changing to a sump-style setup.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
half a cube a day for 7 fish is very little IMO. I don't agree with feeding less as a means to control nitrate and phosphate. As mentioned above, the canister filter is probably the culprit that is keeping your nutrients high.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have:
1 long nose butterfly- 4”
1 powder blue tang- 4”
2 clownfish- 1.5”
2 cardinal fish- 1.5”
1 melanurus wrasse- 4”

I was feeding 1/2 cube brine morning AND night everyday.

I switched to 1/4 cube brine morning and night.

What leaves me wondering if I feed too much, my nitrates hover at 50ppm even with weekly water changes. And if I don’t swap out my phosphate absorber every 4 days, they like to creep up too.
I feed 4 cubes a day to my 75 gal as well as pellets on a timer. Similar fish load although I have 3 anthias.

You're not overfeeding.

I think you need to beef up the biological filtration. You could try carbon dosing with vinegar to build up the nitrate eating bacterial colonies. GFO in a reactor is the best way to manage excess phosphate, although phosguard in the canister should help a lot.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back