Am I Overreacting?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, you guys know about the sunscreen that can hurt corals... that’s why a lot of coastal states here in the U.S. banned certain types. Well I not thinking used sunscreen today and am now kinda scared to put my hands in my tank hahaha... I know it sounds stupid but should I really be worried?? I have a forty gallon so I’m not sure if the chemicals would be higher concentrated in my aquarium

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get some old fashion cow birthing gloves! But no don’t do it. I accidentally put my hands in after a day out side, but it’s usually a few hours after I use the sun block. I try to be aware and not.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep hands out of the tank if you used sunscreen recently. If its absolutely necessary I would rinse hands in hot water for a minute or two just to be safe.

NeptuneRjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put sunscreen on at least five hours ago, should I just really wash my hands or wait until tomorrow or longer?
Do your hands/arms feel oily or still smell of sunscreen? If they do keep your hands away, if they dont I would wash hands in hot water just to be safe.

Personally I would wait but if it's necessary to put hands in the tank you could run carbon after you're done just in case.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your hands/arms feel oily or still smell of sunscreen? If they do keep your hands away, if they dont I would wash hands in hot water just to be safe.

Personally I would wait but if it's necessary to put hands in the tank you could run carbon after you're done just in case.
My arms still smell a bit like sunscreen, I’m gonna take two showers over the course of tonight then really wash my hands before going in and try to get some carbon for it afterwards. Thanks for the help all do you!!!

iambenfields

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a shot but in the time it took to write all this couldn't you have washed your hands like a dozen times? Also - get long gloves, never worry about it again!

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything questionable gets on my hands they dont go in a tank for at least a day. Lots of washing with no soap. If I really need to get hands in a system during that 24hrs the yellow reef gloves go on first.

OP
OP
Casket_Case

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not having a shot but in the time it took to write all this couldn't you have washed your hands like a dozen times? Also - get long gloves, never worry about it again!
Yes. I very well could have. But I wasn’t sure if that would take care of the problem. As I saw some people will wait a day. If I just washed my hands and said “To Hell with it” I could’ve risked getting something in my aquarium. But I took the time to make sure I knew what I was doing before I messed things up big time.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every reef keeper should have a pair of these and use them every time their hands are in the tank. They take a second or two to put on, cover most of your arm and are proof against bites from even big Maroon Clownfish..

If you are on a budget, here is a pair for under $10. I can't speak to the longevity of these though.

For $24 the Coralife gloves should last forever. My last pair was going strong after ten years, but got lost in a cross country move...

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every reef keeper should have a pair of these and use them every time their hands are in the tank. They take a second or two to put on, cover most of your arm and are proof against bites from even big Maroon Clownfish..

If you are on a budget, here is a pair for under $10. I can't speak to the longevity of these though.

For $24 the Coralife gloves should last forever. My last pair was going strong after ten years, but got lost in a cross country move...

I'm getting me a set. I'm tired of being paranoid about something contaminating my tank

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back