Am I ready for a BTA?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used some live rock and some dry rock, not the same thing as 100% live rock. The dry rock will take a good six months before it is fully ‘live’, at least IMO. You asked in your other thread about getting (another) torch, and I don’t think you or your tank are ready for it (I don’t say that to be mean or to doubt your competency, but the truth is that you are still very new to the hobby and have about a months worth of experience). And if your tank isn’t ready for a torch, it’s not ready for a BTA. If you really want to try some LPS, get a hammer (they are far more forgiving than a torch), an acan, blastomussa, a Duncan, something that is a little more forgiving. If I recall correctly you’re not testing for alk or cal, I couldn’t in good conscience recommend any stony coral or anemone until you’ve started testing for those and have been able to keep your alk steady for a minimum of a few months. I get being excited that your tank is cycled, but cycled does not mean established or mature, and without a lot of experience on your side, taking on stony corals or anemones is just too risky (let’s not forget that at the end of the day we are talking about an animal’s life or death). There are plenty of cool and forgiving soft corals for you to wet your feet/cut your teeth with, that aren’t super temperamental and that won’t just die within a few hours because you had an alk swing. So, in case it isn’t clear, my advice is slow down, readjust your expectations, don’t try to work way above of your experience or equipment level, and work on prolonged stability before trying corals that demand stability.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You used some live rock and some dry rock, not the same thing as 100% live rock. The dry rock will take a good six months before it is fully ‘live’, at least IMO. You asked in your other thread about getting (another) torch, and I don’t think you or your tank are ready for it (I don’t say that to be mean it to doubt your competency, but the truth is that you are still very new to the hobby and have about a months worth of experience). And if your tank isn’t ready for a torch, it’s not ready for a BTA. If you really want to try some LPS, get a hammer (they are far more forgiving than a torch), an acan, blastomussa, a Duncan, something that is a little more forgiving. If I recall correctly you’re not testing for alk or cal, I couldn’t in good conscience recommend any stony coral or anemone until you’ve started testing for those and have been able to keep your alk steady for a minimum of a few months. I get being excited that your tank is cycled, but cycled does not mean established or mature, and without a lot of experience on your side, taking on stony corals or anemones is just too risky (let’s not forget that at the end of the day we are talking about an animal’s life or death). There are plenty of cool and forgiving soft corals for you to wet your feet/cut your teeth with, that aren’t super temperamental and that won’t just die within a few hours because you had an alk swing. So, in case it isn’t clear, my advice is slow down, readjust your expectations, don’t try to work way above of your experience or equipment level, and work on prolonged stability before trying corals that demand stability.
No man, you got it all wrong.

I decided not to get the other torch after the gang talked me out of it.

I also said I’m not going to get a nem for a solid 5+ more months.

If I recall correctly you’re not testing for alk or cal
I just ordered the Salifert Calcium test kit, and am currently saving up for the Hanna phosphate and alkalinity testers.

I don’t want to try any LPS yet, because I don’t know all of my parameters...

Have you been keeping up with my journal? I’ve pretty much explained all of this in there...

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No man, you got it all wrong.

I decided not to get the other torch after the gang talked me out of it.

I also said I’m not going to get a nem for a solid 5+ more months.

I just ordered the Salifert Calcium test kit, and am currently saving up for the Hanna phosphate and alkalinity testers.

I don’t want to try any LPS yet, because I don’t know all of my parameters...

Have you been keeping up with my journal? I’ve pretty much explained all of this in there...
I will admit, I haven’t read your build thread in a couple days. I am happy to hear that you have decided to wait. Also, I would get the alkalinity checker first (at least before the phosphate checker if you’ve already ordered the calc test). Also, I would get a better nitrate test (IIRC you’re using api). The reason being is that in your build thread (and again this was a few days ago), you said your nitrates were zero or near zero, which is very unusual for a tank that is a month old, which makes me think your test kit is wrong. If you have algae or cyano, you have nitrates, so I would definitely look into getting a more accurate test kit. And again, I want to be clear that I’m not trying to condescend or gaitkeep, I’m just trying to help you avoid problems that come with trying to go too quickly.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I would get the alkalinity checker first (at least before the phosphate checker if you’ve already ordered the calc test)
Will do!

The Calcium test kit is on its way, so I will order the alk one next.

Also, I would get a better nitrate test (IIRC you’re using api).
Yes... very useless IMO.

Is the Hanna Nitrate tester good?

The only reason why I went with the salifert c. test kit, is because some members said that the hanna c. tester was inaccurate sometimes.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think $80 for an extreme rainbow BTA is fair. After looking online, they range from $140-$200 for a small nem.

Plus, I would be supporting my LFS?

Obviously this is further down the road, but I just want to be prepared. ;Cat
Getting close to when thinking of getting an anemone start checking local reefers. You will have much better health than from an LFS or online.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do!

The Calcium test kit is on its way, so I will order the alk one next.

Yes... very useless IMO.

Is the Hanna Nitrate tester good?

The only reason why I went with the salifert c. test kit, is because some members said that the hanna c. tester was inaccurate sometimes.
The Hanna nitrate tester is good, but it’s low range (0-5ppm or 0-50ppm if diluted), and it’s a long, drawn out process (lucky if you can do it in 20 minutes). I like it because I hate color match tests, but Salifert is like $15 and will work just fine.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hanna nitrate tester is good, but it’s low range (0-5ppm or 0-50ppm if diluted), and it’s a long, drawn out process (lucky if you can do it in 20 minutes). I like it because I hate color match tests, but Salifert is like $15 and will work just fine.
Gotcha! Thanks. :)

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in order for the test kits:

1. Salifert Calcium (on its way)
  2. Hanna Alkalinity tester
  3. Hanna Phosphate tester
  4. Salifert Nitrate
  5. Hann Salinity/temp?
My birthday is coming up soon, so hopefully I will get a lot of $$$ so I can get all of these. My dad asked tonight what I wanted for my birthday, and I said, "A phone and money". And he said, "A phone and money? Easy"

;Woot ;Cat :cool:

Back