Am I ready for a BTA?

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked in my last thread, how hard BTA’s were to keep, and I got the answer “easy, assuming you keep them in the right conditions”

Well, I make sure to treat my fish very well and maintenance my tanks weekly. I think I’m ready!!

Here is the tank specs:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
pH: 8.4-8.6
Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 78F
Lighting: Nicrew Marine LED (might look to upgrade later) - Kept on for 13 hours each day, with 15 min. ramp up/ramp down
Water: RO/DI

—-

Do these look like ideal conditions?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but it’s the amount of stability those numbers have.
If you can keep them there consistently , BTA is fine. DC8D30AA-5E93-4D1D-87E9-1CDD80EAD02F.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked in my last thread, how hard BTA’s were to keep, and I got the answer “easy, assuming you keep them in the right conditions”

Well, I make sure to treat my fish very well and maintenance my tanks weekly. I think I’m ready!!

Here is the tank specs:

Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: <5ppm
pH: 8.4-8.6
Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 78F
Lighting: Nicrew Marine LED (might look to upgrade later) - Kept on for 13 hours each day, with 15 min. ramp up/ramp down
Water: RO/DI

—-

Do these look like ideal conditions?
How long has your tank been established?

What sort of par are you getting from your light?

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I get the feeling it's too young based on the fact you're still testing for ammonia, but I could be wrong. I would wait until you can keep your parameters stable from week to week without forgetting to test or dose for at least 6 months. Once you are truly confident in your ability to keep it stable, then go ahead and get the nem. Keep in mind, nems wander when their environment changes, so keeping it stable is total key. Keep them fed and they'll reward you with a beautiful display.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age is a big factor, how old is your tank?. I'm also not familiar with how well that light performs. I have my rainbow that sits about 6" below my kessil at 85%. So roughly 300 par.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been established for about a month. I already have 2 coral frags by the way.

No clue... don’t have a PAR meter. :/
I would not get an anemone. Give it another 6 months before you try.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the tank? I get the feeling it's too young based on the fact you're still testing for ammonia, but I could be wrong. I would wait until you can keep your parameters stable from week to week without forgetting to test or dose for at least 6 months. Once you are truly confident in your ability to keep it stable, then go ahead and get the nem. Keep in mind, nems wander when their environment changes, so keeping it stable is total key. Keep them fed and they'll reward you with a beautiful display.
I’m not still testing for ammonia... haven't tested in 3 weeks. I cycled my tank with Bio-Spira and live rock.

That's a big variable. Anenomes are light hungry.
I think it might be 110:
0DDDCD42-C16C-488A-95B1-4F7F72DED769.png

I have the one all the way to the right.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not still testing for ammonia... haven't tested in 3 weeks. I cycled my tank with Bio-Spira and live rock.

I think it might be 110:
0DDDCD42-C16C-488A-95B1-4F7F72DED769.png

I have the one all the way to the right.
Parameters at this point don't matter. An anemone will not survive in a new tank. Usually the only exception is if established live rock was used in the setup.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock I'm talking about would have needed to come from a tank that was already matured. Would be covered in coraline and wouldn't have required a cycle or any additives.

OP
OP
James_O

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't think that Lamp has enough umf for what you want.
The light does not have the output necessary at 32w.
I’d be thinking 80w min.
They don’t seem to do well in early tanks.
Thanks guys. I am looking to upgrade my light, to something similar to this:
93B203D4-AA40-44FC-9F91-2802E5A7B376.jpeg

I have no clue what the brand name is, but my LFS has 2 for sale, for $100 each. Obviously I would only be getting one.

I guess I’ll wait the 5 more months... 6 months just seems insane to me. It will be mid October before I get one!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have no clue what the brand name is, but my LFS has 2 for sale, for $100 each. Obviously I would only be getting one.

I guess I’ll wait the 5 more months... 6 months just seems insane to me. It will be mid October before I get one!
That's ok. Nothing GOOD in this hobby happens fast. Only disastrous.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Elegance coral may fill yr anemone need in the meantime

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a good test. If you're not willing to wait the full amount of time, I would suggest re-thinking whether or not you really want to get a nem. Though one less month would probably be fine, it's a sign on impatience (which I am heavily guilty of) and often leads to similar corners being cut with care, whether intentional or not. If you really want the nem then go ahead and wait the 6 months to see if you're really up for it.
Ugh, text is so bad at conveying mood xD I mean all of this in a lighthearted way, forgive me if a mis-convey my meaning.

Peter A

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion keeping BTA and other corals is about experience as well. Does the aquarist have the tools and ability to keep the tank parameters stabile or know what to do to fix it if it is not stabile? I’ve been keeping reef aquariums for 20 years. I started a new 30g nano build 6 months ago and put in a bta at week two. It’s been growing and doing great. I bought another bta and that is doing great as well. So it can be done in a new tank. Ok top of the advice given already here are my tips:
- light should be around 200 par or above
- make sure wave makers and pumps have anemone guards (not fish guards). Anemone guards are larger and have smaller holes. Anemone are basically the consistency of jello. If your pump sucks up a piece of jello it will suck up an anemone. Anemones will wander or even float around the tank for a while until they find a home.
- put the anemone in first then add other corals once it has settled in its spot. But there is no guarantee it will stay there forever
- feed the anemone if you have a low nutrient tank
- be prepared to do water changes weekly to replace trace elements or do additives
- Be prepared to do emergency water changes
- anemones will divide if well cared for or if it’s is stressed out. Be prepared to have many more in the future
- anemones inflate and deflate all the time. It’s normal so don’t stress out. You can test to make sure your water parameters are inline for piece of mind. Be worried if the anemone is shrinking over time or if it looks like it is decaying.
Hope those help

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back