Amino acids

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using KZ amino acids for about 6 months, 1cc/50gal daily.
Has no effect on PO4 that I have measured. LPS corals look great but I have no real science to say it is the aa.

Louis Solomon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Korallen Zucht amino acids, Pohls, use full zeovit.

20C73975-57D4-4411-A2A4-32438B02202C.jpeg BD2465E5-3E11-4FC5-8D92-ACCF4BE87B39.jpeg

j0359m

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do acropower and Red Sea reef energy.

Considering looking into some zeovit (Dr.Pohl)stuff soon as it seems to have the most dramatic results but also requires the most testing and it’s expensive..
I used zeovit for 2 yrs without much success & it is verrry expensive, just switched to Red Sea Reef Energy & Trace Colors huge difference for me

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you that are dosing over the course of the day, do you have your skimmer on a timer to turn off? I know the Brightwell product says to turn off all forms of mechanical filtration.

I just dosed the Brightwell amimos over the weekend for the first time and turned off my skimmer and took the filter socks out (was doing maintenance anyway). If I was to not use the ROX carbon, I'd have to shut off the return pump since the reactor is inline.

I don't really have the time to target all of the corals so am going the broadcast route (outflow from gyre). Any one see a difference between the 2?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals were bleaching, then I started using Red Sea A & B and my corals got there color back. Now Iam using Brightwells Amino acids and it seems to do well. But Brightwells bottles don’t last too long.(approximately 2 weeks for a 65 gallon tank

I will be trying something called AquaForest growth boost amino acids in a powder form. Iam gonna see how that product works. I think in powder form amino acids will last a lot longer.

Did you end up using Aquaforest? I'm struggling to decide which aminos to use as well. Based on what I've read (from current sale prices and daily dosing instructions), here's what the cost would be for dosing each option (that I've looked at) to my 120g tank:
  • Korallen-Zucht Amino Acids (100 mL bottle): $5.10 cost per month - also easy to dose by counting drops (I think 5 / day for me)
  • Red Sea Reef Energy A & B (using the huge 5L bottles): $10.20 per month ($5.10 for each bottle)!
  • Brightwell CoralAmino (2L bottle): $8.70 per month!
  • Acropower (32 oz bottle - would be cheaper with a gallon): $3.30 per month (but I'm personally skeptical of this brand)
  • Aquaforest Amino Mix (just a 50 mL bottle) - Wow, just $1.56 per month! Based on their recommendation of 1 drop / 27 gallons every other day (which seems low?)
  • PolypLab Colors Amino Acids (50 mL) - Also cheap at just $2.25 per month! But that's based on their recommendation of just 1 drop per 100 gallons per day, which seems like almost nothing. I'm skeptical of this company though - their expensive coral dip ($15 to use one time with one gallon) has terrible instructions and is nothing but potassium salts. Plus they offer two different amino acid products - why?
  • PolypLab Acids (50 mL) - Still cheap at $4.05 per month, but what's the difference between this and "Colors?"
I was leaning towards Korallen-Zucht (being a reputable company), but I have to say that Aquaforest (who I don't know as well but still seems like a good company) is pretty compelling with that super low price point. I definitely wouldn't do Brightwell. I like Red Sea, but they require 2 components and the price is really high - especially considering that's with buying 5L jugs!

*Another note - Aquaforest has an "Energy" product with fatty acids, vitamins, carbs that doses in the same amounts as their Amino Mix. Sounds like it would be similar to Red Sea's two products for a fraction of the cost...

The big unknowns are A, how good are the amino acid mixes in each of these and B, how conservative / aggressive is each company being with their dosing recommendations. I'd love to hear more opinions on this!
--Kyle

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have and use Aquaforest and Pohls/Korallen. Best response has been with Aquaforest

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have and use Aquaforest and Pohls/Korallen. Best response has been with Aquaforest

Thanks, that's encouraging to hear. I just added a note to my previous post about their "Energy" product. Sounds like the two together would be similar to the two Red Sea Energy products for a lot less money. Do you use their Amino Mix, Energy, or both?

And do you just use Korallen's Pohls Vitalizer? Or another product of theirs? Or maybe I misread that - you dropped KZ in favor of Aquaforest? Thanks!
--Kyle

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Energy is very thick and applies in low content, and I find myself using up the bottle quickly

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Brightwells Coral Amino for about 6-7 mos after talking to guys at WWC. But I dose 10ml in 10gal ATO tank weekly. By dosing via ATO I don't have to shut down skimmer. My frogspawn & hammer(s) have literally doubled in size and all others are showing more growth since.

IMG_7008.JPG IMG_7012.JPG

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have brightwell for my drop off tank. The bulb gets hard after use a few times, and it is the cheapest of the Aminos out there.

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brightwell for my drop off tank. The bulb gets hard after use a few times, and it is the cheapest of the Aminos out there.

See my post (#69) above. Brightwell's is one of the most expensive. I'm hoping to hear more about Aquaforest. Very inexpensive, and they have a companion vitamin, fatty acid, carbs product (Energy) that sounds like it would work well (like the two Red Sea components) together without a big price tag.
--Kyle

HappySticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started using brightwell a few months ago. I’ve had good results. I was using acropower before and still continue to dose them both.

I added Brightwell to my regiment because I was picked to be part of the Bulk Reef Supply trial that just ended. I noticed enough change to buy a 2L jug of it to keep dosing.

70B1E454-383B-48A6-A954-187D1935EC71.jpeg 7A7804C0-50C5-4AEF-A274-18CA7A02C063.jpeg FAAE8F9F-DAB6-405E-81EF-31E02E2A39B1.jpeg B7D12F15-D629-4E8F-A283-2A21B6B41935.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
See my post (#69) above. Brightwell's is one of the most expensive. I'm hoping to hear more about Aquaforest. Very inexpensive, and they have a companion vitamin, fatty acid, carbs product (Energy) that sounds like it would work well (like the two Red Sea components) together without a big price tag.
--Kyle
I PAY $26 FOR BRIGHTWELL AND $30 FOR AQUAFOREST. They both work well. I still say better results from aquaforest

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I PAY $26 FOR BRIGHTWELL AND $30 FOR AQUAFOREST. They both work well. I still say better results from aquaforest

The price per bottle doesn't matter. The doses are very different sizes - 3 mL (which is 60 drops) of Brightwell vs 2.5 *drops* per day of Aquaforest's (apparently more concentrated) for my tank. So the price per dose is way less. 1 same-size bottle of Aquaforest would last the same as 24 bottles of Brightwell.
--Kyle

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 2 6.5%
Back