Amino acids

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I ran out of time earlier, but I meant to also ask... How much were you dosing of Aquaforest? And were you using their liquid amino seen here? Thanks!
--Kyle
Yes on both and bottles don’t last long as I have 3 tanks with largest being 660g

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to dose Red Sea A&B but it caused my phosphates to go up. I switched over to ME Polyp Extender. It is just the amino acids. My corals look very happy!
Cheers! Mark

Sorry, but what is "ME" Poylp Extender?
I'm leaning towards Aquaforest Aminos, and I may use their "Energy" product limited / cautiously... Thanks,
--Kyle

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed AcroPower being used in several research papers on acropora breeding. I've also seen papers on amino acids helping corals with infections and that kind of stuff.

I dose AcroPower weekly (and feed my corals twice a week as well).

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah, that dwarfs my 120 :) So do you dose Aquaforest Aminos by the amount recommended on the bottle? Just curious. Thanks!
--Kyle
4-5ml per dose. A 50ml bottle lasts about 2-3 weeks

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Brightwells Coral Amino for about 6-7 mos after talking to guys at WWC. But I dose 10ml in 10gal ATO tank weekly. By dosing via ATO I don't have to shut down skimmer. My frogspawn & hammer(s) have literally doubled in size and all others are showing more growth since.

I love this idea. I'm in the process of filling up our ATO right now to dose into. Great tip!

OP
OP
scabbedwings616

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the help. I’m using Brightwell now and gonna be doing it daily. I went off the wagon for a while fixing the tank and updating it.

Dominic Prezwanski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Brightwells Coral Amino for about 6-7 mos after talking to guys at WWC. But I dose 10ml in 10gal ATO tank weekly. By dosing via ATO I don't have to shut down skimmer. My frogspawn & hammer(s) have literally doubled in size and all others are showing more growth since.

IMG_7008.JPG IMG_7012.JPG
Seen any adverse effects in your ato tank?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro power.... great product good results.
Just too dilute. I prefer aqua forest amino over both.

Yeah, I like that it only takes a few drops of each of their products. Just wondering, do you use any of their other products that they suggest using together?
Amino Mix
Energy
Vitality (vitamin mix)
Build
Phyto Mix

I got the first 3 and will try them together. I got the Phyto mix for my softie tank as well. Considering Build, but not sure it's necessary. Cheers,
--Kyle

Gino Rodriguez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all what works for you. When I used acropower I always supplemented it with something else. Which translates to buying two products vs. one. You can buy two big bottles of reef biofuel before you buy on 16oz of acropower. Fuel works great for lps corals as well.
5307E38F-F736-4605-96DB-1CDD545C3D1D.jpeg
FEE4BF54-A109-4A86-9707-9BB87E86F88D.jpeg

Blue plus only (leds off)
51406856-C289-4A42-A3C2-4C332FE593C7.jpeg
DD99B954-769A-444F-9A13-0CB1CDED59CF.jpeg
What PO4/NO3 levels? Seen a lot of good evidence that acros like plentiful nutrition. Trying to not say high nutrients because that seems to have a negative connotation

I’m currently at 5ppm NO3. I test PO4 rarely. Mainly just use my eyes and look for bacterial growth or the glass getting slimy to tell me if I need a bigger WC and a good gravel vac. New to sticks but I’m able to nurse semi bleached frags back to health so I must be doing ok.

CoralFanaticDano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump :p

I think this is a great thread and I'm very interested to know what Amino's are proving to be the best. I appreciate everyone sharing their experience. To me amino's are one of those things that give a lot of hope for those of us who have struggled with rate of growth. Especially with some Acros.

Good to know that good old Acropower is still working well for people. I may go back to it!... Always liked how I could put it on an auto-doser and it's specifically designed for Acros. Currently just using Zeovit stuf: (Coral Vital, Coral Food, Amino Concentrate). With just ok results. Thanks guys!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I think this is a great thread and I'm very interested to know what Amino's are proving to be the best. I appreciate everyone sharing their experience. To me amino's are one of those things that give a lot of hope for those of us who have struggled with rate of growth. Especially with some Acros.

Good to know that good old Acropower is still working well for people. I may go back to it!... Always liked how I could put it on an auto-doser and it's specifically designed for Acros. Currently just using Zeovit stuf: (Coral Vital, Coral Food, Amino Concentrate). With just ok results. Thanks guys!
I personally like Brightwell and aquaforest Aminos. My Favorite is Fuel by Seachem

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is it specifically designed for acropora? I always thought it was just one or two aminos and made for any coral. I agree it’s diluted Much more than most.

CoralFanaticDano

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it specifically designed for acropora? I always thought it was just one or two aminos and made for any coral. I agree it’s diluted Much more than most.

Thanks for the feed back on what you're using Pedoconfuego. I like Brightwell's aminos as well, currently using them on my frag tank and will probably start using on my main display again.

You may be right on Acropower, I guess if it's not geared towards Acros than the name is a little misleading lol. I know it's not as concentrated as some of the other Aminos out there. The funny thing is that's actually one of the things I like about it because it was easy to put on an auto doser. Also I feel like it's some reasonably priced for the amount of fluid you get. Never really had spectacular results from the stuff though. I think it works, but I know it's been out for a while and can't help but wonder if there's other newer Aminos that work better.

Just curious, has anyone dosed specifically Vitamins or Multi-Vitamins with any good results?
I just ordered some of Brightwell's "Vitamarin-M" It's supposed to be a multivitamin supplement for marine fishes, corals and other invertebrates. Logically I figured a vitamin supplement would complement aminos well for coral growth and fish health.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You read a lot here that amino supplements aren’t required unless you run a low nutrient tank. But a lot of folks seem to have success when that is not the case and, of course, many don’t notice a difference.

Is there any way to quantify, based on parameters, water change schedule, etc. if you think they would be helpful?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your corals are recovering from something I think those are possibly the people noticing a difference even with elevated nutrients.

My favorite aminos are kz and aqua forest.
I also like aqua forest vitamins and micro e to give healthy growing coral a nice color bump.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back