Ammonia at 1.2 ppm

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 2 months since I started the cycling (I used Red Sea Reef Mature kit in a Max Nano Peninsula) and until a few days ago ammonia has always been at around 0.1 ppm. About a month ago I talked to my LFS about the ammonia levels (0.1 at the time) and we decided I could try adding two hermit crabs. They both were doing well so after two more weeks I introduced a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. They're also doing great. They're digging burrows and eating all the food I put in the tank. I've been feeding extremely carefully so when I checked ammonia levels and it showed 1.2 I was very confused because all animals are ok. What could be the cause of this and what should I do now? I did a 30% water change immediately after I tested the water. I've also been dosing nitrifying bacteria every week since the Reef Mature program ended.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been about 2 months since I started the cycling (I used Red Sea Reef Mature kit in a Max Nano Peninsula) and until a few days ago ammonia has always been at around 0.1 ppm. About a month ago I talked to my LFS about the ammonia levels (0.1 at the time) and we decided I could try adding two hermit crabs. They both were doing well so after two more weeks I introduced a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. They're also doing great. They're digging burrows and eating all the food I put in the tank. I've been feeding extremely carefully so when I checked ammonia levels and it showed 1.2 I was very confused because all animals are ok. What could be the cause of this and what should I do now? I did a 30% water change immediately after I tested the water. I've also been dosing nitrifying bacteria every week since the Reef Mature program ended.
I suspect test error.

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a full tank picture?
Took these now (GSP is closed because it's night here so I just turned the lights on for the photos)
IMG_5045.jpg
IMG_5046.jpg
IMG_5047.jpg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that's actually possible. Didn't know that could affect the result
It absolutely can! For any test, besides salinity, I recommend doing it as long after you've disturbed, or added anything to, the tank as possible.

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little setup. Definitely enough surface area for the bacteria. The only thing I can think of is that you were not providing ammonia for the nitrifying bacteria to survive and multiply. When did you add the goby and shrimp?

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little setup. Definitely enough surface area for the bacteria. The only thing I can think of is that you were not providing ammonia for the nitrifying bacteria to survive and multiply. When did you add the goby and shrimp?
October 19th, so 10 days now

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back