Ammonia at 1.2 ppm

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It's been about 2 months since I started the cycling (I used Red Sea Reef Mature kit in a Max Nano Peninsula) and until a few days ago ammonia has always been at around 0.1 ppm. About a month ago I talked to my LFS about the ammonia levels (0.1 at the time) and we decided I could try adding two hermit crabs. They both were doing well so after two more weeks I introduced a yellow watchman goby and a pistol shrimp. They're also doing great. They're digging burrows and eating all the food I put in the tank. I've been feeding extremely carefully so when I checked ammonia levels and it showed 1.2 I was very confused because all animals are ok. What could be the cause of this and what should I do now? I did a 30% water change immediately after I tested the water. I've also been dosing nitrifying bacteria every week since the Reef Mature program ended.
Assure , not false readings and 2 gallon water changes daily for 10 days will be sure to reduce number

williamCreery

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine. Watch your feeding, test like you have been *repeat*

You can keep soft corals. After 1 year and a HALF you will be able to grow sps and any type of LPS.
Good luck.
This hobby tests those who have patience.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pH is 8.0
Ok, so free ammonia is a tad over 0.05ppm NH3 (if you believe your test kit), which at least in the short term is relatively safe but not ideal. Have you added those shells as decoration, or have they gone belly up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so free ammonia is a tad over 0.05NH3 (if you believe your test kit), which at least in the short term is relatively safe but not ideal. Have you added those shells as decoration, or have they gone belly up?
The shells are for decoration and for the hermit crabs

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any store here in Sweden that sells any of those but I'm dosing 5 ml of Modern Reef Nitri-Bac once a week.
Unfortunately I think the real viable live bacteria is an American thing. I don’t think they ship well, let alone sit on a shop shelf well.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Ammonia now at 2.0.... What am I doing wrong? Animals are still doing good though

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're using cheap non digital easy fouled searchable as constantly misreading test kits

do you believe the readings, knowing that multifaceted detail?

if you are determined to test for ammonia when you should not test for ammonia (currently) then buy a seneye and state that reading level. $190

updated cycling science is testless so by that detail alone you wouldn't be in this issue if we were using updated cycling science.

under old cycling science, you believe (and react to) whatever ANY test kit says no matter what, no matter the context. that is what's happening currently

when you do a water change over unrinsed sand it often clouds, but not due to cycling issues/the cloud may not apply here.

the first step for you is to stop ammonia testing because cheap non digital kits can't be trusted. at this many days underwater, your ammonia isn't an issue or your animals would be dead vs happy

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back