Ammonia at 1.2 ppm

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to clarify, I used 1 ml of white vinegar to 10 Litres water, that coped with a comparable bioload.
Bubbler not required then, pH maybe already set, depending on your atmospheric CO2. Vinegar obviously reduces the pH a little. I’m assuming NOPOX is a vodka / sugar / vinegar equivalent.

Obviously a 50% water change would get rid of 50% of any problem, given correct salinity and temperature. At your current readings your well into the “Action Required” quick smart zone.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old cycling science is torture isn't it :)

Page 4 and cycle umpires still aren’t sure you’re done

On this thread, forty pages of jobs, how much hesitation did we do

Every poster there got an exact date they were ready to stock (day ten max on any fed cycle, per 50 years of cycling charts sourced and in every seneye cycle you can search)

Not a range of maybe time, an exact date

Your assigned start date has passed already, it's why your stocked reef is running just fine.

49 pages of work linked in this thread shows your cycle is ok

* I don't fault anyone for that line of thought, old cycling science is the only training available currently. It takes work threads and collected outcomes to undo the claims of risk, when nothing bad is ever actually happening as warned

The doubt you've been given here, that it might be a broken cycle, is continuance of that training. Read either of the two threads and you'll see a trend for people that use non digital test kits. That's as much proof as I can possibly give you, four straight years of logged cycle outcomes.

What your animals show each day is what matters, that they're fine. It always goes down that way where false reads are consulted

Get a seneye though, it'll ease your concerns and I’d like to see the two readouts in comparison.

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read the link Brandon posted earlier. It’s 90% his posts and was proved ultimately wrong.
it might be a broken cycle
its well known that heterotrophs can delay traditional nitrification. At least, I thought it was, not being an “ump”.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dangerous part for your system is that nobody has discussed disease risks with you by this current stocking method. That's the main way old cycling science harms reef tanks, unintentionally and markedly

Ammonia isn't your risk, brook and crypto is

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please read the link Brandon posted earlier. It’s 90% his posts and was proved ultimately wrong.

its well known that heterotrophs can delay traditional nitrification. At least, I thought it was, not being an “ump”.
If it is "delayed", will it fix itself or should I do anything?

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is "delayed", will it fix itself or should I do anything?
It's a big outlay admittedly but it's really worth investing in some Hanna checkers.it quickly becomes tiring dripping liquid into vials & looking at drops, slight nuance of colour charts etc like a Victorian doctor.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the Live rock from a LFS cured and was it in tank, or did you buy dry live rock, and threw it in your tank?
Im guessing you might have die off's on the live rock, and its causing it to leach ammonia.

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you buy the Live rock from a LFS cured and was it in tank, or did you buy dry live rock, and threw it in your tank?
Im guessing you might have die off's on the live rock, and its causing it to leach ammonia.
I used Caribsea Life Rock

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have missed it but did you have someone else test your water for ammonia recently ? Your fish wouldn’t be okay in 1 ppm ammonia, that’s for sure.

So maybe a faulty test kit, or the way you do it. Maybe at first you did it right, got comfortable and started slacking on the exact method. And got false results.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave as is as someone said ammonia test show total encapsulated (harmless) and free ammonia totals so as a rule of thumb you cut your total ammonia in half. That being said your readings are not alarming high in my opinion and the presence of nitrate is showing good levels. By doing water changes you are removing ammonia yes as well as nitrates. I would stop water changes and monitor. Let the cycle do its thing. Besides even the most seasoned reef has traces of ammonia and is never ammonia free and quite frankly shouldn’t be.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back