Ammonia at 1.2 ppm

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a new tank pic as well. the tank pic is more helpful to discern cycle status than any cheap ammonia kit that's for sure. positioning of the animals in the pic matters, related to the older pic already on file, water clarity matters in those assessment pics although sand clouding after a water change can also cause concern when there isn't any.

another challenge for you is having to choose which troubleshooting action is best.

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you're using cheap non digital easy fouled searchable as constantly misreading test kits

do you believe the readings, knowing that multifaceted detail?

if you are determined to test for ammonia when you should not test for ammonia (currently) then buy a seneye and state that reading level. $190

updated cycling science is testless so by that detail alone you wouldn't be in this issue if we were using updated cycling science.

under old cycling science, you believe (and react to) whatever ANY test kit says no matter what, no matter the context. that is what's happening currently

when you do a water change over unrinsed sand it often clouds, but not due to cycling issues/the cloud may not apply here.

the first step for you is to stop ammonia testing because cheap non digital kits can't be trusted. at this many days underwater, your ammonia isn't an issue or your animals would be dead vs happy
I thought Red Sea's test kits were good? After todays test results I am actually doubting the accuracy too, mostly because everything is looking good in the tank.
Here are some pictures of the animals today:
IMG_5098.jpeg
IMG_5096.jpeg
IMG_5097.jpeg

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post a new tank pic as well. the tank pic is more helpful to discern cycle status than any cheap ammonia kit that's for sure. positioning of the animals in the pic matters, related to the older pic already on file, water clarity matters in those assessment pics although sand clouding after a water change can also cause concern when there isn't any.

another challenge for you is having to choose which troubleshooting action is best.
IMG_5099.jpeg

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to note here for cycle umps reading the thread:

are there any cycling charts ever posted that show ammonia rising after day ten? that matters bigtime here.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pics I just saw!

your cycle is done for sure. red sea isn't good, here's nine pages of false ammonia readings from red sea:

your thread would be a valid example for that thread.

the first thing you do is cease using any more ammonia testing on this reef, due to what the ammonia line from a cycling chart shows (it goes to controlled after day ten)

your ammonia can't rise magically from here on out, only a bunch of dead fish can rise your ammonia but it won't rise first to kill your fish. Skipping all disease preps is the risk: not a cycling risk.

the solution to your issue is to cease verifying the cycle, it's done, those pics show and the # of days this tank has had water in it compared to the ammonia line from a cycling chart.

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one thing to note here for cycle umps reading the thread:

are there any cycling charts ever posted that show ammonia rising after day ten? that matters bigtime here.
IMG_5104.png

I did test a lot in October but forgot to add them in the app

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice pics I just saw!

your cycle is done for sure. red sea isn't good, here's nine pages of false ammonia readings from red sea:

your thread would be a valid example for that thread.

the first thing you do is cease using any more ammonia testing on this reef, due to what the ammonia line from a cycling chart shows (it goes to controlled after day ten)

your ammonia can't rise magically from here on out, only a bunch of dead fish can rise your ammonia but it won't rise first to kill your fish. Skipping all disease preps is the risk: not a cycling risk.

the solution to your issue is to cease verifying the cycle, it's done, those pics show and the # of days this tank has had water in it compared to the ammonia line from a cycling chart.
Oh really? That makes me so happy! So you think I could move forward (slowly ofc) with adding more to the tank? I was thinking about adding a cleaner shrimp after the ammonia issue

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When did you stop adding the nopox again?
Did you add any ammonia in the first 2 months?
Stopped nopox about 2 weeks ago I think because the water was a little cloudy so I was worried about bacterial bloom.

Yes I added "Bacto Start" according to the Red Sea Reef Mature program.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stopped nopox about 2 weeks ago I think because the water was a little cloudy so I was worried about bacterial bloom.

Yes I added "Bacto Start" according to the Red Sea Reef Mature program.
Ok. Not familiar with the kit but I did do a heterotrophic “cycle” not long ago. Are you supposed to just stop the NOPOX. In my test when I withdrew the carbon source (vinegar), ammonia processing stopped for at least 5 days.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no ammonia issue, this cycle has been done a while now. We covered this is a misread

We linked a nine page thread of similar misreads

Whatever you add is regulated by your disease prevention protocol now, not the cycle, you can add what you want

*when fish disease happens in a few months, still don't test for ammonia it isn't an issue. You don't need to test for ammonia anymore on this tank

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no ammonia issue, this cycle has been done a while now. We covered this is a misread

Whatever you add is regulated by your disease prevention protocol now, not the cycle, you can add what you want

*when fish disease happens in a few months, still don't test for ammonia it isn't an issue. You don't need to test for ammonia anymore on this tank
We? lol

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Not familiar with the kit but I did do a heterotrophic “cycle” not long ago. Are you supposed to just stop the NOPOX. In my test when I withdrew the carbon source (vinegar), ammonia processing stopped for at least 5 days.
I did not just "stop" adding nopox. I decreased the daily dose over the course of a week

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not just "stop" adding nopox. I decreased the daily dose over the course of a week
Ok, I think your supposed to add fish at day 7 or something whilst the heterotrophs are still being NOPOX powered. I’ve seen a few of these threads where the aquarist was playing it safe by leaving it longer than the system was designed for. I’d add an air stone and add a carbon source, NOPOX if you like. Heteretrophs multiply quick so ammonia may be reduced in 24hrs. If it clouds the tank, reduce the dosage. Note, I am not a cycling “ump” so take my advice as you wish. Ill include a link to my carbon dosing thingy for you to look at;

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think your supposed to add fish at day 7 or something whilst the heterotrophs are still being NOPOX powered. I’ve seen a few of these threads where the aquarist was playing it safe by leaving it longer than the system was designed for. I’d add an air stone and add a carbon source, NOPOX if you like. Heteretrophs multiply quick so ammonia may be reduced in 24hrs. If it clouds the tank, reduce the dosage. Note, I am not a cycling “ump” so take my advice as you wish. Ill include a link to my carbon dosing thingy for you to look at;

So nopox reduces ammonia?? I thought that was just for nitrate and phosphate. I am using a carbon filter bag

But do you think my test readings are accurate or not?

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they appear to be in the right ballpark, upto now. If they had been totally off from the outset I could be convinced it’s a dodgy kit.
Ok I guess I could slowly start to use nopox again. But what would the airstone be for? Wouldn't that raise the pH and make the ammonia more toxic?

OP
OP
gustavviklund

gustavviklund

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But why is it just showing high ammonia levels this last week and not earlier? Like Garf said, wouldn't a bad test kit be like that from the beginning? I just wanna be on the safe side before I add anything more

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 160 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back