Ammonia burn

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

here is the link to the video. Signs are 1 ragged fin, rapid gilling/breathing. I'm adding lots of beneficial bacteria and zeolite (ammonia neutralizer). Also did a 10% w/c and I'll do a few more throughout the night.

Parameters:

pH: 8.4
Ammonia: 0.15ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm

Calcium mag and alk don't matter to ammonia that much, and this salt mixes alk at 9.3, mag at 1250 and calc at 420 so i'm fine with those.

Will he recover with lots of water changes, zeolite and beneficial bacteria? I don't even know why theres ammonia in the tank.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue added to a QT or in a bath will help the fish to be able to absorb O2 through it's gills. Time is not your friend. I would do this as soon as possible.

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methylene blue added to a QT or in a bath will help the fish to be able to absorb O2 through it's gills. Time is not your friend. I would do this as soon as possible.
He unfortunately passed away and then a snail got him :(

Louis Z

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant aquatic . How old is this tank ? . I don’t like being an armchair qb , but this is what I would have done: moved him to another tank to get away from the ammonia as Big G suggested . Or drastic water change, 10 % is no way enough to make a dent . up to 80 or 90% . You can use Seachem’s Prime to bind the ammonia. you would have to dose a large amt : up to 1ml of prime to 1gal of water . I would do half then test, then redose up to the 1ml/gal . I also suggeest to dose nitrate reducing bacteria in a bottle such as turbostart, biospira, or dr Tim’s . Are there other fish in there ? I have to edit . For some reason my brain thought you wrote 1.5 ppm

OP
OP
I

instantaquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant aquatic . How old is this tank ? . I don’t like being an armchair qb , but this is what I would have done: moved him to another tank to get away from the ammonia as Big G suggested . Or drastic water change, 10 % is no way enough to make a dent . up to 80 or 90% . You can use Seachem’s Prime to bind the ammonia. you would have to dose a large amt : up to 1ml of prime to 1gal of water . I would do half then test, then redose up to the 1ml/gal . I also suggeest to dose nitrate reducing bacteria in a bottle such as turbostart, biospira, or dr Tim’s . Are there other fish in there ? I have to edit . For some reason my brain thought you wrote 1.5 ppm
I doubt it was the ammonia. The other clown is fine and he would have shown red sores or infections if it was ammonia. Im thinking it was brook :(

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was brook even more reason to get remaining fish into quarantine...sorry for your loss.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back