Ammonia/ nitrate

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but do people actually see it as lime green to say its 0.25? Because ive never seen it as it just milky yellow not lime green but i can see how some would think it not yellow like on card.im new saltwater but even freshwater people saying 0.25 also.i just never got it and ive become intrigued lately why?
I do notice if take test at night its deeper yellow in artificial light
It was yellow when I cycled.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let me know if post #3 shows unconvincing proof of being ready here

Last edited:
OP
OP
Codemasterflex1

Codemasterflex1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its normal that a new tank would have high nitrates, see any reef recently cycled on any forum

many times its a false read caused by the presence of nitrites, which doesnt harm anything in a cycle it just messes up the testing further, like when you mentioned api is known to be problematic. it is for all three major cycling params.

where do you get your cycling info from, can you post it--curious as who is telling you a month old reef can't control free ammonia
Should I test my nitrites again? Or do you think my nitrate is just a false read?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I test my nitrites again? Or do you think my nitrate is just a false read?

Ok here goes.
Did you dose Ammonia back up to 2ppm and then retest 24 to 36 hours later?
If so did your Ammonia return to 0?
If it did then you're done your cycle.
Now to deal with the high nitrates, after doing the Ammonia trick, do a 75% (roughly) water change all at once. This will almost certainly bring your nitrates down to a range around 20 I would think. If it does, then add your fish and have fun.

My scenario: I reached 0ppm ammonia after 7 or 8 days. I dosed to 2ppm and it came down to 0 after 24 hours.
Meanwhile my nitrates were hovering around 80ppm! Aaaaaaand my nitrites were almost 2ppm. I left the tank for another 2 weeks fretting about the nitrites which were stuck at 2ppm, then I researched and found that nitrites at that level are irrelevant in a SW aquarium. So, relieved, I did an 80% water change which brought my nitrates down to around 20 and I added my first 2 fish.
btw...my nitrites continued to read 2ppm for 6 weeks before they finally hit zero.
Since that time my nitrates are between 10 and 15 ppm and I have no skimmer nor refugium.
Have at it brother!! :)
I hope this helps in some way.

and a side note @brandon429 is very passionate and knowledgeable about this subject and is an extremely valuable resource, however can be incredibly confusing at the same time LOL!

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most confusing is when someone who’s been cycled weeks is asked to recycle over and over and then when the nitrate is sky high it’s deemed not cycled.

so

earlier, days ago when in post number 3 we deemed him cycled, that means he’s done. It didn’t meant he’s not done and we need to dose more ammonia to a cycled reef to get proof of being cycled

Last edited:

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most confusing is when someone who’s been cycled weeks is asked to recycle over and over and then when the nitrate is sky high it’s deemed not cycled.

so

earlier, days ago when in post number 3 we deemed him cycled, that means he’s done. It didn’t meant he’s not done and we need to dose more ammonia to a cycled reef to get proof of being cycled, your response was 100% confusing.

Agreed. However, a part of human nature is wanting to make sure. What harm does it do to re-dose ammonia and wait 24 hours? 1 day in the life of your reef? it does no harm and provides piece of mind to the reefer. I will always do it on all tanks I cycle from here on in.
And nowhere did I say that high nitrates have anything to do with the cycle not being complete.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is cycled, feel free to advise any number of reverifications, the prior ump had assessed the cycle as problematic due to nitrate if you read the thread flow/post 59. clicking link #3 is useless anyway if you're determined to see re proofing for yourself, have him do it. I think op is backed out anyway by now, ya'll can advise infinite retests on a fully cycled reef here as much as you like.

cycles have a set time of completion, known before the tank is even assembled, factoring the boosters used. That time has elapsed, post 3 shows the time and boosters used

You're operating on the theory that cycles can't have a predicted start date, need to be doubly verified for accuracy, and by than extension no reef convention can start on time because the entrants tanks might vary and they'd need an extra day to set up shop.

its only like that in forums, not irl

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet a virtual coin when we check back on page ten, someone is still debating this cycle that's awesome. the op will have three anemones by then and they'll all be alive, because

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fun exercise:

read his original post about the tank and list the ways the cycle can fail considering those details, where it could not be ready after this many days underwater

are there any cycling charts that agree with that possibility?

Ill list the first way the cycle can fail you do a couple more:

1. after cycling, the aquarist measured out and input antibiotics known to neutralize aquatic bacteria.

(Im leaving you boiling and freezing to apply)

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see you edited your post #70 after my latest response.
You are also completely missing the point I'm trying to make.. Carry on bravely :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back