Ammonia- non emergency....I think

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. Have a 55 gallon tank that's been going for approx 2 years. Deep sand bed. Plenty of live rock. Running a sump with Fuge filled with cheato along with a skimmer. Only inhabitants currently are a clown, mandarin dragonet, and a golden dwarf that I just added only 1 day ago. I have a large Xenia colony, 2 rose tip anemones, some hammer coral, birdsnest, and a small 4 polyp devils armor zoa. After I added my Moray and was looking around my tank, I noticed my Seachem ammonia badge had changed to the alert color. Can only really tell what color it is is when I shine a light right on it. So it shows .05 ppm. What should I do here?

Thanks

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be surprised if you actually DO have an ammonia issue with an aquarium that seasoned. Do you have another way to test for NH3 such as a salifert or API to verify?

Either way, water changes will dilute any ammonia until you can get it under control.

EDIT: spelling

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be surprised if you actually DO have an ammonia issue which an aquarium that seasoned. Do you have another way to test for NH3 such as a salifert or API to verify?

Either way, water changes will dilute any ammonia until you can get it under control.
I don't currently have another way to test, but I thought that as well. Would be surprised if I did have an issue, but if it was accurate, how bad is that?

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't currently have another way to test, but I thought that as well. Would be surprised if I did have an issue, but if it was accurate, how bad is that?

Ok, if you cant validate that reading I'd suggest doing a water change. Ammonia should be undetectable, however I do believe that .05 reading is the lowest "detectable" range of that monitor so proceed cautiously but I wouldnt freak just yet.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, if you cant validate that reading I'd suggest doing a water change. Ammonia should be undetectable, however I do believe that .05 reading is the lowest "detectable" range of that monitor so proceed cautiously but I wouldnt freak just yet.
Hm. I'll have to try and get some strips or a kit over the next day or so. Would prime be a thing I should add?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back