Ammonia not spiking during cycle

IXP7633

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 weeks ago I started my 69 gallon tank with dry Marco rock, live sand, Dr Tims One and Only, and a cocktail shrimp. After 3 days I began testing and I seen no real rise in ammonia and a very small rise in nitrite. At the 1 week mark I pulled out the shrimp and replaced it with a raw shrimp thinking maybe that was the problem. 1 week later I still see no rise in ammonia. Any reason for this? Or any ideas?

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One cocktail shrimp is pretty minor as far as decomposition, especially in 70 gallons of water. That rise in nitrite was the cycle happening.

Where is your nitrite now? If you test for nitrate, you may see a little bump.

Edit...in other words, you had your cycle :). Just go easy with bioload and let it catch up to any increase.

ColdOceanReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes it does take longer for Ammonia to raise. Also you could have ammonia spike over night..did you test nitrites again? If you don’t see high nitrites, then wait a few days then test ammonia again. Nitrites will show up at the end of ammonia.

As James stated, take it easy with bioload. You may experience a stall in ammonia if you go crazy on bioload.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back