Ammonium chloride solution for dosing

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered 99.9% ammonium chloride and I am planning to use dosing pumps to keep my rock tubs cycling instead of using fish until I get the display set up and decide on qt. Goal is to get coralline on all the dry rocks and maybe full of pods first.

Any recommendations on concentration I should mix with rodi? I'm using 4 x 55 gallon tubs and roughly 400 lbs of pukani. 2L dosing jugs. And how much should I dose? 2ppm per day?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take months to get coralline growing well, but cycling with ammonia/ammonium chloride is still a fine plan.

I'd dose once to 2 ppm, then not dose again until it disappears. Then dose 2 ppm again and see how long it takes to disappear.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can take months to get coralline growing well, but cycling with ammonia/ammonium chloride is still a fine plan.

I'd dose once to 2 ppm, then not dose again until it disappears. Then dose 2 ppm again and see how long it takes to disappear.

Months is fine. I went through the Dr Tim's cycle and the tubs are processing the ammonia overnight now. Trying to talk to someone at arc reef to see if it is possible to get their orange coralline strain but I can't get anyone on the phone or a response by email for weeks. Just looking to keep everything going now so a transfer to the display is smooth and I don't end up with a nasty look in the living room once I move everything over

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ammonium chloride arrived. Kind of disappointed because it is advertised as 99.9% but the labelling is only 99%. This is the product https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B8PXKDY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title I guess you get what you pay for.

But anyways. I haven't calculated dosing quantities in a lot of years. Would appreciate an assist if anyone is in a generous mood :) How much ammonium chloride to rodi should I use for an easily measured dose per gallon?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently about 5 weeks into my cycle. I used ammonia. Just in the waiting stage for nitrite to drop which seems to be taking forever. Ammonia is processed very quickly.

Entire system volume is about 80 gallons. I dosed 2 bottles of purple helix and I can already see purple specks here and there on my rocks. My diatom bloom went away and see the purple specks. I have green specks also but unsure if that's coraline or some other type of algae

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ammonium chloride arrived. Kind of disappointed because it is advertised as 99.9% but the labelling is only 99%. This is the product https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07B8PXKDY?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title I guess you get what you pay for.

But anyways. I haven't calculated dosing quantities in a lot of years. Would appreciate an assist if anyone is in a generous mood :) How much ammonium chloride to rodi should I use for an easily measured dose per gallon?

Do you have a scale?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonium chloride is 32% ammonia by weight.

If you want to dose 2 mg/L (~2 ppm) then you need to dose 6.3 mg/L.

In 100 gallons (379 L), then would be 379 x 6.3 = 2.4 grams of ammonium chloride. :)

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Being such a small quantity do you think it would be fine to dose in solid form or should I go ahead and mix with rodi first?

esse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On dry dead rock, it doesn’t matter. On live rock I’d add slowly somehow. Either slowly adding solids or dissolving first.
I'm also interested in dosing ammonium to supplement nitrogen, as my nitrates have bottomed out & phosphates are reading at 0.12.

If I mix up a solution of ammonium chloride salt with RODI water, could I expect the solution to be more stable than ammonium hydroxide? I want to use a doser, but I'm concerned with the solution evaporating.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also interested in dosing ammonium to supplement nitrogen, as my nitrates have bottomed out & phosphates are reading at 0.12.

If I mix up a solution of ammonium chloride salt with RODI water, could I expect the solution to be more stable than ammonium hydroxide? I want to use a doser, but I'm concerned with the solution evaporating.

You will be less likely to lose ammonia to the air using ammonium chloride.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back