Amount of GFO & pump sizing for reactor

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get my phosphate from 0.16ppm to almost undetectable & have some questions.

System details:
  • I test at 0.0-0.2ppm (hard to tell colour) nitrate (salifert) and 0.16ppm phosphate (red sea). Been this way for 3-4 weeks now.
  • I have a 40g sps setup that's quite new (2 months).
  • I have 3 small nano-sized fish & plan on adding 1-2 more in the next year.
  • I feed 1/8 of a cube of mysis or brine daily and 1/4 tsp reef roids every 2 days
  • That's with 100mL of rowaphos in a media bag sitting in a filter sock, kneaded every 2 days when I replace the filter socks.
  • I vodka dose 0.25mL vodka daily via a dosing pump.
  • I began dosing 5g potassium nitrate weekly due to undetectable nitrates, trying to get the bacteria consuming the carbon to reduce the phosphates, too.

First question: is 50-100mL of fluidized GFO media enough?

Second question: Is a Jebao DC650 (180gph with 0 head pressure) enough to keep that amount of GFO simmering in an Aquamaxx XS media reactor?

My calc/alk/mag are doing great and I haven't seen algae with such low nitrates so I think this is the last thing to handle before I can add some hardy coral.

James77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question: is 50-100mL of fluidized GFO media enough?

Second question: Is a Jebao DC650 (180gph with 0 head pressure) enough to keep that amount of GFO simmering in an Aquamaxx XS media reactor?

The fluidized GFO in a reactor is going to be far more effective than in a filter bag. Bulk reef says to start with 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons tank water which would put you at around 150 ml. i think 100 would be good to start with.

I am not familiar with Jebao and how accurate their output ratings are. But 180 gph is more than enough to tumble GFO in that sized reactor. In a phosban reactor I was pushing like 80 GPH through and tumbling. You only want it barely "boiling".

OP
OP
kwirky

kwirky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluidized GFO in a reactor is going to be far more effective than in a filter bag. Bulk reef says to start with 1 tablespoon per 4 gallons tank water which would put you at around 150 ml. i think 100 would be good to start with.

I am not familiar with Jebao and how accurate their output ratings are. But 180 gph is more than enough to tumble GFO in that sized reactor. In a phosban reactor I was pushing like 80 GPH through and tumbling. You only want it barely "boiling".

Thanks, I thought so.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back