Amphidium UV spot exposure

QCPD16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I do something I regret….does anyone know if you can spot dose UV to amphidinium in a successful manner? I created the contraption in the pictures with the idea of placing it on the sand bed for a minute or so in each area during the day when Amphidium is out. The orange cup is just to prevent UV overflow into areas I don’t want it going. The bulb is just a 3W UV bulb from Amazon. Any idea on exposure time to kill Dinos as well? I wouldn’t be stirring the sandbed so I’m assuming it would only impact what’s on the top layer of the sand.

2330A67D-856F-4C9C-9D5D-D96B55692826.jpeg C909108C-61AA-4975-B69C-6A7507AFE772.jpeg A32D31E3-3119-4D14-84A1-8E9D1E8610C1.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

QCPD16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I took a chunk of the Dino’s out of the tank and put them on a plate where I exposed them to the UV for 20 seconds. Then I looked under the microscope and they were still running around everywhere. Maybe they’re prevented from reproducing now but they’re definitely still alive

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I looked under the microscope and they were still running around everywhere. Maybe they’re prevented from reproducing now but they’re definitely still alive
It damages DNA, so that's not a fast-kill method. The DNA damage will be fatal eventually.

Is that bulb in a fixture in a way that can be submerged safely? If you trust that bulb/cup/setup in your tank, then it'll probably work.

OP
OP
Q

QCPD16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It damages DNA, so that's not a fast-kill method. The DNA damage will be fatal eventually.

Is that bulb in a fixture in a way that can be submerged safely? If you trust that bulb/cup/setup in your tank, then it'll probably work.
That particular bulb is broken, I just threw that together to post a pic of the idea. But I bought a new replacement one from Amazon. It’s made for aquariums. I had it in the back of a nano for a while.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back