OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chemiclean is an antibiotic, erythromycin I believe to be specific. It's used to eradicate cyano.
so then I assume the pods died due to the toxins from the cyanos and not the chemiclean itself.
Its easy to say "keep them out if DT" when I dont have a sump in my red sea max nano :D well, almost impossible with an AIO.

I will try to add more live phtyo then..
I saw some eating pellets on the sandbed, maybe just feed some at night..

Btw. once opened, how long can I keep live phyto in my fridge?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will last for at least a month if shaken/mixed daily.

I have personally microscoped a bottle I had for 2 months, and while most was dead, there was still close to 40% still alive.

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do people actually read threads or just titles? Well can't even say they read the title as the word FALLOW is in the title. lol

Hes FALLOW for ich, so adding a fish to combat the population isn't an option right now.
Maybe you need to read my post more carefully since I'm the only one that said anything about fish, I'm assuming this is directed at me.

Note I said what worked for me, I never suggested he use a wrasse, and yes I did read the title. I suggested removing them as jay suggested.

Perhaps you need a new mat.

Last edited by a moderator:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT:

Not worth getting upset over.

If your hurt over my post, sorry it was not directed at you per se, but anyone suggesting fish as an option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have personally microscoped a bottle I had for 2 months, and while most was dead, there was still close to 40% still alive.
OK, then that is great..
the phyto is Nannochloropsis and I dunno about fertilizer...

I will just use the plankton in higher dosage then.. :)

BVF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank exploded with pods when it was fallow. They never bothered my corals, maybe because I still fed the corals and inverts. I left them alone. When fish went back in the tank, pods were gone from sight in a couple days.

OP
OP
chipchipbro

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys.. Thanks for your help and feedback!
I will def. add more live phyto and maybe also feed some flakes and pellets during night (when the light went out)

I need to solve the problem a bit since the population grows and I was in shock when I looked into the tank with my flashlight at night :O

I saw pods all over my (especially) LPS and Zoas...

hope that will work.. otherwise I dunno what to do since catching them sounds like almost impossible?

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Considering dead phyto is sold not sure why that expired couldn’t if frozen and thawed as needed.

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank exploded with pods when it was fallow. They never bothered my corals, maybe because I still fed the corals and inverts. I left them alone. When fish went back in the tank, pods were gone from sight in a couple days.
This is where I am at as well. My tank is going through a fallow period and my pod (both copepod and amphipod) population has just absolutely exploded. I still dose live phyto and feed the corals few times a week. I haven't noticed any of the pods munching on my coral...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back