Amphipods? Mysis?

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feeding on detritus, some micro algae and particles in the water current.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are mysis! I get them too in my refugiums. Do you use a substrate, mud/sand or Natural Sea Water?

OP
OP
Pedal Dangit

Pedal Dangit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are mysis! I get them too in my refugiums. Do you use a substrate, mud/sand or Natural Sea Water?

just a few pieces of rock in refugium, bare bottom. 1-3" sand in display

I'm not sure if they are mysis, I think mysis get bigger, and have darker eyes. with a more dfined "shrimp" like formation. these always are quite small, little dragon like bodied things zipping around in the water column

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure if they are mysis, I think mysis get bigger, and have darker eyes. with a more dfined "shrimp" like formation. these always are quite small, little dragon like bodied things zipping around in the water column
Like I say it's shrimp which I don't member the name, but the main I bet every one will tell they aren't bad, and also they are good meal for you fish once they catch the return pump. I was feeding them separately with phytoplankton, but by some reason they disappear for a while now from my system, barely can see any speeding around :)

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mysis come in various species and sizes. Lots of mysis on the reefs here in Miami. I have netted and brought then home. We have some that are larger and bluish in color that are found over the reef near the surface. Then there is a similar variety, like the ones you have there that are found on the actual reef swarming. They swim so fast that they are easily confused with tiny fish. I have the ones your showing in my refugium, and from examining them, they are not the wild ones I’ve caught either.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this may be a sub-species discovered in aquariums around the world known as heteromysis hornimani. They describe the species as 6 mm max and swimming in a figure 8 pattern. I had this type of mysis in my tank until I treated with Interceptor to kill Red Bugs. If you have any interest I would pay a healthy amount to get a bag of algae with these guys inside. To me they are the "Holy Grail" of copedpods and are not yet available from growers.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back