An accurate, precise thermometer without spending a fortune??

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the analog thermometers that you can get at Petco or PetSmart to be very reliable.

1698547622335.jpeg
I completely understand why an analog thermometer can be more accurate than a digital, but my concern is that so much has to do with the solution they use as the thermal indicator, as well as where someone glued the scale into that tube. I'm not at all discrediting your suggestion, I am absolutely thinking about an analog thermometer for sure. Although it may be off in one direction, if made well it should be extremely repeatable. Thanks for the suggestion!

I have no experience with these just remember seeing some years ago that Hanna had +/- 0.5 degree accuracy (claimed) models.
*one shopping note, the $59 one in the Amazon link looks to be the same model as what SaltWaterAquarium website has for $41 and assume their shipping price is reasonable based on past experience

I kind of get the feeling that the Hanna models' main difference is just the format -- meaning do you want a single hand-held almost pen-like format or do you prefer the larger one where you can stand up (or hold) the unit and dip in a separate probe.
Yes, I like their professed 0.5 F margin of error. I assume that's over the full range of the scale it can measure (our aquaria would be a tiny, narrow sliver of that range).

I just ordered the Hanna CheckTemp from BRS! Strangely, they offered me some freebies (more than just fish foods) if I placed my order, including some B-Ionic and a Sicce 20 watt heater that was on my radar already. Thanks, BRS!

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to repeat myself, but...

Works great.

Thank you again for your suggestion! I did look at this thermometer. It does have a similar +/- 0.5 F as the Hanna, which is impressive. I have had good luck with some of the other Hanna Checkers, so I ended up ordering their CheckTemp tonight from BRS, which for me included a few freebies to make it worth my while. If this doesn't work out, I will absolutely try your suggestion. Thanks again for your reply and help!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew. I have 4 thermometers and they range about 10 degrees apart. :anguished-face:

I use all of them and just average all of them which is probably way off. So according to my thermometers I can keep Copperbands and Orcas in the same tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I've been using the Hanna Checktemp for a number of years. Ever since BRS offered me a free one.
I've bought several since and was happy to see they were all within .2 of a degree. 2 were exactly the same.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again for your suggestion! I did look at this thermometer. It does have a similar +/- 0.5 F as the Hanna, which is impressive. I have had good luck with some of the other Hanna Checkers, so I ended up ordering their CheckTemp tonight from BRS, which for me included a few freebies to make it worth my while. If this doesn't work out, I will absolutely try your suggestion. Thanks again for your reply and help!
I read the description of this Amazon "VeeGee" one as having the more common +/- 1d F (0.5d C) claimed accuracy, not the same 0.5d F as Hanna claims.

We know most people don't care but just noting since the discussion has leaned towards (claimed) accuracy...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew. I have 4 thermometers and they range about 10 degrees apart. :anguished-face:

I use all of them and just average all of them which is probably way off. So according to my thermometers I can keep Copperbands and Orcas in the same tank. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Lol!!!

to be fair, using several thermometers and averaging the results is a great way to go. Thanks for your help!

I've been using the Hanna Checktemp for a number of years. Ever since BRS offered me a free one.
I've bought several since and was happy to see they were all within .2 of a degree. 2 were exactly the same.
Great to know, thank you! I have high hopes for the Hanna CheckTemp, but we’ll see.

I read the description of this Amazon "VeeGee" one as having the more common +/- 1d F (0.5d C) claimed accuracy, not the same 0.5d F as Hanna claims.

We know most people don't care but just noting since the discussion has leaned towards (claimed) accuracy...
Yes, you are 100% correct, thanks for pointing that out! I read the description wrong, I probably looked at the C and not the F margin of error. Thanks again!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin high precision thermometer for me.
And the old floating thermometer made in Germany is extremely close.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool: I wish I knew. I have 4 thermometers and they range about 10 degrees apart. :anguished-face:

You know that you can’t Copperbands with Orca’s. An Orca tank is too small for a Copperband. You need a tank with enough room to have ice (Zero C/32 F) water on one end and bikini models swimming with the butterfly on the other.

Can you imagine how much Copperpower you would need to get rid of the Ich from a tank that big?

I’m off topic and feeling feverish. I wonder if a digital thermometer is required to measure my temperature?
Go Away Fight GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! You guys are cracking me up!

My $5 thermometer arrived today. I like it, I don't love it. If I place it in tank 1 it may read say 82.2 F. I then place it in tank 2 and it reads 82.2 F. There's no way these two tanks, with different heaters, are magically the same temp. I have to take the thermometer out of the water, allow it to cool for a few seconds, and then test the tanks. It's not instilling a whole lot of confidence, but for $5 I think it will be my new kitchen thermometer.

I do still have high hopes for the Hanna CheckTemp on order :)

reeferID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a CheckTemp probe style thermometer for about 8 years. I really like it. It is always within a tenth of a degree or 2 of my Helio controller.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a CheckTemp probe style thermometer for about 8 years. I really like it. It is always within a tenth of a degree or 2 of my Helio controller.
Hello and welcome to R2R!

Thats great to hear, I definitely have high hopes for the CheckTemp. I would think it should be here this week.

reeferID

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

Thats great to hear, I definitely have high hopes for the CheckTemp. I would think it should be here this week.
Thank you for the “welcome mat”! I’ve been lurking on the site for about 8 or 9 months while I was getting back into reefing.
So much great info on this site. My new tank was 4 months old yesterday.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the “welcome mat”! I’ve been lurking on the site for about 8 or 9 months while I was getting back into reefing.
So much great info on this site. My new tank was 4 months old yesterday.
Yeah, me too. I joined in 2017, I think, but haven't had a saltwater tank since years before that, and now trying to get back into the game.

Congrats on your new tank!!! I hope you start a build journal.
Than @Tidal Gardens uses these style thermometers on his tanks. He has a video on gizmos and such stuff, and if Than uses them for his farm you know he can't be wrong ;)
Thank you for your reply! I am a big fan of Than @Tidal Gardens, I like his videos and his collaborations with BRS. That said, I can't follow a link from your post to the thermometer you're suggesting.

I'm still hopeful for the Hanna, we'll see soon!

Thanks guys!

Tidal Gardens

Coral Farm
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than @Tidal Gardens uses these style thermometers on his tanks. He has a video on gizmos and such stuff, and if Than uses them for his farm you know he can't be wrong ;)
We do use these on every system but it is NOT what we rely on to control the temperature in the tanks. These are for a quick glance for our team to check to make sure everything is good. We control the temp with two different commercial probes. We also have a backup Neptune temp probe for alerts and a third source for temp.

also, @Salty_Northerner what is that Zoanthid called in your profile picture? I like it.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do use these on every system but it is NOT what we rely on to control the temperature in the tanks. These are for a quick glance for our team to check to make sure everything is good. We control the temp with two different commercial probes. We also have a backup Neptune temp probe for alerts and a third source for temp.

also, @Salty_Northerner what is that Zoanthid called in your profile picture? I like it.
Thank you so much for stopping by and for clarifying how you guys do things!

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using these, the Batteries last a long time, even with leaving them on. Very accurate, and I do check them with a two foot Lab Grade Glass Thermometer. BTW, I have two LifeGard Thermometers. The much older one is spot on and Alarms, when over or under my alarm set points. The newer one, they made more complicated, can’t figure out how to get to the alarm menu. Also it goes haywire on occasion. It also reads Room RH.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back