An accurate, precise thermometer without spending a fortune??

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We do use these on every system but it is NOT what we rely on to control the temperature in the tanks. These are for a quick glance for our team to check to make sure everything is good. We control the temp with two different commercial probes. We also have a backup Neptune temp probe for alerts and a third source for temp.

also, @Salty_Northerner what is that Zoanthid called in your profile picture? I like it.
My apologies, I should have mentioned that you said they were just for a visual cue to see what the water temperature is doing.

And the zoa's in my profile picture are my what they call Constellations here in Canada. They're a beautiful zoa and add a lot of contrast to the system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I received my Hanna Checktemp yesterday, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but still hopeful :)

I wanted to mention that if anyone is on the fence about the Hanna CheckTemp, they are on sale today at BRS for 20% off.

Hanna CheckTemp

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just wanting to spot check, then instruments for other things can work. I have a ThermoPen that I cook and BBQ with that I use to check my reef stuff every now and again - it is likely a lifetime tool and it is very accurate.

IMO there is nothing outside of a mechanical that I trust to be in the tank all of the time and be accurate.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are just wanting to spot check, then instruments for other things can work. I have a ThermoPen that I cook and BBQ with that I use to check my reef stuff every now and again - it is likely a lifetime tool and it is very accurate.

IMO there is nothing outside of a mechanical that I trust to be in the tank all of the time and be accurate.
Thank you. I am an avid cook and BBQ/Smoker guy. I don't think any of the kitchen thermometers are really the best for aquaria. If for no other reason, they are typically used in the 120-600 F range for cooking. I want something that is accurate and precise at aquaria temperatures.

And, as mentioned, my kitchen thermometer is not repetably accurate or precise.

Thank you for stopping by.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about? Good cooking thermometers accurately at least measure to freezing. Not all of them are good. My thermopen is on the money art through its range.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you talking about? Good cooking thermometers accurately at least measure to freezing. Not all of them are good. My thermopen is on the money art through its range.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be snarky earlier :)

I am a VERY avid home cook, and have cooked professionally. I get what you're saying about the cooking thermometers. But as I mentioned in my very first post, I have one that I have tried on my aquaria, and I find it less than precise and accurate enough for my needs.

I even ordered another kitchen thermometer, as mentioned previously in this thread, and it too didn't perform as well as I had hoped for my aquaria. I will keep it on my camper for checking steaks around the campsite.

The Hanna CheckTemp *checked* a lot of boxes for me. I haven't tried it yet, but I am hopeful this is the instrument I was hoping for.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are going to be hundreds of other instruments for other tasks that will make that Hanna look like a childs toy. It sounds like you don't want to use any of them, so the Hannah might be OK for what is left. When you get back around to this in a year or two, just remember that most use more precise things to measure and then remember the offset for their tanks. For example, I have Ranco and Medusa temperature controllers that I use my ThermoPen (which is .2 different from a $2000 Platinum Resistance unit) and then I recalibrate them, or just remember if they are off - Ranco and Medusa are also industrial grade, so they are usually quite accurate.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are going to be hundreds of other instruments for other tasks that will make that Hanna look like a childs toy. It sounds like you don't want to use any of them, so the Hannah might be OK for what is left. When you get back around to this in a year or two, just remember that most use more precise things to measure and then remember the offset for their tanks. For example, I have Ranco and Medusa temperature controllers that I use my ThermoPen (which is .2 different from a $2000 Platinum Resistance unit) and then I recalibrate them, or just remember if they are off - Ranco and Medusa are also industrial grade, so they are usually quite accurate.
Yes, thank you again for stopping by.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did we define what a fortune is?.....
Yes, greater than $100, as mentioned.

The Hanna CheckTemp hit the sweet spot for me for price and (hopefully) accuracy and precision. It's well reviewed and I suspect will be just fine for my needs for now. I was never asking for something lab grade, just something hobby level I could trust more than what I've been using.

Thank you for your reply.

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, I received my Hanna Checktemp yesterday, I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but still hopeful :)

I wanted to mention that if anyone is on the fence about the Hanna CheckTemp, they are on sale today at BRS for 20% off.

Hanna CheckTemp
How is your Hanna checktemp? Any issue

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for a thermometer myself and came across this thread. The Hanna was suggested a lot.
It was suggested to me in this thread, and I thought for the price it was exactly what I was looking for. I was not looking to buy a multi-thousand dollar lab-grade instrument, but I wanted something a little more accurate and repeatable than the kitchen thermometers I had been using. For the $50 or so I paid for the Hanna CheckTemp, I couldn't be happier with it.

KC2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the Hanna because it's consistent and pretty fast. When I'm changing water I want to match the temp within a degree. The tank and the new water I'm using is usually above room temp so it's nice not to have to wait while a thermometer settles.

Croftsy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was suggested to me in this thread, and I thought for the price it was exactly what I was looking for. I was not looking to buy a multi-thousand dollar lab-grade instrument, but I wanted something a little more accurate and repeatable than the kitchen thermometers I had been using. For the $50 or so I paid for the Hanna CheckTemp, I couldn't be happier with it.
Same I don’t want an all song and dancing expensive one just something better than the cheap digital different reading one. Like that it can be used for mix salt and different tanks as it’s handheld

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same I don’t want an all song and dancing expensive one just something better than the cheap digital different reading one. Like that it can be used for mix salt and different tanks as it’s handheld
Yeah, I can go around and check all my tanks quickly, salt and freshwater. I do wipe the probe with some alcohol in between tanks, just for added peace of mind.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back