Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Party Fun GIF by Solar Impulse

I've been following this build since I made my account, and even before. I'm so excited to finally see saltwater in this tank, and here it is!
Same here. This thread is the main reason that I log in to r2r most of the time.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incredibly exciting!! They look absolutely tiny haha.

Are you going into test daily to make sure ammonia doesn't spike and have adverse effects on them?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is incredibly exciting!! They look absolutely tiny haha.

Are you going into test daily to make sure ammonia doesn't spike and have adverse effects on them?
Yes, For sure!

I tested yesterday before I put them in, all at 0... added 200 gallons of used SW water, a ton of live rock from my holding system and 4L of Brightwells MicroBactor7.

I'll keep a close eye on it and take it slow... should be good with all the seasoned live rock I put in for this small number of fish. I'll feed them just enough to stay perfectly healthy.

My goal is to ease into the new tank and keep all the fish rocking!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I couldn’t help myself… needed to see the whale in the big tank… I hand fed the large Vlamingii and scooped him up in a giant net. Walked 5 steps over to the big tank and let him go in there!

He didn’t skip a beat… swam over to the current occupants and started hanging out.

I fed the tank and he started eating in the water column within a few minutes of being dumped in!! So rad to see him in there!

I also moved over a few hundred pounds of seasoned live rock from the holding system over to the temporary sump to help support the new occupant!!

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I thought I had a big fish tank. Lol. 5k gals blows mine away.... what are you gonna do for flow? Can't wait to see all your stock and what you do with it all and such ect ect.
You gonna do.the led.cannon lights?
D

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is he over a foot?
Yes easily, probably closer to 15", Should have measured him when I had him in the trout net! LOL
Man I thought I had a big fish tank. Lol. 5k gals blows mine away.... what are you gonna do for flow? Can't wait to see all your stock and what you do with it all and such ect ect.
You gonna do.the led.cannon lights?
D
Your tank is plenty big!! Still working on some flow ideas but for now I have 2 hammerhead golds returning through 4, 1-1/2" sea-swirls and some random pumps pushing water down low. Light rack is almost done with the ecoexotic led cannons and XHO's. I have tons of fish in the holding system that will make their way over once the tank starts rocking!
If you are ever in Dallas I have a 10+ vlamingii with streamers I would be happy to give you
That would be awesome!! You have a bull in a china shop with him and all those sticks!! LOL

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CFA90B91-6AAA-4C28-BB69-8B4DBA4DC06C.jpeg
63FDBD7C-8988-409A-B349-B39DDB903578.jpeg

Want to gravity feed this temporary skimmer with the far right drain.

Bummer I don’t have my sump and skimmer (and other gear) I ordered over a year ago from aquarium engineering.

Now I have the added complexity of trying to plumb this in for the cycle while not fully committing to anything permanent.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CFA90B91-6AAA-4C28-BB69-8B4DBA4DC06C.jpeg
63FDBD7C-8988-409A-B349-B39DDB903578.jpeg

Want to gravity feed this temporary skimmer with the far right drain.

Bummer I don’t have my sump and skimmer (and other gear) I ordered over a year ago from aquarium engineering.

Now I have the added complexity of trying to plumb this in for the cycle while not fully committing to anything permanent.

You are way more patient with him / them over this than I would be, hope it swings your way.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't like the sound my Hammerhead produced so I went back to internal pumps.
I have a HD blueline 55 pump and an old iwaki Japanese pump that pretty quiet though still in the garage. They just don't have the volume output that gold pump has. Lol. I also have two of the 1 1/2" seaswirls! Lol.
Great minds think alike. Good job on the tank and flow and light. Looking fwd to seeing more.
D

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Shouldn't be long, says right here on his site...:confounded-face:

Important Order Information​

Every product is built-to-order so please allow between 4-8 weeks to receive your product.

Includes FREE shipping to the lower 48 states. Please contact us for shipping quotes to Alaska/Hawaii and international locations.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back