Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
71054987373__2E9F7473-9311-4E7D-B340-BA51666D1CDC.jpeg
71054988301__AEF169FD-322E-4F18-A0B6-49C410875B69.jpeg

Playing a little catch up after my last ICP test… tanks been up and running now for a year without a major water change so it’s time to renew some elements that have been depleted.

Put in half on Saturday and the others on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing some happy Corals!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave, when you say half/half do you mean half the bottle?
Here is what I added per the ICP recommendation:

Strontium Lab 1L - 7 bottles
Chromium Lab 200ml - 2 bottles
Lithium Lab 200ml - 1 bottles
Molybdenum Lab 200ml - 4 bottles
Zincum Lab 200ml - 12 bottles
Ati Manganese 100ml - 2 bottles
Nickel 100ml - 4 bottles
Iron+Trace Color C 500ml - 2 bottles

So I added half of these one day and the other half the next...

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crikey that's a lot of trace elements!

Are you going to use that as an approximation for how much you should dose monthly/quarterly/bi-yearly so they stay more consistent throughout the year?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crikey that's a lot of trace elements!

Are you going to use that as an approximation for how much you should dose monthly/quarterly/bi-yearly so they stay more consistent throughout the year?
Yes - that was a true up for the full year so far... :astonished-face:

As corals grow I anticipate having to dose more often.

I plan on doing an ICP test at least quarterly and truing up each time... to start.

I'll see how that goes. I can always divide up the doses and dose more frequently if it seems like the corals respond better to that. ;)

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - that was a true up for the full year so far... :astonished-face:

As corals grow I anticipate having to dose more often.

I plan on doing an ICP test at least quarterly and truing up each time... to start.

I'll see how that goes. I can always divide up the doses and dose more frequently if it seems like the corals respond better to that. ;)
Very curious to see how an ICP test would come back now after the full dose. Just to check and confirm. Also wonder how long those new levels actually last ?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1689353890763.png

Well this was posted in our neighborhood FB group the other day... May explain what killed all the fish when I added the 2" external air snorkel. They spray this stuff nightly for mosquito abatement during the summer months since we live near a lake.

Winds may have been just right to push some of it our way into the snorkel, into the skimmer and whammo... a bunch of fish gasping for air and some expired. (I didn't lose any of my 4 cleaner shrimp which is interesting)

I've lived in the neighborhood for over 20 years (they have sprayed the whole time) with no known issues but this could have done it.

ONWARD!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1689353890763.png

Well this was posted in our neighborhood FB group the other day... May explain what killed all the fish when I added the 2" external air snorkel. They spray this stuff nightly for mosquito abatement during the summer months since we live near a lake.

Winds may have been just right to push some of it our way into the snorkel, into the skimmer and whammo... a bunch of fish gasping for air and some expired. (I didn't lose any of my 4 cleaner shrimp which is interesting)

I've lived in the neighborhood for over 20 years (they have sprayed the whole time) with no known issues but this could have done it.

ONWARD!

I wouldn't want that stuff sprayed anywhere near my house. Unless there is a problem with malaria in this particular lake, this seems like a bad idea in general. Yikes.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1689353890763.png

ONWARD!
What the…… that’s crazy Dave and you gotta think this was definitely the culprit right? Assuming you didn’t have the snorkel in previous years?

how will you proceed in future years? Remove the snorkel? Do they give you notice when they do it.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What the…… that’s crazy Dave and you gotta think this was definitely the culprit right? Assuming you didn’t have the snorkel in previous years?

how will you proceed in future years? Remove the snorkel? Do they give you notice when they do it.
I will add a carbon filter to the air intake… they do come around the same time each evening…

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1689353890763.png

ONWARD!
Oh goodness that’s devastating . So sorry. But seems like the culprit

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back