Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, it took me all day but I ran (probably walked) through the whole process today, all 34 pages. My last tank had a leak and I sold off everything. Couple years later new one up and running. Started with dry rock this time, been just letting it run with about 12 fish in there just letting it mature. Figured id wait a year or so until I added any corals, you got me curious to use biogest and go for it. Ive been running around 4 months now. I'll start slow but think ill go for it, and just stay on top of testing..... beautiful tank and lots of knowledge in this article. Glad you're out of R2R jail.
When you add the Biodigest use also a carbon source to boost slightly the bacteria population.
User friendly I found over the years the use of Zeostart as a carbon source.

Good luck my friend, and I see you really worked yourself through, lol.

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you add the Biodigest use also a carbon source to boost slightly the bacteria population.
User friendly I found over the years the use of Zeostart as a carbon source.

Good luck my friend, and I see you really worked yourself through, lol.

It was a process, lots of reading. Pics kept it interesting. So I got a couple of ?’s

So on 150 gal system just using vodka as a example may use the zeostart.

1 vial a day and 25ml of vodka a day?
How long would I keep up dosing that everyday?
Then say 1 vial a week after 2 straight weeks of everyday dosing?
Do you dose carbon source every time you does biodigest?
And all that is fine with keeping my fish in there right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a process, lots of reading. Pics kept it interesting. So I got a couple of ?’s

So on 150 gal system just using vodka as a example may use the zeostart.

1 vial a day and 25ml of vodka a day?
How long would I keep up dosing that everyday?
Then say 1 vial a week after 2 straight weeks of everyday dosing?
Do you dose carbon source every time you does biodigest?
And all that is fine with keeping my fish in there right?
Dang, late response, sorry mate!
Biodigest double dose in the first day and keep a weekly maintenance dose until you feel the nutrients are where you want them.
Since you have the tank almost matured, do yourself a favor and use a small daily dosage of Vodka and watch nutrients! IF they drop, reduce dosing by half.
Start slowly and do not overdose Vodka, I did VSV for years and it's dangerous powerful.
Really recommend to use the Zeostart for less issues down the road!
For example I did use pure Potato Vodka (not the grain Vodka, which is not even real Vodka!) of 5-6ml per day on my previous 210G SPS forest which had about 200-300 clown fish!

What I did with my tank in the first few days you can only do with an empty tank or a bucket of rock in water! Fish won't like it!!!

-Andre

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, not really. Added maybe 2 or 3 fish, but nothing special.
What a shame, this tank is lacking of Beautiful fish ;-)

Wait until the move is over!
I figured that might be the case :) you've got no need though with how things are going :) I for one certainly can't wait to see the tank in it's new permanent home!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that might be the case :) you've got no need though with how things are going :) I for one certainly can't wait to see the tank in it's new permanent home!
It's going to be interesting to report the entire move here with all the details and **** that will happen, lol
Looking forward to start building furniture and skirting ;-)

So I can play with all my new toys, lol.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still not sure with what sort of sand I go.......
Definitely white Tropic Eden sand, but not sure yet what grain size.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Pink branching Cyphastrea close up ;-)
Originally from the @Diesel Tank. Glad a frag made it at least through the disaster.
Love the unique green coloration on the base which is tricky to achieve. Haven't figured out which trace element did trigger this effect.
On this pictures you can see the little pink/red mouths coming out........

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Originally from the @Diesel Tank. Glad a frag made it at least through the disaster.
Love the unique green coloration on the base which is tricky to achieve. Haven't figured out which trace element did trigger this effect.

My lfs has a nice small colony going well, I have a frag promised! Stunning coral! :)

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to be interesting to report the entire move here with all the details and **** that will happen, lol
Looking forward to start building furniture and skirting ;-)

So I can play with all my new toys, lol.
It'll be lots of fun and not nearly as stressful for us to watch the move happen haha I do not envy you, I've done two tank moves and they're never any fun at all.

Still not sure with what sort of sand I go.......
Definitely white Tropic Eden sand, but not sure yet what grain size.
I'd love to use a super fine in my tank but even my coral sand has troubles staying put in certain areas lol. That being said I don't mind the coral sand at all :) Easy to keep clean, easy for my critters to live in and my wrasse can bury nice and easy in it too :) The biggest downside is that coralline loves it and most my sand is now a purple hue :( haha

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lol!
I have colony that is the size of a softball, maybe bigger and this stuff is slow growing.
Besides it's hard to find as well.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has a nice small colony going well, I have a frag promised! Stunning coral! :)
Stick with it and take the chance, you won't regret it!

Lol!
I have colony that is the size of a softball, maybe bigger and this stuff is slow growing.
Besides it's hard to find as well.

Yes, agree, definately a collector coral that takes it's time.
I remember you were barely fragging it.

My frag turned at least into a mini colony, really proud about this piece.
Broke my heart when the bigger colony died :-(

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It'll be lots of fun and not nearly as stressful for us to watch the move happen haha I do not envy you, I've done two tank moves and they're never any fun at all.

I'd love to use a super fine in my tank but even my coral sand has troubles staying put in certain areas lol. That being said I don't mind the coral sand at all :) Easy to keep clean, easy for my critters to live in and my wrasse can bury nice and easy in it too :) The biggest downside is that coralline loves it and most my sand is now a purple hue :( haha
Dang right, always looking forward to tank moves until after the first 12-14 hours of work and things doesn't seem to come to an end, lol.

On the sand, I love the fine sand but concerned that I will blow it all over the place, hence I may stay with a shallow bed but bigger grain sizing.
It's not that I'm not ok with it, to have little piles of sand in different spots in the tank, it's just I plan to have a dynamic flow pattern in place again and that will blow stuff around all day long..............

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 11 20.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 37 67.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.3%

Back