AndrewJ tank build

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are moving this weekend and therefore starting over in a way with our reef tank. We will temporarily house our live rock , fish, and corals ( we really had just started acquiring corals and adding them to the tank recently) in a 4 foot acrylic tank, about a 75 gallon tank, while we rehab a 100 gallon acrylic and wood stand.
I'll post pics of the 100 gallon once we have moved it empty so I have "before" pic.
I have attached a pic of the zoanthids we have in the tank now. We were lucky imo and we're able to get a rock with established colonies on it when our LFS was moving locations. Pic was taken with radions set to all blue , 33% strength.

20160514_185330.jpg

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current profile pic is a shot of the 100 gallon a few months back when we were first setting it up. We didn't know own we would be moving then, or we would have waited to setup the tank to begin with.

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current fish occupants are two blue throat triggers (more on them on a future post, they started out as a trio), a Naso tang, a blue hippo Tang, and a skeletor eel, a sea hare, two blue legged hermit crabs, and some Margarita snails.

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planned equipment:
-Trigger Systems Emerald 39 sump
-Ecotech Marine M1 return pump ( I may swap this out for the Cor pump if it comes out soon, I would like to be able to control it through apex).
- Neptune Apex (I guess it's a classic now) with lab grade pH probe.
-WMX unit
- breakout box - I have a couple of. projects in mind including some. door open close sensors and door bell buttons for different lighting, feeding and maintenance modes.
- MP40QD
- I am looking at the Tunze pumps as well to see which might be best to place behind my rock work.
- 100 lbs of Marco Dry rock, some of which is cut flat one side to make it easier for me to create shelves and caves.
- (2) maybe (3) ecotech marine XR15PRO
- Large Avast Marine spyglass. SICCE SYNCRA 0.5 pump. I am currently running Purigen in this, not sure if that will change or not.
-I have a Sicce media reactor, maybe for carbon and or GFO.
- I have 2 BRS dosing pumps for calcium and alkalinity.
- I am currently dosing NO3POX4 with a BRS dosing pumps. This may change. I have dosed vinegar in the best as well.
- Tunze protein skimmer DOC 9410. ( I have to say I like this skimmer. I had an issue with how to use / set it properly with my current setup and Tunze USA was very helpful and quick to respond relative to other manufacturer s I have worked with. A simple water height adjustment and it was backing to working fantastically).
-Tunze osmolator for the RODI top off.
- BRS RODI 75 gallon a day system.
I am currently researching the RedSea program, the Zeovite System, and a sulphur denitrator. Not sure at this point which I will go or in what combos. If I go with the Zeovite system I am also looking at the Avast Marine's Vibe. I want to automate as much as I can with whichever way I go. There are 3 of us in the household who actively take care of ther tank, so we have time to do a lot, but that many hands on a system can cause confusion and possible over or under completion of tasks, such as dosing. Automation should alleviate that issue, along with assigned tasks and good record keeping.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't decided what heaters to use yet.
And I plan on adding two small fans under the cabinet aimed at the sump and controlled by the apex to help control temp. I will also setup at least one or two fans in the back of the wooden stand panel just to circulate old air out and new air in under the cabinet. I will probably pick up some used computer fans as I should be able to get them for free for this.

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so after having to move with short notice and a bunch of other things that got in the way, we are back to setting up a tank. The old tank inhabitants were moved on and we will be starting over. Here's a couple of pictures of one of my son's sanding and buffing the tank.
c50c6bd8846665a5e8f43033ca9cd73b.jpg
6ef34faa2aa537082c51a60521b6ba89.jpg
d4c62ef034bf0bf7aeaba50d5015246b.jpg

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so after having to move with short notice and a bunch of other things that got in the way, we are back to setting up a tank. The old tank inhabitants were moved on and we will be starting over. Here's a couple of pictures of one of my son's sanding and buffing the tank.
c50c6bd8846665a5e8f43033ca9cd73b.jpg
6ef34faa2aa537082c51a60521b6ba89.jpg
d4c62ef034bf0bf7aeaba50d5015246b.jpg
Looks like a job, it's going to be worth it when your done, I hope??

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is worth. We picked this acrylic 100 gallon tank up for about 200 bucks used. Minimal cash investment in novus and sandpaper to remove the scratches, and our time, which with 3 teenagers around on summer break isn't a problem. That leaves me a big chunk of change to put towards other things.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it is worth. We picked this acrylic 100 gallon tank up for about 200 bucks used. Minimal cash investment in novus and sandpaper to remove the scratches, and our time, which with 3 teenagers around on summer break isn't a problem. That leaves me a big chunk of change to put towards other things.
Wow, that's a deal... I'd put my teenagers to work too....

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as equipment goes, we did make a few changes.
-We went with Apex Wav starter kit and a Tunze nanostream 6040 that will be controlled by the Apex.
-We wound up with (4) XR15W Pro lights.
-We stopped dosing NoPox
-added an Aquamaxx denitrater T2.
-Picked up a GHL doser.

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main setup of the tank and the transfer of the fish finally took place. Now I have to take care of cord control, setup the doser, organize the apex, etc. But, we have a running aquarium!
2c3c72e092225c361ee32bec3e335ac3.jpg
6ee3d9de46a905bd2348128b750e4d0d.jpg
4c867fa3a3e4a19ecd3399e6d8a23397.jpg

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, one thing I'd like to suggest is to move those rocks about 2" away from the glass (acrylic) so that you can clean them later

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, one thing I'd like to suggest is to move those rocks about 2" away from the glass (acrylic) so that you can clean them later
Goos advice. I think the pictures and angle may be deceiving, there is only one rock that actually touches the tank wall and it is movable at the top. They rest have enough space from the wall to clean around. We made sure there was plenty of room in the back as well.

OP
OP
AndrewJ

AndrewJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We setup a DIY bean animal overflow for this tank using a CPR retrofit overflow box and PVC plumbing parts from the big box store. This is the first time I have used this setup and I am impressed. It is silent and handles the flow with out any difficulty.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 132 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back