rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone tank

Ok so I am starting a new build as I sold off my last setup and have regretted it since the guy drove away with it. But I am doing a bit of a different system this time around. So I got rid of my tank last year and have since built many freshwater tanks since then which helped me find a ton of my saltwater stuff. BOOM new tank time. I for sure want a new build thread though so that i can keep track of the build and pick some brains of course.

So I am using an old 40 breeder which I am going to reseal (never leaked) with black silicone. Just to be safe and improve the looks of the tank. Painted the back of the tank Black already and the bottom as well. YUP Bare bottom time. Below is a few images of the painting process she's still wet as i type this.
side of tank.jpg

Bottom of tank.jpg

First as you can tell this tank is on a giant cinderblock and plank 1 hour built stand. Basically I needed a spot for my tv and the tank in the basement. Second I am buying a new house in 2 years I believe so I am aiming for aged live rock without pests for a much larger tank at that time. So since this tank is going to be part of my building blocks for the new build I decided not to build a fancy stand and make it super easy to work on instead.
Materials for the stand:
(24) cinder blocks​
(8) 4" blocks​
(2) 2 x 12" plank​
(1) 2 x 8" plank​
(2) sheets of plywood that were leftover in the garage 5/8" thick white pine​
So for 80 bucks I have an extremely strong stand but she is in no way shape or form pretty. I may eventually magnet or velcro a nice panel in front of the cinder block just to hide the block but I may even toss some blackout curtains on and call it a day. We will see what future the wallet holds. I will also be using the self leveling mat under the aquarium itself as I do not want to put a piece of plywood on top of the planks. (I like the look) Wider shot of stand below.
Ghetto Stand.jpg

I no longer have all of the technology my older tank had and do not plan to get it with this tank either as 40 is too small for future plans. I will be using a kessil a160w tuna blue (since I already have it) and either a second one or a t5 aquatic life hybrid 36" light. I am leaning towards the aquatic life as I had great growth my last go around with this setup. But the main kicker here is that I do not feel like buying a new skimmer and would rather use the one you see on the bottom shelf. Hydor Performer 2005 skimmer. Rated for 500-800 gallon systems. It is a recirculating pump so I do not need to worry about the sumps water level and I can have the skimmer outside of my sump making more room for CHAETO!!!! But we will find out if I can even get this monster to produce skimmate in such a small system.

Oh yea by system I mean 40 gallon breeder and the to be determined sump. I love basic sumps with 3 chambers and may have to see if my LFS will make another custom for me or if they have one that fits my needs. I left 45 inches of space in length and 32 inches of space deep for the sump. Skimmer in or out of sump will be determined by what i can find. Oh and about 34" of head clearance for removing skimmate cup and hanging a h180 or something of the sorts.

Ok so this tank will be a lot of "firsts" for me. This will be my first bare bottom tank and also my first negative space tank. I really want to take my time and make the rockwork look amazing and not have a giant pile of rocks in the center. Also I will not be introducing any pests into this tank (lol hopefully). But as I have named this thread I will only have anemones in this tank. Invertebrates as well but no fish, coral, coral plugs, or live rock. By inverts I mean anemone crabs or anemone shrimp and maybe a few cleanup crew, but nothing crazy. Which of course means the longest ugly phase possible blah.

But here is what I have in mind so far for the build. (Which may end up being bought tomorrow lol.
  • Sump with large area for chaeto and brightwell bricks for bacteria.
  • kessil a160 or aquatic life t5 hybrid fixture. (let me know your opinions on this option. I am leaning towards T5.
  • kessil h180 for chaeto. (Had the 380 on a 120 gallon and absolutely loved it.)
  • Return pump (May go DC jebao so that I can have 2 pumps for the price of any other brands 1 pump. (opinions?)
  • overflow box (leaning towards lifereef if he's not backed up on orders) but if not than eshopps it is. I really do not want to drill this tank as it is like 15 years old and housed a turtle for 12 of those years. (not my turtle until a year ago). So instead of weakening an old tank I will roll with the overflow box until i get tired of it.
  • Gyre with foam over propellers for flow and anemone safety
  • probably about 300w of 2 seperate heaters maybe on an inkbird or BRS version
  • used apex if i can find one soon, most basic one is fine by me actually as I just want the temp on my phone. With the probe in the overflow box and the heater in the sump that will also let me know if the sump is clogged or anything by the temp dropping. I would try other tech but I am used to apex so that just makes life easy.
  • all of the other things i am forgetting insert here!
So basically I am shooting for a few High end anemones and some inverts to live in them with a great aquascape.

Oh also I still have an ATO, 9 stage rodi system (7 with some doubles), tropic marin classic salt, salt mixing barrel, small ato container, Huge ato container as well.

has anyone tried those 100 dollar ATO's that are out? I would love to hook an ATO to each of my tanks downstairs from a single 50 gallon barrel. That would shave 200 dollars off just in ATO's.

Well please be nice and let me know what you would change or any advice you have. I will keep this up to date with my progress.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I was checking out the LFS's in the area I ran across some tanks and I did a thing. 57 Gallon Deep Blue Rimless Edge tank. Also all the loc line for both pre marked return holes including splitters to take it from 2 to 4 if i need. So now the 40 breeder is becoming my sump and the 57 is the eye candy. Images below:
painted 40.jpg

taped tank.jpg

painting tank.jpg

paint miss 1 spot.jpg

Dry fit my plumbing in the overflow so that everything is in order and not blocking the durso (i think thats what this setup is called). The overflow also has a lid over the entire thing so the white pvc inside will not be seen. I painted the back other than the overflow area so that I can still service it easily without only having the top down view.
plumbing overflow.jpg

Started doing my rockwork as well while the paint was literally drying. 2 Foundation pieces from BRS, some Marco Dry Rock, and shelf rock pieces. This small structure was 7 bottles of 1 ounce super glue gel. So I ran out before I was able to complete the structure. She still needs some height and 1 side needs an arm of sorts. Picking up more superglue later today and hoping my accelerator doesn't run out before i grab more of that. After all of that I have the marco mortar as well but i am not sure if i will cover the mortar in sand or just let it be.
rockwork.jpg

rockwork 2.jpg

Plenty more to do but I am waiting for my self leveling mat to arrive before I finish the plumbing (holes in wood already cut) and 1 spot of paint needs to dry. Also think I have a plan for the front of the stand :).

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have taken care of a bit more and the tank now has some media in the sump cycling and i will tie in the tank tomorrow to include the display as well. Brightwell N03 Cubes for biomedia so far. Monday or Tuesday my miracle mud and Fiji Mud will arrive as I can't decide between the 2, so I;m going with both. 1 type in each tray.

So as I stated I have started cycling with the Brightwell Start XLM. Once that completes though I am taking a bit of a risk and trying some things. I am basically going to add a few different types of bacteria and let them fight it out for a winner. I am feeding the tank with Brightwells fishless cycle product instead of pure ammonia. Figured I would try something different this time around.

Packages arrive daily and the LFS's are probably tired of seeing me. Attaching some photos for now and update the rest later. Lots of information to add and all of the specifics but wow am i tired.
left rock.jpg

tanked.jpg
rough sump.jpg

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so starting from the top and working down:
Lights are aquatic life T5 hybrids with a kessil 160 tuna blue centered. This will eventually become 2 kessils but for now I don't need lights so I can wait on that one. 2 Blue + bulbs, 1 coral+ bulb, and 1 aquablue special. one of this may be switched out for an actinic once I grab the other kessil.

From there the overflow box is plumbed with 2 x 3/4" loc line. Currently waiting on the Random Flow generators to arrive and will change out each loc lines tip. Figure the random flows would add to the turbidity of the tank.
For flow we are starting off with a jebao cp-90 gyre. I know its a cheapo but with all the negative space and no SPS it should do the job. I know I am calling this an anemone tank but that is because it is my main focus for the tank. I will of course toss in a few other corals as well. But the Anemones are my number 1 goal for this tank. Nice rare bubble tips and a bottom pane of glass at least half covered in rock flower nems of all colors.

Deep blue sends the dumbest bulkhead fittings ever and I should have replaced them but I decided to play their game and found fittings to adjust to their horrible idea, so 1 1/4" drain and 3/4" return somehow successful. Soft tubing on the return instead of hard but it will help on the vibrations so i guess that works. Pipes just won't be sexy oh well.
Skimmer is the big boy Hydor performer 1005 fed by a mightyjet 538 gph dc pump. I figured dc will give me some tunability on the pump as well.
I placed 2 trays in the fuge section in which I will be placing Miracle mud in one tray and Walt Smith's Fiji Mud in the other. I have used Miracle mud before and I believe that it made my fuge awesome. So with no ill effects I am attempting it again in this setup. But since I want to try Fiji mud as well this time I am rolling with both. These should also help curve SOME of my Bare bottom negative space issues with the bacteria blooms.
Return pump is a Jebao 5000 DC pump. Another Cheapo lol. This pump actually rocks and is extremely quiet. But I will eventually be replacing this pump with something a bit more tried and true and this will become a UV feeding pump/backup pump. For now with bare rock and no fish she can move water for me very well.

I also have the Triton core package sitting on the shelf so after the ugly stage and before any Nems or corals are added I will start dosing the minimum needed to the tank just to even out the calc and mag. Tropic Pro Classic seems to keep those lower to avoid the precipitation issues but I know they need to be raised at least to the minimum suggested numbers. After that kit is gone I will be checking out All for reef probably. Depending on what the tanks PH decides it will sit at I will decide as Kalkwasser may be needed or something of that nature.

Fuge will be lit with H160 Kessil horticulture light. Loved kessil H380 on my last tank but I think an H160 should have enough power and not be overkill for this lighter bioload tank. Fuge may not be chaeot but Red Dragons Tongue. I love that macro and in my area it is kind of scare so when I harvest I could make a few bucks each time instead of trashing it. Heater will be a eheim jager 150w or 2. Also picking up an inkbird and tossing the probe in the overflow box.

Also grabbing some wood panels and Magnets. So with a wood panel across the front of the entire stand magnetically connected to the cinder block stand it will hide my simple design. Doing it on the sides as well and you will never know what the stand is actually made of. I will probably be adding an access panel or viewing port near the sump area though.

So currently I have the return pump shooting water from the last chamber to the first chamber with brightwells bacteria in there and brightwell N03 cubes. Using the Brightwell fishless cycle nutrients as well as per its instructions. Once the Muds arrive they will be added to the trays as well. I will be filling the tank today and tossing the gyre on it as well. In the tank I am going to run Dr. Tims to seed the rock. So I will have both the tank and sump cycling separately. I have 0 reason for this other than wanting some diversity in my bacteria. Once both are cycled separately then I will connect the 2 water sources and let the bacteria duke it out. As soon as the Ugly stage begins I will then start dosing Live Rock enhance and add a third contender to the fight. During the ugly stage I may toss in a few saltwater mollies though as my LFS has them for 3 bucks. If I ever get tired of the mollies my 2 turtles will be more than happy to show them some hospitality. I highly doubt this will "crash" the cycle mixing bacterias like this but I really want some diversity in my bacterias early as I believe this may help avoid at least a few algae blooms. Also I will be adding my macro algae as soon as a fish touches the water as that should be covered in bacteria as well.

Even though I am experimenting a bit with this cycle I am also doing it as per DR. Tim said at macna 2019. Basically 85 degree water at 1.15 salinity until cycle is complete and then increase the salinity to reefing levels. He seems to know what he's talking about so I will put my faith in the experts and give it a try. I mean in the summer biological process are way faster than in the winter outside so lets assume a bit of heat will help.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added random flow generators to the loc lines and have dropped the temp a bit to use Live Rock Enhance from reef brite. Added Miracle mud to a tray in the sump, and added Fiji mud to a second try in the sump.

Grabbed one of those Mightyjet aio 538gph pumps as my skimmer feed pump. These are fantastic pumps if you have never had one. 100 bucks for a DC tiny pump that fits the back of aio tanks and comes with like 8 fittings. Work horse of a pump and absolutely dead silent.

Ok so fired up the skimmer now for oxygenation and to get the biofilm inside of it built up. I do not have it set high enough for it to actually skim for now. But once I do start skimming I am sure it will be an overwhelming amount of skimmate. Fiji and miracle mud left a lot of tiny floaties and from me playing with the air gate valve I am sure she's ready to go at any time.

20201123_123654.jpg

As you can see here the foggyness is real. But that will go away in due time. Actually basically gone now I just haven't taken a new Pic. Today I will raise the salinity to reef tank status and continue the dose of live rock enhance until the container is empty but my cycle is actually pretty complete. Nitrates are showing up and ammonia is a goner 24 hours later. Trying to avoid lights for awhile but I have to keep feeding the tank this fishless cycle stuff or toss a fish (invert) in. The one thing I for sure am grabbing today is a type of macro algae and some pods to get that started. Plus I figure the macro should have some bacteria on it to add some biodiveristy. I will be swishing it around in some new saltwater to knock off any hitchhikers. If I see no nasties then maybe it goes in tank. If I see anything questionable then I guess it's getting coral rx action or a freshwater dip. I keep reading online how some kill macro and others don't but nothing definitive. By the time I go to the lfs I will have a more definitive answer.

Also as I'm avoiding buying an apex or hydros currently and I am using smart outlets, an echo show, and ifttt. Had most of this laying around other than the echo show. Now I can turn things off and on with alexa. And if my return pump turns of my ifttt will send me a test message. The only reason I am avoiding it is to appease the bank account. For now I invested in soo much at one time I think I will hold out. I do like the hydro 4 but I want to see more videos on it. Also I realllly want a seneye so I think that purchase will be before the controller. I have plenty of test kits to get me through the upcoming months before anemones. After anemones may be the controller purchasing days though as I love the redundancy of owning one. Alot of secondary safety checks so to say.

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank seems like it is coming along good. The hardest thing to do in this hobby is to take things slowly, I found that out the hard way. I have a 57 Deep Blue as well, the only thing that drives me crazy about it is the center overflow. I think if I had to do it all over again, I would have gone with either the corner overflow or a slimline (like a ghost). I have been able to get around the way it sticks out with some different aqua scaping trials and errors.

I have not had any issues with the 3/4" return at all, I have it piped through 2 discharges with 1" fans at the end. I may change those out and add 2" fans or the random flow generators. However, I have 2 MP10s (1 at 50% and 1 at 40%) running on the sides on short pulse so flow is not a problem. The only issue I have with the overflow setup is how hard it is to clean the inside of the overflow and the strainer on the end of the intake. I can only access the overflow from the front of the tank, so I have to get on a stepladder to reach down into the overflow. I wish the PVC pipe was attached to the bulkheads with threads at the bottom of the overflow so it was easier to remove the strainer. I am always afraid I am going to pull the PVC out and flood my sump.

I enjoyed reading your build thread, keep us updated!

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup I completely hate how large that overflow is but I got a great deal on the tank so I jumped on it lol. Since I am focusing on Anemones for this tank I am hoping that if the flow is too strong in the center then they will adjust and go beside the overflow.

With that being said I may be grabbing another powerhead or gyre eventually as I am seeing the dead spots from the single pump.

Oh I actually never glued my return pipe or drain pipe into the bulkhead for that reason. I figured during a water change I could just pull out the drain pipe to give my hand a bit of room. And if that is not enough then unscrew the loclines and pull the return as well. Hopefully this doesn't bite me in the rear.

So I have basically spread cash around all reefing websites over the last few weeks and have acquired lots of goodies lol. Tropic Marin all for reef, triton basic 7 (BRS giveaway freebie), brightwell stuff, foods, bacterias, flipper floats, and test kits.........TEST KITS:

I am now starting to see why everyone hates API test kits. I swear they were decent years ago. But the one I got 3 weeks back and have used every other day is completely useless. I can add ammonia it reads 2 ppm. I can water change......2ppm.....i tested 2.5ml of pure ammonia and 2.5ml of my tank water mixed together......2ppm......... nyos test kit ordered and in route lol.

So I used some left over Tropic marin classic salt to cycle the tank and I only had enough to start. So I just recieved my 80 gallon bucket of tropic marin Bio Actif. I figured if I am gonna overdose this tank on biodiversity I might as well toss probiotics and such in the mix too lol. After the 80 gallon bucket is completed I will return to Classic in which I will stick with until the end of tank. Just figured for the start of the tank I seriously want to flood this thing with biodiversity and see if that helps in any way at all. So far all it has caused is a permanently cloudy tank lol. Once I want to drop some fish or something in then i will toss in an old uv light. I have the hobby green killing machine and a massive jebao that I have altered a few times. figure one of them will clear up the water when it's time.

Also I know nothing in this hobby happens fast. but I still did a thing. Ordered the Pink fusion coralline algae spores bottle to seed the tank for coraline. If it works then sweet the coraline will begin a bit earlier helping fight off some of the ugly stage. If not then hopefully a few spores will survive until the tanks ready. After my first water change and introduction of Bio actif i have begun adjusting my alk, calc, mag to a happy level with all for reef. Probably a complete waste but I would rather start with the levels at least close to correct vs way behind. So aiming for 9dkh, 420 calc, 1400 mag, calc and mag have some play but i like the 9 dkh number for sure as that is what TM Classic comes out mixed at. Meaning I only need to maintain alk, and raise the other 2. I will eventually be using BRS 2 part but the wife doesn't know that I saw she ordered it for xmas. :D. With 0 coral uptaking these i will for sure manual dose just to keep things relatively stable. BRS doser pumps will replace me in the spring/summer most likely.

Wife had to give up another XMAS gift early as well. Clearview Tsunami lid with feed port and 2 cutouts. I sent her a link and image of a "sample order" that she could grab me for xmas. Once Clearview lids had questions she had to give in and have me answer them. So in like 42-49 days I may see a tracking number lol. Lead times around the holidays and all.

So for now the plan is double check to see if this cycle is done with other test kits. Add my pods and macro and get the tank to stabilize a bit. Also during this time choose some inverts and such to start stocking. I may end up with clowns and a bristletooth but that may not be for a bit as I want some fancy fish. I mean If I am barely stocking fish in here they better be good looking!

Macro and pods will go in a bit early but they should survive. Figure Red dragons tongue in the display and chaeto in the sump until the tank is ready and the red dragon is grown out a bit. Then slowly get rid of chaeto for a red dragons tongue sump. hell i may even toss a breeder box in sump and keep a small portion of chaeto with low flow just to use the breeder box lol. (random fish stuff laying all around this house).

Well that's all for now. Building buddies 20 gallon long sump as well here in a bit. Got him setting his tank up as well so I have actually been doing 2 setups at once lol.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so my waters starting to clear and the ammonia is steadily dropping. I'm assuming the cycle is coming to a head. But now that I am "running" the system a bit. Basically tried the skimmer for 2 weeks with it too low to foam just to break in. Raised it to foaming levels for a few days and with such a sterile tank I'm getting cloudy water skimmate lol.

But once the tank is going I'm debating if I will actually need the skimmer. My 120 gallon refugium made my skimmer so ineffective it ended up being just a waste of an outlet on the apex. With this monster skimmer having 3 pumps I may end up selling it and using the cash to invest in a better CUC.

Leaning towards a Flame fin tomini tang and something similar to a foxface (but possibly smaller and won't eat shrimp and crabs)

I want an invert heavy tank but still have the heavy algae deterents. And clowns will run anemone crabs and shrimp off of the anemones. I kind of what a sea of crabs and shrimps feeding and cleaning though lol.

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so its been awhile since I updated this thread but My Clearview lid should be arriving soon so I figured I would start updating it now. Oh and I know that anemones eat fish but I have never once seen or heard of a healthy tang get eaten by an anemone. Maybe a carpet anemone while its sleeping but never a BTA or a rock flower.

First things first.......DO NOT ADD EVERY BACTERIA ON EARTH!!!!!!!!!

Actually you probably could and be fine but I did not pay attention and was doing only 10% water changes each week. My Nitrates were so high from the bacterial warfare that the red sea nitrate test needed a measurement 10x higher! If i could guess the Nitrates approached 250-400 ppm at one point. SOOO after a million water changes she's looking really good now.

The skimmer was a bust! Oversized skimmer was a bit too loud for my tastes and would barely skim until the load was heavy and boom overskim. I jumped on that 60% off sale from BRS and bought a skimz monzter 122 external recirc for 150 bucks. Pickled up a backup pump and impeller as well. This should get me through 2-3 years before i want something else. Oh and suggestion to anyone with an external skimmer get the overflow protection device!!! On the old one and the new one I had a day or 2 where I came downstairs to skimmate slowly seeping out of the overflow cup....YUMMY!!!! So I am using the AutoAqua skimmer security version. Works well enough.....It shuts itself down too often but I guess its better than missing a full cup. If it keeps it up I'm installing a mechanical one and selling this off for snail money.

Also got rid of the jebao scp90 gyre as it was too powerful and had no option for anemone nets at all. So after it sliced and diced my anemone to bits I figured it was time to switch up. Picked up an icecap 2k and will grab another soon. Maxspect stopped giving away those little anemone and snail nets with their gyres but Icecap tossing them in the box with the 2k and 4k! They lack some of the features of the Maxspect but they are 100 dollars less and anemones are not that picky. :)

Oh yea so the tank stayed cloudy for a crazy amount of time but after I made a few changes boom clear as can be. First I tossed in an old UV sterilizer the "green machine". These things are so small and useless but for some reason I have used this 1 on many many tanks and never had an outbreak so why not lol. That did not solve my cloudiness issue though (not inline just kind of in the sump assisting). I tossed in more biomedia (Biohome ultimate marine) and took my 2 trays of fiji mud and miracle mud and placed them on top of the media making sure that there were no large holes letting water in and out the underside.

I did this to create 2 things:
1.) A semi cryptic zone with less water flow for the bacteria that thrive in those environments.
2.) No light for the bacteria (and pods) to survive and reproduce in that area.

Who knows if it helps but I with all the research on cryptic zones and dark thriving bacteria strains I figured why not create a zone similar in my tank.

Water still took awhile to clear but now I feel that my bacteria have a strong foothold in this tank and I haven't seen a bacterial bloom since Late November.

Stocking has been a slow process since the anemone was chewed to bits. Carbon cleaned the poison and water changes cleaned the rest but I didn't lose a single invert (how this happens who knows). But I finally gave in and decided no stinking fish for this tank. I am running all inverts until I can not handle not seeing a swimmer any longer.

I picked up the brine shrimp hatchery on BRS (EPIC) and I am slowly stocking the tank with its CUC. I say CUC but as these are the tanks sole inhabitants I guess its more of a stock list:
10 top crown snails
2 peppermint shrimp
2 trochus snails
2 astraea snails
2 porcelain crabs
10 cerith snails (big ones)
5 reef scarlet hermits (big ones)
10 blue leg hermits (tiniest ever seen) and tons of extra shells to slow the snail killing
1 Rainbow bta, 1 green bta, 1 rock flower.
Way more stock to go but the tank is really clean still so I don't want to starve them upon entry is all. For sure porcelain anemone crab numbers will increase. I basically want a large harem of these even though most say only 2 per tank. If a clown harem tank works hopefully a crab harem tank will work so the next time I purchase these I will do 10-15 in one buy.

Oh also I misread the dang order and ordered dragons breath and not dragons tongue. So I am waiting on that to get back in stock as I still want it and some blue hypnea macro as well. Ugly phase has come and gone and its time to really flood this tank with anemones. Above was the pictures of 2 of the anemones feeding on Rods food and they loved it for sure. I add Brine daily gut loaded with spirulina and aminos and have some nori sheets for the snails once every second week so that nothing starves in this tank. It's basically all diatoms and film algae so I doubt they are getting a full nutrient balance with that.

Other than that the tank is finally running smoothly. Test weekly and dose for what's missing (basically alk) once I had to do mag but that was just from a major water change with whatever salt I used at the time.

I will bust out the good camera and take some "non-blue" images later as well as I have not attempted it with this increased amount of blue and actinic on a tank yet. Also I hate playing with the settings on the cell phone to adjust for a quality image.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i believe I will go get some wood and make my panel for the front and possibly a panel for some wire management. But for now here are the updates.

Skimmer is working awesome. Got that Autoaqua skimmer security device and its Basically a point of sale. Sure its a great idea but if it doesn't work then it is still a great idea. Anytime a drop of water, or high humidity fogs the eye, or skimate in a skimmer (surprise) gets on this thing it beeps until you unplug and replug it. GARBAGE!!! Once you do this you are lucky if it turns back on as it is sensitive and strong words hurt its feelings. So could i use it on something else with a large monetary investment for solenoids and such sure. But am I willing to hear it going off at 3AM repeatedly until you unplug it or shut off the outlet.......Nope!

Cleaner shrimp added he's doing well enough. Peppermint shrimps new home is in the sump since they seem to think Rock Flowers are mmmm tasty. Caught them picking at one and that was enough to get them moved.

Green BTA added.....Kind of looks like it would be named a green slimer but then sometimes he's not as bright. Another Rock flower added as well.

Urchin is ticking me off since he keeps eating at the macro (which is actually fine) but when he leaves the feeding area he takes the macro with him stuck to his pins!!!!!!! Demon urchin!!!!!

Other than that slow rolling. Tossed one of my koralia pumps (600gph) in the sump to move water across and through the chaeto better. Seems to keep the chaeto a bit cleaner and hopefully keeps the chaeto growing well with fresh nitrates and phosphates to eat on.

Added amphipods to the display directly as well and i am finally starting to see them scurry all over the rock. Hopefully they help a bit with all the snail POO. Wow I never noticed snail POO when I had sand in my tanks. But wow do these things POO a lot. Top Crown Snails are just constantly dropping POO. Ok that's the last POO I will say.

And why is my tank uptaking alk/mag/and calc. It is taking it slowly but its for sure using these elements and i do not see any precipitation yet. Crzyness.

Pictures incoming.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back