ThePurple12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you be sticking with BTAs, or will you get something like a carpet or a magnifica?

Also, let me know where you buy the Hypnea from, as I can't find any anywhere!

OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually one of my Nems fooled me completely. It is actually a magnifica haha. Its tentacles looked one way for a week or 2 and now its 100% magnifica.

Also I gave in and got fish. The tank wasn't staying dirty enough for the anemones it didn't seem. I tossed in a pair of clowns (forget variation) and an Orange shoulder tang........Yes he's tiny........no he will not spend his whole life in the tank......yes I know a 1 inch tang needs 3000 gallons for proper room........and when it gets big enough I will trade him off for another healthy specimen for a couple years.

Added a few Nassarius snails, anemone crabs, and a pink tip bta. Tanks acting properly now and the nutrients are slowly creeping up as they are supposed to. I actually tossed a biopellet reactor on the tank that was laying around in the basement and have that rolling now. With the Biopellet reactor (maybe 4 weeks old) my nitrates and phosphates are staying nice and low which allows me to dose seachems fuel daily and reef chilli. So the nems are getting amminos, carbs, and vitamins daily without driving my nutrients crazy. Also I added a few encrusting corals to take up some nutrients in the tank when the sump is off. I plan to add a few more and if they die off due to stings from the nems then oh well that's fine. Pavona is a nice cheap one, some sort of pink encrusting LPS with purple dots, and I will probably add some other encruster and some gsp. I figure when these increase in size then I can dial back and or eliminate the reactor.

Oh yea I have some turf algae in the sump so that's the main reason I added the reactor. to get rid of it before it spreads. So far it has almost receded into nothingness. I have it on a dc pump so I can lower it a few more settings before eliminating it completely (by tossing it on another tank).

Also I ordered the Aquabiomics test and received it in the mail a day or 2 ago. I know this takes a few weeks to get results but I figure I will take the sample in the morning and drop it off at the post office for it to get underway. Hey it may not help me at all in the end but I really like the idea of knowing what types of bacteria have taken hold and what the tank is lacking. I will for sure post those results on here once I get them. That should be extremely interesting to see since I went from dry rock to a live thriving tank without any live additions other than coral/frags/nems/Cuc.

Also I forgot how addicting this mess is and have been pricing sumps to replace the 40 breeder. May end up having my LFS make one. They made my last sump and that thing was so efficient and competitively priced that it was insane.

I will post some images this weekend if I have time.

Oh almost forgot that I picked up a xr15 g3 for the tank. A freidn got rid of the light reeflink and mounting arm for 200 bucks. Tossed in the mobius rf module (didnt work) so I took it out and am currently running with the original for now. But yea so my a160 is on the right and xr15 is on the left. I have them matching power so to say, so the a160 maxed and xr15 at like 35-40%. Eventually I may replace that bad boy with a 360x but for now its working well. Actually interesting seeing a ton of shimmer on one side of the tank and little shimmer on the other side though. May even trade the xr15 for a 360 or something who knows. Kessils's shimmer is just outstanding in comparison but the xr15 just has such raw power.

Thank you all for following my journey.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks still going strong but there have been so many changes I do not know where to start. So I guess I will start with a few images and then here soon add a few more and spell out the changes.
20220121_155609.jpg

20220226_202829.jpg

20220206_160429.jpg

20220121_155705.jpg

Attachments

• 20220206_160429.jpg
    20220206_160429.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
rawhideshaba

rawhideshaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has reached its end because I am not a fan of the small tanks. I now have a 225 gallon tank that I am preparing to setup for an in wall tank. This will be my forever tank hopefully as I am tired of carrying these monster tanks haha. I will be starting a 225 Gallon tank build soon with all inhabitants switching over to the larger tank. Many that I never updated here will also be included and a few exclusions will be finding a new home as well.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This thread has reached its end because I am not a fan of the small tanks. I now have a 225 gallon tank that I am preparing to setup for an in wall tank. This will be my forever tank hopefully as I am tired of carrying these monster tanks haha. I will be starting a 225 Gallon tank build soon with all inhabitants switching over to the larger tank. Many that I never updated here will also be included and a few exclusions will be finding a new home as well.
Dope! Can't wait to see the new tank!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back