Anemone advice

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure this has been asked before. What type of Anemone would you advise me to get if I have a pair of perculas? I have a 75 gallon. Hopefully will have some corals down the road. I know that the anemone may walk around on me, so I was hoping to put it in first.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a look at these two. Any suggestions on where to buy one on line? What do you think about a bubble tip or long tentacle ?

I don’t know anything about LTAs (need sand I think?). I would look around Galactic Corals and Blue Zoo Aquatics

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haddoni's, like LTAs also require a sand bed (LTAs probably a deeper sand bed, 3-4" minimum).

Perculas and Oscellaris will host BTAs, but they're not their naturally occuring host in the wild, so it will may time for them to accept a BTA.

If you want a more natural host for Percs, Giganteas and Magnificas are probably more suitable, but more demanding/difficult. I think they'd be more apt to take to a Sebae or Malu as well (both also more difficult than Haddoni or BTAs).

Here's the sticky thread on what anemone and clownfish species are natural pairs: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/whats-with-what.40954/

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LTAs are easy to keep if(BIG IF) you get one with no foot damage(a pin hole in the foot is damage). If it's not attached at the store don't buy it. They live in sand/gravel, search my other threads for how I keep mine in a bare bottom tank(pictures). My ocellaris clowns would not go by my BTA for months but went into my LTA in less than a week.
I'm with ARGiBK a Haddoni is your best bet although a little(just a little) harder to keep than a BTA or LTA.

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75 gal is big enough. If you feel up to it get a small Gigantea or Magnifica.
they are natural hosts for Percula. I would also consider a H. malu. This is not a natural host of Percula but I find that Percula and Ocellaris readily accept Malu as host.
Malu is a small anemone only get to about 8 inches and live in the sand bed. Gigantea and Magnifica are rock dweller and significantly harder to keep then Malu.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the little bit of research I have done. The BTA and LTA are easier to care for. Then the malu. Liveaquaria has the Gigantea or Magnifica as expert only. Sound right to you guys? But it is possible that the perc will host in any of these right?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
From the little bit of research I have done. The BTA and LTA are easier to care for. Then the malu. Liveaquaria has the Gigantea or Magnifica as expert only. Sound right to you guys? But it is possible that the perc will host in any of these right?

Percs and oscellaris aren't that picky, but it is a leap for them host BTAs and maybe LTAs.

Gigs and mags aren't that difficult if you have adequate equipment, the hard part is sourcing a healthy one and/or being prepared to treat if you receive a sick nem.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t treat or quarantine. I don’t test, and I am by no means an expert. My Gig is going great, open all the time, has already gotten bigger.

I don’t have a Mag........yet. Trying to find a healthy one.

I have kept BTAs (same one) since 2 weeks after getting my first tank ever setup..... So over 18 months now. Very healthy

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O was able to get her pair to host a bta after a week. Playing a video of the clown hosting a bta helps not a garentee. Bta are onw the easiest nems to care for. aptasia, rfa than bta.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t treat or quarantine. I don’t test, and I am by no means an expert. My Gig is going great, open all the time, has already gotten bigger.

I don’t have a Mag........yet. Trying to find a healthy one.

I have kept BTAs (same one) since 2 weeks after getting my first tank ever setup..... So over 18 months now. Very healthy
One can always get lucky. Also nowadays almost all dealers treat the anemones that they are holding. IMO, it is difficult to get a Gigantea today that never come in contact with antibiotic in it journey from the ocean to our tank.

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One can always get lucky. Also nowadays almost all dealers treat the anemones that they are holding. IMO, it is difficult to get a Gigantea today that never come in contact with antibiotic in it journey from the ocean to our tank.

I am pretty set on holding out for @galactic_coral to start selling Mags again..... Not sure I want to risk other retailers, but honestly Mags cost a lot less than I expected, so I may order a half-bleached one

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back