Anemone and Live rock

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first anemone yesterday (green bubble tip). It's attached to a live rock and I have it quarantined. How long should I keep it in it's own tank before moving both the rock and anemone into my tank?

I have a 40 gallon with fake plants and fake decor. 1 green spotted puffer and 5 mollies. I am wanting to get more live rocks and eventually get a blenny, for my algae (my puffer eats all the snails and shrimp I have put in there)
IMG_20210302_161022.jpg

I have tried asking all the aquarium sites on facebook, but no one will respond to my posts :-(

OP
OP
M

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly. . . . . ..
The gravel has no buffering capability.
the plants are sharp plastic and will injure your fish
The log is likely tinting or will tint your water yellow and make it acidic (PH).
the light is insufficient and will promote algae
Tap water is going to be your enemy.

This looks very familiar to a tank a customer had when i had my pet store and after the customer returning 3 damsels the same day dead, I tested her water and could not come up with a reading. To make a long story short, she was using Morton salt and had gravel, etc.

What salt are you using?
Do you have test kits and what type?
What type of heater are you using ?

At a $30/mo budget, I would revert back to Freshwater and slowly buy necessities off craigslist or R2R marketplace. I have 34 years in the hobby and believe me, with your plan/setup/budget, this is Not going to end well.
Speaking on my behalf and for likely others, I dont want to discourage you and we welcome you as a reefer but you have to be ready for expense, challenge, patience, research and advice.
I use instant ocean
api saltwater master kit, digital salinity tester
Aquion 200 pro
I can't go freshwater, becuase of my puffer (had for almost two years. Had to upgrade to a 40 gallon, because he outgrew the 20.)

Upvote 0

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is not suitable for any anemone or coral. Better to just return it and research any live stock before you buy it

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tank has been set up for a couple months. Salinity 1.023, did water change yesterday. two hob aqua clear 50's
1.024-1.025 is recommended.
Your test kit is known for false readings and you may want to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that DOES NOT use API test kits and have them test for you to verify reading
THIS CIRCUMSTANCE IS UNFORTUNATE AND DO NOT BLAME YOURSELF, BUT RATHER THE STORE WHO SOLD YOU ANYTHING FOR LACK OF GUIDANCE.

Upvote 0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean
api saltwater master kit, digital salinity tester
Aquion 200 pro
I can't go freshwater, becuase of my puffer (had for almost two years. Had to upgrade to a 40 gallon, because he outgrew the 20.)
I would say continue and enjoy the animals you currently have but return the anemone for now , plenty of good advice in the thread already and remember everyone is trying to help you best of luck !

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

montgrl99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're going to need to most likely completely start over.

Do I have to get a sump pump, or can I get a canister filter?

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you dont need a sump, and canister filters are really for freshwater and not saltwater tanks. It is crucial you are using purified (rodi) water as well

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont know about brakish puffers but saltwater ones can eat anemones as well, i dont think you can put corals in with it in the future either

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back