Anemone ate clownfish?

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i had 2 maroon clowns and one of the clowns was slightly bullied (had fin damage) and stayed in a corner. It has been missing for 2 days and i suspect that it died and one of the two long tentacle anemones i have ate it. I looked around for the clowns body under the rocks and did not find anything. My clean up crew is 4 red leg hermit crabs, 6 turbo snails. What are the odds that it died and the anemone ate it vs the hermit crabs eating it?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how large the hermits are. I have a blue leg that is almost too big for a full sized Mexican turbo shell. Even then I highly doubt it could make a fish disappear very quickly. I would bet the fish either ended up in the rocks where you can't see it or jumped out of the tank.

OP
OP
SirDukelll

SirDukelll

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown was just a little bigger than the hermits, a juvenile. I keep glass tops on my tank as well. I looked under and all around my rocks but did not see him.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is very porous and if it is small that makes it even more likely. It could also be hiding in the rocks, There is no small opening in the lid where wires or plumbing goes through or an overflow?

ewanho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish was rubbing alot in the anemone fronds and after a few mins he was gone; the anemone was swollen and I think he ate the clownfish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back