Anemone Death and Ammonia Spike Recovery

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble tip anemone had a run-in with a power head a few weeks ago and crawled behind some rocks. I wanted to give him a chance to recover, but he didn’t make it. I found him today and he was clearly dead so I went to remove him from the tank. As soon as I touched him, he burst open. He basically disintegrated. The tank water turned almost white. And the smell was horrendous.

I removed as much of him as I could with a net and then did a test for ammonia. The test immediately turned green. It had been at 0 just the previous day. So I did a 40 gallon water change. My tank is 125 gallons with a 20 gallon sump. The ammonia is still high. The water is still cloudy. Should I dose with Safe (powder version of Prime)? Should I do another water change right now? Should I just wait until tomorrow and then do another water change? I’ve never used safe/prime on this tank before. Part of me wonders if it’s really that healthy for the fish.

Any advice appreciated!

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen you posted this yesterday, how is your tank going? Did you do a second water change and are you running carbon?

ashtonnnnn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bubble tip anemone had a run-in with a power head a few weeks ago and crawled behind some rocks. I wanted to give him a chance to recover, but he didn’t make it. I found him today and he was clearly dead so I went to remove him from the tank. As soon as I touched him, he burst open. He basically disintegrated. The tank water turned almost white. And the smell was horrendous.

I removed as much of him as I could with a net and then did a test for ammonia. The test immediately turned green. It had been at 0 just the previous day. So I did a 40 gallon water change. My tank is 125 gallons with a 20 gallon sump. The ammonia is still high. The water is still cloudy. Should I dose with Safe (powder version of Prime)? Should I do another water change right now? Should I just wait until tomorrow and then do another water change? I’ve never used safe/prime on this tank before. Part of me wonders if it’s really that healthy for the fish.

Any advice appreciated!
happened to me like a week ago with a rfa in an aio, 50% water changed made it all clear up

OP
OP
brianhama

brianhama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seen you posted this yesterday, how is your tank going? Did you do a second water change and are you running carbon?
I didn’t want to stress the fish more so I haven’t done any additional water changes. I also didn’t use safe. The levels have gone back to zero today. Sadly, one fish did die, but the rest look to be doing fine.

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you got it under control! Sorry to hear you lost a fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back