Anemone half mad half happy

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Rainbow BTA I ordered off of eBay has been in my tank for 4 days now. I fed it a rice size piece of krill on the second day and a pencil eraser size piece of raw shrimp today. I fed it because half of the nem is puffyish and the other half is retracted. The tips of the tentacles have been white (not getting worse). I’m guessing the nem is still acclimating, but I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else’s anemone.
Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to not feed at all for the first 2 weeks. Anemone do not need to be fed like that. It can actually add to the stress of a new home. Even months down the road once a week is fine, even once a month.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to not feed at all for the first 2 weeks. Anemone do not need to be fed like that. It can actually add to the stress of a new home. Even months down the road once a week is fine, even once a month.
I’ve been told to feed and not to feed. Since the tips were white, I figured I’d go for it, but maybe it wasn’t the right call

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post a picture for better results. :)
F706FD73-03BC-4C20-926B-D9B0700B0E21.jpeg
Found this pic from a couple days ago. When I fed the krill. Although it appears the food is causing the tentacles to retract, it was like that before the food was placed

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look fantastic but if it is holding on leave it alone and let it get used to the space. As others have said, you don't need to feed it again until July 4th, it can capture drift food and be very happy.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look fantastic but if it is holding on leave it alone and let it get used to the space. As others have said, you don't need to feed it again until July 4th, it can capture drift food and be very happy.
Sounds good!!

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What happens on the 4th of July that makes feeding it ok?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KrisReef Since I fed it a piece of shrimp, do you think it’ll get sick?
The idea is that the anemone is already stressed and using energy to get acclimated to a new area. Then you're adding the energy needed to digest something. Chances are it was spit out at some point anyway. Just let it be for a while is the best course of action.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is that the anemone is already stressed and using energy to get acclimated to a new area. Then you're adding the energy needed to digest something. Chances are it was spit out at some point anyway. Just let it be for a while is the best course of action.
Ahhh okay! In my mind I was thinking that I was giving it more energy by feeding, but I guess digesting also takes a lot of energy. I’ll leave it be :)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh okay! In my mind I was thinking that I was giving it more energy by feeding, but I guess digesting also takes a lot of energy. I’ll leave it be :)
All of the energy they need is obtained through light and water conditions. Feeding under good conditions promotes growth and splitting. Right now, you're just looking for it to be happy and safe. Feeding, anything hands on, light changes, and swinging parameters make the situation worse.

OP
OP
beehive124

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of the energy they need is obtained through light and water conditions. Feeding under good conditions promotes growth and splitting. Right now, you're just looking for it to be happy and safe. Feeding, anything hands on, light changes, and swinging parameters make the situation worse.
Good thing all my params are stable! Haven’t messed with any lights

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@KrisReef @Jekyl Today it looked good, until about 3 pm when it shriveled and opened it’s mouth. Now it’s returning back to normal. Is there any explanation behind this?
Unless it looks like it's melting I wouldn't be concerned. One of my nems goes from 12" to 3" daily.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back