Anemone hermit crab stripping...

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, noticed today that my anemone hermit crab is not in its shell...
20210802_144831.jpg

Is this normal, should i be doing something? Thanks.

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crabs does change their exoskeleton as they grow.
When doing this they get soft a couple of days until they get a hard shell again. Leave the old inthere as they might eat it. It still contains lots of Calcium that they need :)
I think you will see it again in a couple of days.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most crabs molt to grow larger shells. HERMIT crabs find new shells, hence "hermit". You need to make larger shells available to the hermit to switch to.

Holst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most crabs molt to grow larger shells. HERMIT crabs find new shells, hence "hermit". You need to make larger shells available to the hermit to switch to.
Your right, but I didn't exspect it to be a HERMIT crab when it was an ananome crab also :) But instead an Porcelain Anemone crab or something similar.

But HERMIT crabs also changes their Exoskeleton while growing, and when the shell is too small they go hunt for another between the snails ! :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right, but I didn't exspect it to be a HERMIT crab when it was an ananome crab also :) But instead an Porcelain Anemone crab or something similar.

But HERMIT crabs also changes their Exoskeleton while growing, and when the shell is too small they go hunt for another between the snails ! :)
This is how he looked all these while...
20210725_224529.jpg

And this is how he looks now.. hiding in his cave.
20210802_144833.jpg

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you saw the crab move without the shell? What the others were saying is that your crab got bigger and that isn't the actual crab, it's the molt.
Generally for hermit crabs you will never see them out of their shell, unless they are quickly switching to a new shell.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you saw the crab move without the shell? What the others were saying is that your crab got bigger and that isn't the actual crab, it's the molt.
Generally for hermit crabs you will never see them out of their shell, unless they are quickly switching to a new shell.
Oh I see... no I didn't see it moving around without the shell. I saw 'something' like the crab (which could be its molted frame of the crab) in the cave and I thought it is the crab. So, the crab could still be in the shell waiting for the right moment to come out. Thanks.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the wild, the hermit crab will find a new shell and transfer its nems over. I think I saw this on video once.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's still alive, throw some bigger shells in there asap.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the wild, the hermit crab will find a new shell and transfer its nems over. I think I saw this on video once.
Happy to hear hear that it will bring over its nems as well, thanks. Placed a few bigger shells in the talk... lets see.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today morning, I was horrified to see the soft bodied crab somehow pulled by and stuck on my wave maker... luckly i had a net on the wave maker and by the time i rescued him (he was still alive) he lost parts of his limbs... really hoping he will make it.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today morning, I was horrified to see the soft bodied crab somehow pulled by and stuck on my wave maker... luckly i had a net on the wave maker and by the time i rescued him (he was still alive) he lost parts of his limbs... really hoping he will make it.
After few days now, the crab is very much alive but refusing to go into his shell or other shells... not sure why.
20210806_223346.jpg

Hope he will do so soon.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen the crab for a few days now... don't think he is still alive. I only have the empty shell with the anemones on it.
20210816_004137.jpg

Not sure if they will survive too long without their care giver.... any suggestions on what i should do with those anemones? Don't want to let them just die like that. Thanks.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have not seen the crab for a few days now... don't think he is still alive. I only have the empty shell with the anemones on it.
20210816_004137.jpg

Not sure if they will survive too long without their care giver.... any suggestions on what i should do with those anemones? Don't want to let them just die like that. Thanks.
Hi Experts, Some update and questions.

Have not seen the the hermit crab for many days now, very likely I lost it for good. So, the shell and its anemones were abandoned as well... in the process 1 out of the 3 died. Today however I noticed the other 2 anemones started climbing onto the rock nearby.

My questions:
1. Are these anemones safe to be in the tank without its host?
2. Mine is a mixed tank, will these anemones cause any harm (like stinging the other tank mates) if they move around?
3. Should I leave it or remove it?

Thanks & best regards.

dado150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Experts, Some update and questions.

Have not seen the the hermit crab for many days now, very likely I lost it for good. So, the shell and its anemones were abandoned as well... in the process 1 out of the 3 died. Today however I noticed the other 2 anemones started climbing onto the rock nearby.

My questions:
1. Are these anemones safe to be in the tank without its host?
2. Mine is a mixed tank, will these anemones cause any harm (like stinging the other tank mates) if they move around?
3. Should I leave it or remove it?

Thanks & best regards.
Did you ever figure out your anemone issue? My crab just died & the anemone is still currently on the shell.

OP
OP
ssunthar

ssunthar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever figure out your anemone issue? My crab just died & the anemone is still currently on the shell.
After realizing that my crab had died... i transferred the shell with the anemones to my refugium.. its been a few months now and i occasionally see the anemone there still alive.

dado150

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. I've been feeding this one when I feed my others. Seems happy still hanging out on the shell.

Attachments

• 20220412_153001.jpg
    20220412_153001.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 19

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back