Anemone ID and health???

  • Thread starter Thread starter Vahanyos
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2016
Messages
1,195
Reaction score
845
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

I picked up this beauty a few days ago but I'm not entirely sure what it is... I am thinking a bubble tip but there's really no "bubble" on the tentacles... also, if you see in the pics it has multiple white streaks around its mouth and it started to discharge this black goo stuff from his mouth... should I be worried? He hasn't moved since I put him in and just yesterday my clown started hosting it and playing on it... any input appreciated. Thanks!!

I also noticed it put one of its tentacles in its mouth , but my guess is that the tentacle had some food on it and he is just eating it... who knows??

IMG_1662.JPG
IMG_1661.JPG
IMG_1660.JPG
IMG_1658.JPG
IMG_1657.JPG
IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1654.JPG
IMG_1652.JPG
IMG_1650.JPG
 
Hello,

That is Entacmaea quadricolor, or the "bubble tip anemone". I've noticed when they're larger that the tentacles will usually not be as inflated and bulbous as much as smaller ones. The brown good it's expelling is likely just waste, and if you plan on target feeding it (I would recommend doing that weekly) then you'll see that every now and again. If your lighting is significant different then it could be expelling zooxanthellae (algae living inside it) but it's more likely that it's just waste. Other than a little stressed it looks fine (:
 
Hello,

That is Entacmaea quadricolor, or the "bubble tip anemone". I've noticed when they're larger that the tentacles will usually not be as inflated and bulbous as much as smaller ones. The brown good it's expelling is likely just waste, and if you plan on target feeding it (I would recommend doing that weekly) then you'll see that every now and again. If your lighting is significant different then it could be expelling zooxanthellae (algae living inside it) but it's more likely that it's just waste. Other than a little stressed it looks fine :)

^ Yup.
 
So the white streaks is normal? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little stressed since I just put it in there. Probably just getting used to it's new home
 
So the white streaks is normal? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little stressed since I just put it in there. Probably just getting used to it's new home
Have had my rose bubble over a year and the white streaks and "goo" are all normal.
 
So the white streaks is normal? I wouldn't be surprised if it's a little stressed since I just put it in there. Probably just getting used to it's new home

Yes perfectly normal for a BTA.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new