Anemone Identification

  • Thread starter Thread starter choss
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

choss

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 29, 2015
Messages
811
Reaction score
796
Location
Scarsdale New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use an opinion on this anemone - it came with gulf live rock.

IMG_5954.JPG
IMG_5955.JPG
 
Look like Bartholomea annulata ( curleycue anemone).
 
so it seems to be difficult to keep in an aquarium unlike a common aiptasia. So I guess its not considered a pest?
 
I think they are also called lightbulb anemones. That guys tenticles will swell up a bit if you feed it. I had a bunch come on my live rock which also came from the Gulf. I heard they were colonial and would spread but mine have stayed pretty tame. I killed a lot of them by injecting them with boiling water so I could clear some landscape for corals. I still have 3 huge ones in a corner area and they don’t seem to bother anything or want to split or spread.
 
Here’s a pic, these can get about a 3” spread. I don’t target feed them anymore and they are not nearly as plump.

E6D9455B-089C-433C-B8A1-5496A92CA9FD.jpeg
 
great - thanks for the info. I'm not sure yet if I will keep mine but as long as they don't spread I will probably give it a go.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new