Anemone in Wavemaker

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Stuck or shredded ? He seems like maybe a tentacle or 2 got messed up but the rest seems fine just maybe stuck. I turned off the wave makers

What should I do?

49441097-4FB9-4AB5-9DAC-C87B4AF99F47.jpeg 950479A2-9E5D-40B1-A314-98B60C661B4A.jpeg 2DDE11F2-090D-4E5D-A0B5-D1955F7AD8C5.jpeg

Last edited:

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the foot never made. You should be able to remove fairly easy and relocate it. Thank goodness for the nemgaurds.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuck or shredded ? He seems like maybe a tentacle or 2 got messed up but the rest seems fine just maybe stuck. I turned off the wave makers

What should I do?

49441097-4FB9-4AB5-9DAC-C87B4AF99F47.jpeg 950479A2-9E5D-40B1-A314-98B60C661B4A.jpeg 2DDE11F2-090D-4E5D-A0B5-D1955F7AD8C5.jpeg
I would gently place a finger (like your pinky) into the small gap between the foot, tank and wave maker. From there, gently apply pressure and ease the nem away from all of it. I suggest working at the glass section of the foot first. This may take a few minutes, but you should be able to get the nem to release. Just go slow and be gentle. After the nem is loose, place somewhere in lower flow and about mid to high level of the tank and try to find a hole that nem can bury its foot into. Not saying it will stay there, but better chance if it has a place to sink it's foot into.

After that, turn PH back on and watch the nem. Do not leave flow off for the nem to settle, this may allow it to settle then, but as soon as you kick the flow back on, it will move again.

Also, keep water parameters stable and the nem should heal just fine. A few tents missing is usually nothing for a rbta.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like the foot never made. You should be able to remove fairly easy and relocate it. Thank goodness for the nemgaurds.
I know right , I have to go to work, can I leave him there for a bit till I can come back and remove him at lunch ? Some tentacles did get hurt but should he just pull himself out ? he seems to be moving already to

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 55

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know right , I have to go to work, can I leave him there for a bit till I can come back and remove him at lunch ? Some tentacles did get hurt but should he just pull himself out ? he seems to be moving already to
Either is fine, as long as the tank will be OK without the PH turned on. Personally I would remove as soon as I could, so that I know the nem is in a location that it can be moved. Would hate for nem to move ont he nem guard and bury its foot in that. Very hard to peel away then. Much easier where it is at now.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Either is fine, as long as the tank will be OK without the PH turned on. Personally I would remove as soon as I could, so that I know the nem is in a location that it can be moved. Would hate for nem to move ont he nem guard and bury its foot in that. Very hard to peel away then. Much easier where it is at now.
What do you mean by PH ?
Edit: oh ok power head

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just leave the the Vortech powerhead off until you can get to it. I had the same situation and found using a credit card to coax it off a better tool then my finger nail.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some foot did get stuck, I tried to pull him out and won’t budge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 65

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some foot did get stuck, I tried to pull him out and won’t budge
Best to leave it at this point and hope it moves off the PH. If it does not, there are a few options, being as one of them is using a cold spoon, go ahead and put a spoon in the freezer now, just in case. Report back later and I can walk you through doing that method, if needed.

But again, should be no harm in leaving it and hoping it moves off of it while you are at work.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best to leave it at this point and hope it moves off the PH. If it does not, there are a few options, being as one of them is using a cold spoon, go ahead and put a spoon in the freezer now, just in case. Report back later and I can walk you through doing that method, if needed.

But again, should be no harm in leaving it and hoping it moves off of it while you are at work.
Will do, I’ll tell the wife to throw one in haha. I’ll let y’all know when I get back

thanks for the advice so far

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I am back. He walked below the PH and his foot isn’t lodged in it anymore like it was.
Spoon is frozen. What’s your idea lol

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 56

ReefLife_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you just take the nemguard off and put it on a rock or bottom of the rocks? I feel like that will coax him off if he feels that the nemguard is no longer in an ideal spot.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am back. He walked below the PH and his foot isn’t lodged in it anymore like it was.
Spoon is frozen. What’s your idea lol
OK, so if he is on the glass alone, an old gift card or credit card can be used to gently work under his foot to remove him. Should be no need for a cold spoon, as it does not work that well on a flat surface.

Just gently work the card in between the foot and the glass and keep the card at slight angle. Think of when you clean you glass at how the scraper is at an angle. Again, just slowly work at the foot and do not apply much pressure when working at it.

OP
OP
radreef02

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, so if he is on the glass alone, an old gift card or credit card can be used to gently work under his foot to remove him. Should be no need for a cold spoon, as it does not work that well on a flat surface.

Just gently work the card in between the foot and the glass and keep the card at slight angle. Think of when you clean you glass at how the scraper is at an angle. Again, just slowly work at the foot and do not apply much pressure when working at it.
He is only on the nem guard

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is only on the nem guard
Can you safely remove nem guard?

If so you can remove it and then take the spoon to touch the nems foot gently, usually the cold will cause them to retract the foot out of the holes and make it possible to remove the nem. If that does not work, I would set the nem guard in a shaded area with little flow, as this will cause the nem to want to move off of it to be in the light and have some flow.

Just do not try to force anything and take it slow.

Chayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not remove the power head out of the tank and hold it upside down and catch it when it releases.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not remove the power head out of the tank and hold it upside down and catch it when it releases.
This can take quite a bit of time to do. I have had nems on rocks sit out of the water for almost an hour before and not budge. Not saying it cannot be done, but nems do their own thing and do not always cooperate how we want them to lol.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can take quite a bit of time to do. I have had nems on rocks sit out of the water for almost an hour before and not budge. Not saying it cannot be done, but nems do their own thing and do not always cooperate how we want them to lol.
Nems be weird

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back